    Ari

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 22, 2004

  2. spodosaurus

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <40af9e7f$>,
    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    > batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    > have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    > have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    > them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    > hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    > Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ari

    Ansmann Powerline 4 comes with US, EU, AUS and UK plugs. Powerline 6,
    Energy 8, Energy 16 and Digispeed also work on any current but come with
    US plug in the US so you would just need an adapter. The Digispeed also
    works on 12V.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, May 22, 2004

  3. spodosaurus

    Tom Nelson Guest

    The Maha MH-C124S, MH-C204F and MH-DPB180M chargers come with US-style
    110v power cords and can be ordered with separate Australian-style 220v
    adapters. The cord has the converter built-in to the plug, with a
    mini-plug on the other end to attach it to the body of the charger.
    It's an extra US$10.47 but will fill the bill nicely.

    chargers: http://www.thomas-distributing.com/new-chargers.htm
    adapters: http://thomas-distributing.com/maha-adapters.htm

    You can also get a 100-240v cord with a US-style plug:
    http://thomas-distributing.com/maha-worldadapter.htm

    Tom Nelson

    Tom Nelson, May 22, 2004
  4. spodosaurus

    Ron Hunter Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    > batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    > have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    > have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    > them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    > hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    > Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Ari

    Sure, both Maha and Anasmann make some great chargers that will take
    multiple power voltages/frequencies.
    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2004
  5. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    What about the C401FS? That seems to be the popular new Maha charger (I
    say this from a position of ignorance, mind you).

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  6. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    >> batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA.
    >> I have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer
    >> charger I have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours
    >> to charge them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these
    >> batteries in 1-2 hours, as well as it being compatible with American
    >> and Australia power. Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Ari
    >>

    > Sure, both Maha and Anasmann make some great chargers that will take
    > multiple power voltages/frequencies.

    I've been following up the replies and offerings from both companies
    look great. I was wondering if anyone had any links to places in
    Australia that sell these?

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  7. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bob Salomon wrote:
    > In article <40af9e7f$>,
    > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    >>batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    >>have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    >>have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    >>them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    >>hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    >>Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Ari

    > Ansmann Powerline 4 comes with US, EU, AUS and UK plugs. Powerline 6,
    > Energy 8, Energy 16 and Digispeed also work on any current but come with
    > US plug in the US so you would just need an adapter. The Digispeed also
    > works on 12V.

    I found the Ansmann Energy 8 at Thomas Distributing's web site. I was
    looking at the Maha 401FS there as well that they offer in an
    'international kit'. I'll be looking to see if I can find either of
    these at an Australian site to compare prices (things are usually
    significantly cheaper in the States with electronics, but I like having
    local warranty support).

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  8. spodosaurus

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <40b0c7c1$>,
    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > > spodosaurus wrote:
    > >
    > >> Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    > >> batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA.
    > >> I have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer
    > >> charger I have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours
    > >> to charge them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these
    > >> batteries in 1-2 hours, as well as it being compatible with American
    > >> and Australia power. Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >>
    > >> Ari
    > >>

    > > Sure, both Maha and Anasmann make some great chargers that will take
    > > multiple power voltages/frequencies.

    > I've been following up the replies and offerings from both companies
    > look great. I was wondering if anyone had any links to places in
    > Australia that sell these?

    Soanar Electronic Component Solutions
    9 Civic Square
    Croydon, Victoria 3136

    Tel: +61 / 03 / 9724 0888
    Fax: +61 / 03 / 9724 0878

    E-Mail:
    Web: http://www.soanar.com.au

    is the Australian distributor for Ansmann. They can direct you to a
    retail source there.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, May 23, 2004
  9. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bob Salomon wrote:
    > In article <40af9e7f$>,
    > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    >>batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    >>have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    >>have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    >>them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    >>hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    >>Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Ari

    > Ansmann Powerline 4 comes with US, EU, AUS and UK plugs. Powerline 6,
    > Energy 8, Energy 16 and Digispeed also work on any current but come with
    > US plug in the US so you would just need an adapter. The Digispeed also
    > works on 12V.

    The Ansmann site doesn't list approximate charge times...is it safe to
    assume these are similar to the Maha charge times?

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  10. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bob Salomon wrote:
    > In article <40b0c7c1$>,
    > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>>Sure, both Maha and Anasmann make some great chargers that will take
    >>>multiple power voltages/frequencies.

    >>I've been following up the replies and offerings from both companies
    >>look great. I was wondering if anyone had any links to places in
    >>Australia that sell these?

    > Soanar Electronic Component Solutions
    > 9 Civic Square
    > Croydon, Victoria 3136
    >
    > Tel: +61 / 03 / 9724 0888
    > Fax: +61 / 03 / 9724 0878
    >
    > E-Mail:
    > Web: http://www.soanar.com.au
    >
    > is the Australian distributor for Ansmann. They can direct you to a
    > retail source there.

    Thanks Bob!

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  11. spodosaurus

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <40b0cd76$>,
    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > Bob Salomon wrote:
    > > In article <40af9e7f$>,
    > > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    > >>batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    > >>have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    > >>have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    > >>them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    > >>hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    > >>Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    > >>
    > >>TIA,
    > >>
    > >>Ari

    > > Ansmann Powerline 4 comes with US, EU, AUS and UK plugs. Powerline 6,
    > > Energy 8, Energy 16 and Digispeed also work on any current but come with
    > > US plug in the US so you would just need an adapter. The Digispeed also
    > > works on 12V.
    > >

    > The Ansmann site doesn't list approximate charge times...is it safe to
    > assume these are similar to the Maha charge times?

