    mastered", but that can be a crock.

    Any info appreciated,
    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Aphelion wrote:
    > Are any of the "Charade" (1963) non-Criterion DVDs worth buying? I picked
    > up the Madacy Entertainment version at Best Buy for $6.99 before discovering
    > this film is public domain and victim of several horrible DVD
    > representations. This is the one I have:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-6133207-2282268?v=glance&s=dvd
    >
    > I don't want to open it until I'm convinced the transfer is decent and the
    > movie is uncut. The case claims it is "fully restored and digitally
    > mastered", but that can be a crock.

    The Criterion also (still?) has the commentary with Peter Stone and
    Stanley Donen--
    Which do YOU think is the "real" version?

    Derek Janssen (here endeth lesson one: Never question Criterion.)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Aphelion

    harrison Guest

    "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    > Are any of the "Charade" (1963) non-Criterion DVDs worth buying? I picked
    > up the Madacy Entertainment version at Best Buy for $6.99 before
    > discovering this film is public domain and victim of several horrible DVD
    > representations. This is the one I have:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-6133207-2282268?v=glance&s=dvd

    Another version with "The Truth About Charlie" has a good transfer of
    "Charade" , well above the usual public domain versions in quality. It
    might actually be a litle bit better than the Criterion transfer. You do
    not have to watch "The Truth About Charlie"; it is not a bad remake as it
    sounds, but is no where near as good as Charade.

    I have both versions and cannot decide which is better. I threw away my
    other public domain version, nearly unwatchable.

    Dave

    harrison, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Aphelion

    Jim Hollis Guest

    Madacy is about one step below Artisan. I won't buy their stuff anymore.

    Jim Hollis, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Aphelion

    Aphelion Guest

    > Madacy is about one step below Artisan. I won't buy their stuff anymore.

    Wow, somebody is *below* Artisan? Thanks for the tip, I'll return the DVD.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Aphelion

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > And, um, the Criterion came back into print, didn't it?...

    Yes, with a remastered anamorphic transfer. The original Criterion DVD
    was non-anamorphic. All of the bonus features are identical.

    Joshua Zyber, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Aphelion

    Mark Spatny Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:23:17 -0400, "harrison"
    <> wrote:>
    >Another version with "The Truth About Charlie" has a good transfer of
    >"Charade" , well above the usual public domain versions in quality. It
    >might actually be a litle bit better than the Criterion transfer. You do
    >not have to watch "The Truth About Charlie"; it is not a bad remake as it
    >sounds, but is no where near as good as Charade.

    I would also reccomend this disc. It has a good version of 'Charade",
    plus, I kinda liked "The Truth About Charlie."

    Regarding "The Truth About Charlie"...maybe I liked it because I like
    anything with Thandie Newton, but I'd rather watch that than any
    recent movie that has come out in the past couple of months. So the
    disc is a good value.

    Mark Spatny, Jul 3, 2005
  8. harrison wrote:

    > "Aphelion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Are any of the "Charade" (1963) non-Criterion DVDs worth buying? I picked
    >>up the Madacy Entertainment version at Best Buy for $6.99 before
    >>discovering this film is public domain and victim of several horrible DVD
    >>representations. This is the one I have:
    >>
    >>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-6133207-2282268?v=glance&s=dvd
    >>

    > Another version with "The Truth About Charlie" has a good transfer of
    > "Charade" , well above the usual public domain versions in quality. It
    > might actually be a litle bit better than the Criterion transfer. You do
    > not have to watch "The Truth About Charlie"; it is not a bad remake as it
    > sounds, but is no where near as good as Charade.
    >
    > I have both versions and cannot decide which is better. I threw away my
    > other public domain version, nearly unwatchable.

    And, um, the Criterion came back into print, didn't it?...

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 3, 2005
  9. Aphelion

    Goro Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > > And, um, the Criterion came back into print, didn't it?...

