    It says made in Japan.
    Where is that ??.

    !!!!!!!!

    GS, Dec 22, 2010

  2. GS

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:23:29 GMT, (GS) wrote:
    : I bought an Eveready charger.
    :
    : It says made in Japan.
    : Where is that ??.
    :
    :
    : !!!!!!!!

    Some time back, there was supposedly a town in Japan that named itself "USA"
    (a phonologically plausible name in Japanese), so that they could label their
    products "Made in USA". Maybe David Littleboy could tell us whether there's
    any truth to that yarn.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Dec 23, 2010

  3. GS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:38:51 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:23:29 GMT, (GS) wrote:
    >: I bought an Eveready charger.
    >:
    >: It says made in Japan.
    >: Where is that ??.
    >:
    >:
    >: !!!!!!!!
    >
    >Some time back, there was supposedly a town in Japan that named itself "USA"
    >(a phonologically plausible name in Japanese), so that they could label their
    >products "Made in USA". Maybe David Littleboy could tell us whether there's
    >any truth to that yarn.

    Snopes says "False".
    http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 23, 2010
  4. GS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:53:22 -0600, Allen <>
    wrote:

    >On 12/23/2010 7:38 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:23:29 GMT, (GS) wrote:
    >> : I bought an Eveready charger.
    >> :
    >> : It says made in Japan.
    >> : Where is that ??.
    >> :
    >> :
    >> : !!!!!!!!
    >>
    >> Some time back, there was supposedly a town in Japan that named itself "USA"
    >> (a phonologically plausible name in Japanese), so that they could label their
    >> products "Made in USA". Maybe David Littleboy could tell us whether there's
    >> any truth to that yarn.
    >>
    >> Bob

    >"Some time back" was 80 to 90 years ago--in the 1920s; I first read it
    >as a child in the 1930s. I also seem to recall that it was in one of
    >Bennett Cerf's books in the 1940s. My favorite of those thing was the
    >story he told about ads placed in rural California newspapers that said
    >"Want to stop your cow from drooling? Send ten cents to (address)". The
    >responders received a penny postcard saying "Teach your cow to spit".
    >And yes, there was a time when postcards cost a penny to mail.
    >Allen

    I still have a supply of postcards that I'm holding until the rates go
    down: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/postcards.jpg
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 23, 2010
  5. GS

    peter Guest

    On 12/23/2010 11:11 AM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:53:22 -0600, Allen<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 12/23/2010 7:38 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:23:29 GMT, (GS) wrote:
    >>> : I bought an Eveready charger.
    >>> :
    >>> : It says made in Japan.
    >>> : Where is that ??.
    >>> :
    >>> :
    >>> : !!!!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Some time back, there was supposedly a town in Japan that named itself "USA"
    >>> (a phonologically plausible name in Japanese), so that they could label their
    >>> products "Made in USA". Maybe David Littleboy could tell us whether there's
    >>> any truth to that yarn.
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> "Some time back" was 80 to 90 years ago--in the 1920s; I first read it
    >> as a child in the 1930s. I also seem to recall that it was in one of
    >> Bennett Cerf's books in the 1940s. My favorite of those thing was the
    >> story he told about ads placed in rural California newspapers that said
    >> "Want to stop your cow from drooling? Send ten cents to (address)". The
    >> responders received a penny postcard saying "Teach your cow to spit".
    >> And yes, there was a time when postcards cost a penny to mail.
    >> Allen

    > I still have a supply of postcards that I'm holding until the rates go
    > down: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/postcards.jpg

    Years before the USPS issued the forever stamp. I sarcastically said to
    a secretary that she ought to buy a five year supply of stamps today as
    the price was going up tomorrow.
    Yes, she was that dumb.
    No she es not a blond.
    And Yes as a result, I had to outlay almost $1,000.

    --
    Peter

    peter, Dec 24, 2010
  6. GS