    I give my child a substance that he absolutely LOVES.
    He sniffs it, snorts it, eats it and rolls around on
    the floor in it. I wonder if this makes me a bad parent.
    Daniel Prince, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Daniel Prince

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Daniel Prince <> wrote:

    > Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    > AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    > keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Ansmann Energy 8 or Ansmann Energy 16. They also do 9V cells and, with
    an adapter, N cells.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Daniel Prince

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:00:46 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Bob Salomon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Daniel Prince <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    >> AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    >> keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    >Ansmann Energy 8 or Ansmann Energy 16. They also do 9V cells and, with
    >an adapter, N cells.

    These are pricey and FWIW I just had a bad experience with an Energy 8
    while on vacation. As I really only wanted the ability to charge sets of
    AA, I decided to replace it with Maha 401FS to use with my old 204F Al
    least Thomas Distributing customer service proved excellent during this
    otherwise bad experience.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Daniel Prince

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Ruf <> wrote:

    > I just had a bad experience with an Energy 8
    > while on vacation

    You are in the vast minority of users. However any product can have a
    bad one.

    But a simple question.

    The AC plug on the Energy 8 and 16 is the standard EU plug and the USA
    version comes with a US adapter. That adapter has 2 rubber caps on the
    side the upper one which cover a set screw that locks the adapter firmly
    to the EU plug.

    Had you removed the rubber cap and tightened the screw so the adapter is
    always properly positioned on the plug?

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Daniel Prince

    Bill Bannon Guest

    Re: Charger similar to Maha etc. Perhaps dumb followup

    What is wrong with the $27 RayOVac and Energizer One-Hour chargers? Do they
    heat up too much.

    Bill

    Bill Bannon, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Daniel Prince

    Mark B. Guest

    "Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    > AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    > keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Why not just get another Maha 401?

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 29, 2004
  7. Daniel Prince

    Drifter Guest

    Re: Charger similar to Maha etc. Perhaps dumb followup

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:18:11 -0500, "Bill Bannon"
    <> wrote:

    >What is wrong with the $27 RayOVac and Energizer One-Hour chargers? Do they
    >heat up too much.
    >
    >Bill

    You'll get a lot of answers to this, mostly talking about how hard the
    chargers are on the batteries. From my own personal experience (I
    have two of the Ray-O-Vac units) they work just fine. I may be taking
    some life off the batteries say 900 charges rather than 1000 (or
    whatever the numbers may be) but by then I've saved so much money in
    batteries that I just don't worry about the cost of buying another set
    of Nimh batteries.

    I also like the Ray-o-vac charger because each battery gets charged
    independently on it's own circuit so I can charge just 1 battery if
    I'm so inclined.

    Having said that I'm still considering buying one of the Maha units
    because of some of the extra features, but mostly because I'm a gadget
    freak and often need to charge lots of batteries <grin>

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Aug 29, 2004
  8. Daniel Prince

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:48:04 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Mark B."
    <> wrote:

    >"Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    >> AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    >> keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    >Why not just get another Maha 401?

    It only chargers, AA and AAAs, not C and D as well?
    Ed Ruf, Aug 29, 2004
  9. Daniel Prince

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:48:43 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Bob Salomon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Ed Ruf <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just had a bad experience with an Energy 8
    >> while on vacation

    >You are in the vast minority of users. However any product can have a
    >bad one.
    >
    >But a simple question.
    >
    >The AC plug on the Energy 8 and 16 is the standard EU plug and the USA
    >version comes with a US adapter. That adapter has 2 rubber caps on the
    >side the upper one which cover a set screw that locks the adapter firmly
    >to the EU plug.
    >
    >Had you removed the rubber cap and tightened the screw so the adapter is
    >always properly positioned on the plug?

    No, but from what I could tell there was no change in the position and the
    adapter was securely held in place. The charger itself had the smell of
    burnt masonite typically associated with fried electronic components. All I
    know was that it worked fine the day before as I charged all my batteries.
    Something like 24-30 NiMh AAs for my two cameras and GPS. The following
    morning I packed it in my suitcase wrapped in a big beach towel. First,
    time I tried to use it at my destination it was DOA, no lights, no sounds,
    nadda.

    I agree this is only a sample of one and probably not indicative of the
    product overall, but it left me high and dry at critical time, for whatever
    reason.
    Ed Ruf, Aug 29, 2004
  10. Daniel Prince

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ed Ruf wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:48:04 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Mark B."
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    >>>AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    >>>keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    >>Why not just get another Maha 401?

    > It only chargers, AA and AAAs, not C and D as well?
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Sorry, just AA and AAA. 1 to 4, charged individually.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 29, 2004
  11. Daniel Prince

    Mark B. Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:48:04 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Mark B."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Daniel Prince" <> wrote in message
    > >> Is there a good quality nmhi/nicd charger that can charge one to four
    > >> AAA, AA, C, or D cells. I want something similar to the Maha 401 that
    > >> keeps the cells cool. Thank you in advance for all replies.

    > >Why not just get another Maha 401?

    > It only chargers, AA and AAAs, not C and D as well?

    Oh yeah, I guess that would be a problem.

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 29, 2004
  12. Daniel Prince

    chris French Guest

    In message <>, Ed Ruf
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:48:43 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Bob Salomon
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> Ed Ruf <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just had a bad experience with an Energy 8
    >>> while on vacation

    >>You are in the vast minority of users. However any product can have a
    >>bad one.

    <snip>

    >I agree this is only a sample of one and probably not indicative of the
    >product overall, but it left me high and dry at critical time, for whatever
    >reason.

    I've a Energy 8, been very happy with it
    --
    Chris French
    chris French, Aug 30, 2004