    what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    , Dec 28, 2006

  2. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
    > first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
    > from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
    > batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
    > charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
    > such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
    > $44 on the web.
    >
    > Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
    > batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
    > as well with my camera?
    >
    > I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
    > what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.
    >
    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    Yes, you can use any old NiMH batteries in your Canon or any other make of
    Camera.

    Having said that, there are different qualities of NiMH around, and some of
    the cheaper ones will not have a capacity as large as stated on the pack, so
    don't just buy the cheapest. None of them will damage your camera.

    Again there are chargers and good chargers, go for one which has individual
    charging circuits for each battery, and perhaps a discharge function as
    well.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 28, 2006

  3. ray Guest

    On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:28:24 -0800, tba724 wrote:

    > I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
    > first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
    > from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
    > batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
    > charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
    > such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
    > $44 on the web.
    >
    > Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
    > batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
    > as well with my camera?

    Any ol' will work fine. A nimh is a nimh. The one thing I'd look for are
    the batteries with the highest mah rating (2500 or so, at least). You
    should also be aware that the one hour chargers will probably kill the
    batteries sooner than a twelve hour charger.

    > I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
    > what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

    I would assume so, though my source is generally Fred Meyer rather than WM.

    > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    There is also supposed to be a wave of newly designed nimh's coming on the
    market. I believe one is called 'enerloop' - as I recall the main
    improvement is supposed to be shelf life. I believe these are fairly
    expensive now.

    ray, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Cgiorgio Guest

    I would look for the new Sanyo Eneloop batteries - they have a significantly
    lower self discharge than standard NiMH's and a good fast charger (1 hour or
    30 minutes). The charger should have an individual control circuit for each
    cell.

    Cgiorgio, Dec 28, 2006
  5. Guest Guest

    At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
    with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
    Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
    While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
    better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
    are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
    why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated at
    that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more times?
    As for the brand name, I was unable to obtain some firm information. It
    appears that most are made in China, Vietnam and other countries were the
    cost of labour is low. I am not sure that the brand name matter all that
    much. I would reply more on the battery specifications and the availability
    of the 1-800- service.

    Guest, Dec 28, 2006
  6. Guest Guest

    BTW I have a Canon A710is and I am using, without problem so far, batteries
    from Duracell, Energizer and I just bough 4 batteries marketed by Optex.
    The original (unpacked yet) batteries are non rechargeable alkaline with the
    name of Panasonic.

    Guest, Dec 28, 2006
  7. Dave Cohen Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:28:24 -0800, tba724 wrote:
    >
    >> I am a newcomer to the digital camera world, having recently bought my
    >> first digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530. I would like to switch
    >> from using disposable AA batteries to using rechargeable NiMH
    >> batteries, which are allowable with my camera. I can buy the Canon
    >> charger and set of four NiMH batteries that are made for Canon cameras
    >> such as mine. However, the product, including shipping, costs at least
    >> $44 on the web.
    >>
    >> Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
    >> batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
    >> as well with my camera?

    > Any ol' will work fine. A nimh is a nimh. The one thing I'd look for are
    > the batteries with the highest mah rating (2500 or so, at least). You
    > should also be aware that the one hour chargers will probably kill the
    > batteries sooner than a twelve hour charger.
    >
    >> I assume that I can get such products at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than
    >> what I'd have to pay for the Canon set.

    > I would assume so, though my source is generally Fred Meyer rather than WM.
    >
    >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    > There is also supposed to be a wave of newly designed nimh's coming on the
    > market. I believe one is called 'enerloop' - as I recall the main
    > improvement is supposed to be shelf life. I believe these are fairly
    > expensive now.

    The eneloop is normal price, $12 for a set of 4 at Ritz. I've seen
    ridiculous prices for them on-line particularly when you add postage.
    You can get those and a smart charger that monitors individual cells.

    If self discharge isn't going to be a problem (you take a couple of
    hundred pics in less than a month), then you can't beat the Walmart
    package - 4 cells and a smart charger for around $17. The charger holds
    4 cells and will charge 2 at a time, but does not monitor each cell. I
    used one for many months until I upgraded to eneloop and a smart 4 cell
    charger that monitors each cell - mainly because I wanted to be able to
    charge single AAA for .mp3 player. I got that from
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibachwilcdd.html
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 28, 2006
  8. <> wrote in message
    > At WallMart (Canada) they sell the Energizer Auto Charger (car and house)
    > with 4 AA, 2500 mAh, rechargeable NiMH batteries for $31.97.
    > Also the regular charger with 4 rechargeable batteries for $21.95.
    > While hunting for information I learned that the higher is the mAh the
    > better it is. To my surprise AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
    > are only rated at 1.25 volt. While questioning the Energizer people as to
    > why only 1.25volt they replied that all rechargeable batteries are rated
    > at that voltage. This rating allows the batteries to be recharged more
    > times?

    No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Guest Guest

    "No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."

    Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate on
    this a little.
    Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

    Guest, Dec 28, 2006
  10. <> wrote in message
    > "No, it's just a function of the cell chemistry."
    >
    > Thanks for your clarification. Should have the time, could you elaborate
    > on this a little.
    > Battery chemistry always fascinated me.

    Google for electrochemistry, reduction potential and try this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_electrode_potential

    Charles Schuler, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Guest Guest

    Google for electrochemistry, reduction potential and try this:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_electrode_potential

    Thanks for the link,

    Guest, Dec 28, 2006
  12. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > Should I purchase the Canon product, or can I purchase any ol' NiMH
    > batteries/charger set? If I purchase a non-Canon product, will it work
    > as well with my camera?

    Get any kind. They will all work. The cheap ones may not work quite
    as well, but they cost less. If you want a specific recommendation, try
    Sanyo Eneloop (not yet that easy to find, but Ritz Camera has them).

    Paul Rubin, Dec 29, 2006