    > Yes, with a remastered anamorphic transfer. The original Criterion DVD
    > was non-anamorphic. All of the bonus features are identical.

    oh great, i have the original non-anamorphic version. :p of course,
    it's great to have an anamorphic version from criterion. is there a
    comparison b/w the vidoe quality of the Criteiron v. the Truth about
    Charlie version?

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 3, 2005
  10. Douglas Bailey, Jul 4, 2005
  11. Aphelion

    Goro Guest

    Douglas Bailey wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >
    > > is there a comparison b/w the vidoe quality of the Criteiron v. the Truth
    > > about Charlie version?

    > See http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/charade.htm for the old
    > Criterion transfer vs. the Universal transfer, and
    > http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/charade.htm for the old Criterion
    > transfer vs. the new Criterion transfer (almost no difference other than
    > 16:9 enhancement).
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > doug

    duh, i should've checked dvdbeaver to start with! Thanks for the link.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jul 4, 2005
  12. Aphelion

    Biz Guest

    http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=898

    Biz, Jul 4, 2005
  13. Aphelion

    Marty Guest

    Douglas Bailey wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >
    > > is there a comparison b/w the vidoe quality of the Criteiron v. the Truth
    > > about Charlie version?

    > See http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/charade.htm for the old
    > Criterion transfer vs. the Universal transfer, and
    > http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/charade.htm for the old Criterion
    > transfer vs. the new Criterion transfer (almost no difference other than
    > 16:9 enhancement).
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > doug

    This was later added to the comments for the old OOP Criterion vs. the
    new Criterion:

    NOTE: (from James Luckard) The color in the new disc is vastly superior
    and much closer to what was originally intended.

    Perhaps the best example is the outfit Audrey Hepburn wears throughout
    the finale of the film. The old Criterion disc had such severe red
    tinting that it appeared orange.

    However, the new disc has it the way it should be, bumblebee yellow
    with black buttons and gloves. I've seen stills from the film and know
    this is the correct color. (Thanks James!)

    Marty

    ....I find it odd to be experiencing such feelings of joy in association
    with a book that is principally a devastating account of spiritual
    asphyxiation...

    Marty, Jul 5, 2005
  14. Aphelion

    anthony Guest

    I did read -=- might have been at DVDBeaver -- that the anamorphic
    transfer used for the bonus feature with 'Truth about Charlie' was the
    same as used by Criterion for its second issue. I have the 'Truth About
    Charlie' version and it's fantastic.
    Mind you, I also have the first Criterion issue. And the Donen/Stone
    commentary track is probably the best audio commentary I've ever heard.
    It's amazing what a few drinks does to relax those two. Great comic
    stuff. The only commentary which compares with that one is the George
    Sidney one for 'The Harvey Girls'.
    The first Criterion issue, the non-anamorphic one, is still reckoned as
    being a better transfer than the anamorphic one, because of its better
    colour values. I do however like the extra clarity of the anamorphic
    version....

    anthony, Jul 6, 2005
  15. Aphelion

    Marty Guest

    anthony wrote:
    > I did read -=- might have been at DVDBeaver -- that the anamorphic
    > transfer used for the bonus feature with 'Truth about Charlie' was the
    > same as used by Criterion for its second issue. I have the 'Truth About
    > Charlie' version and it's fantastic.
    > Mind you, I also have the first Criterion issue. And the Donen/Stone
    > commentary track is probably the best audio commentary I've ever heard.
    > It's amazing what a few drinks does to relax those two. Great comic
    > stuff. The only commentary which compares with that one is the George
    > Sidney one for 'The Harvey Girls'.
    > The first Criterion issue, the non-anamorphic one, is still reckoned as
    > being a better transfer than the anamorphic one, because of its better
    > colour values. I do however like the extra clarity of the anamorphic
    > version....

    It seems that the second Criterion issue, the anamorphic one, has more
    accurate colors than the original non-anamorphic issue. It wouldn't be
    the first time Criterion improved over their earlier release.

    Marty, Jul 6, 2005