    The Digispeed will fully charge 2400 mAh AA NiMh cells in 1 1/2 hours.
    The Powerline and Energy series will be about twice that time.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, May 23, 2004
  12. spodosaurus

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <40b0cd76$>,
    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    > Bob Salomon wrote:
    > > In article <40af9e7f$>,
    > > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Does anyone have any recommendations for a charger for AA NiMH
    > >>batteries? It must be dual voltage, for use in Australia and the USA. I
    > >>have a bunch of Energizer NiMH AA batteries, but the Energizer charger I
    > >>have for them is only single voltage AND it takes 15 hours to charge
    > >>them! I'm hoping to order one that will charge these batteries in 1-2
    > >>hours, as well as it being compatible with American and Australia power.
    > >>Any recommendations? Any URLs?
    > >>
    > >>TIA,
    > >>
    > >>Ari

    > > Ansmann Powerline 4 comes with US, EU, AUS and UK plugs. Powerline 6,
    > > Energy 8, Energy 16 and Digispeed also work on any current but come with
    > > US plug in the US so you would just need an adapter. The Digispeed also
    > > works on 12V.
    > >

    > The Ansmann site doesn't list approximate charge times...is it safe to
    > assume these are similar to the Maha charge times?

    Actually they tell you even more. If you click on the charger then click
    on Technical Details. So for the Energy 16 you will get the following:

    Dimensions: 256 x 258 x 77 mm

    Weight: 1200 gr

    Technical Details: Prim: 100-240 V AC / 50-60 Hz
    Sek:
    12 x 1,45 V = 700mA/300mA)
    6 x 1,45 V = 1000mA
    4 x 10,15V = 70mA

    From this it is easy to get the charge time.

    Take the capacity of your battery, say 2000 mAh and add 30% so you now
    have 2600 mAh. Now divide that by the Sek (secondary output) for the
    battery size AA = 1.45V so you have 2800/700 = 4 hours maximum to 100%
    for a fully depleted cell. The back of the charger lists all the cell
    sizes and the max. charge time as well as the secondary output.

    Of course, as these are smart chargers, you can add or remove cells at
    any time without effecting the charging of any other cell and you can
    leave a charged cell in place for any period of time without
    overcharging it, over heating it or damaging it.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, May 23, 2004
  13. spodosaurus

    Peter James Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:39:46 +0800, spodosaurus
    <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >What about the C401FS? That seems to be the popular new Maha charger (I
    >say this from a position of ignorance, mind you).

    I'm using a Maha-C401FS charger and it's very good. But, as an
    electrical ignoramus can anyone tell me if it's safe to try charging
    NiMH batteries of greater capacity than 1800 mAH. That's the capacity
    of battery supplied with the charger, but I see that there are
    batteries available now up to 2300mAH. I imagine the greater the
    capacity the better? Or is this "Battery science" for idiots like me?
    --

    Peter James
    Change AT to @ and dot to . to reply
    Peter James, May 23, 2004
  14. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Peter James wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:39:46 +0800, spodosaurus
    > <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >

    >>What about the C401FS? That seems to be the popular new Maha charger (I
    >>say this from a position of ignorance, mind you).

    > I'm using a Maha-C401FS charger and it's very good. But, as an
    > electrical ignoramus can anyone tell me if it's safe to try charging
    > NiMH batteries of greater capacity than 1800 mAH. That's the capacity
    > of battery supplied with the charger, but I see that there are
    > batteries available now up to 2300mAH. I imagine the greater the
    > capacity the better? Or is this "Battery science" for idiots like me?

    I noticed on the Ansmann site that their charger says it will still work
    with higher capacity batteries of the future. I'm VERY interested to
    hear if the Maha charger will do the same!

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  15. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Peter James wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:39:46 +0800, spodosaurus
    >> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What about the C401FS? That seems to be the popular new Maha charger
    >>> (I say this from a position of ignorance, mind you).

    >> I'm using a Maha-C401FS charger and it's very good. But, as an
    >> electrical ignoramus can anyone tell me if it's safe to try charging
    >> NiMH batteries of greater capacity than 1800 mAH. That's the capacity
    >> of battery supplied with the charger, but I see that there are
    >> batteries available now up to 2300mAH. I imagine the greater the
    >> capacity the better? Or is this "Battery science" for idiots like me?

    > I noticed on the Ansmann site that their charger says it will still work
    > with higher capacity batteries of the future. I'm VERY interested to
    > hear if the Maha charger will do the same!

    From the Thomas Distributing site about the Maha charger:

    "regardless of the batteries capacity and will recharge even the higher
    capacity batteries of the future.."

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

    And from the same site about the Ansmann charger:

    "Will recharge even the higher capacity batteries of the future.."

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/ansmann_battery_charger_5407022.htm

    --
    remove the underscores to unmung the email address...
    spodosaurus, May 23, 2004
  16. pfj AT pfjamesDOTclaraDOTcoDOTuk writes:
    >I'm using a Maha-C401FS charger and it's very good. But, as an
    >electrical ignoramus can anyone tell me if it's safe to try charging
    >NiMH batteries of greater capacity than 1800 mAH. That's the capacity
    >of battery supplied with the charger, but I see that there are
    >batteries available now up to 2300mAH. I imagine the greater the
    >capacity the better?

    The charger will *probably* work just fine with the larger capacity
    cells. It has electronics to detect end of charge, and this will just
    take somewhat longer.

    The exception to this is that some chargers have a time-based safety
    cutoff to protect the cells if the end-of-charge detection doesn't work
    right. In this case, if the new cells are quite a bit higher in
    capacity than the old ones, and fully discharged, then the charger
    might end charging based on the charge time being "too long" when in
    fact the cells are not fully charged yet.

    However, that would be unusual.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, May 24, 2004