Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Chappelle's Show - S1 DVD Passes The Simpsons As #1 All-Time TV-DVD;
    Celebrates by Announcing Season 2!
    Posted by David Lambert
    10/19/2004

    For Immediate Release:

    CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
    BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
    SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD

    Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

    HOLLYWOOD, October 19, 2004 - Paramount Home Entertainment and Comedy
    Central Home Entertainment proudly announce CHAPPELLE'S SHOW SEASON
    ONE: UNCENSORED DVD box set has become the #1 all-time selling TV show
    on DVD ever with over 2 million units sold, according to Videoscan and
    retail sources. It puts the two-disc collection of Dave Chappelle's
    top-rated Comedy Central series ahead of previous record-holder, The
    Simpsons - The Complete First Season, which has sold 1.9 million
    units.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Allan

    Ollie T Guest

    He's a funny guy. Too bad he was a prick to all of the fans at a small show
    I saw him at.

    Ollie T, Oct 21, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:

    > CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
    > BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
    > SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD
    >
    > Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

    And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
    that you could name. And this proves what, again?

    Urra Dipschitt, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Allan

    Pug Fugley Guest

    "Urra Dipschitt" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Allan <> wrote:
    >
    > > CHAPPELLE'S SHOW - SEASON ONE
    > > BECOMES #1 ALL-TIME BEST-SELLING TV
    > > SHOW ON DVD WITH 2 MILLION UNITS SOLD
    > >
    > > Tops Previous #1 Title The Simpsons - The Complete First Season

    > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
    > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

    That McDonalds has a more popular product?

    Pug Fugley, Oct 21, 2004
  5. In article <UbFdd.2737$>,
    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    > > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
    > > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

    > That McDonalds has a more popular product?

    Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

    Urra Dipschitt, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Allan

    lugnut Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:19:41 GMT, Urra Dipschitt
    <> wrote:

    >In article <UbFdd.2737$>,
    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
    >> > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

    >> That McDonalds has a more popular product?

    >Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

    I don't think Chappelle outselling the Simpsons has much to do with
    Chappelle being more popular, or appealing to the lowest common
    denominator, as this McDonalds riffing seems to suggest, but more with
    the fact that these Simpsons sets that are currently available have
    all been (and still are) in syndication for a decade - a lot of
    dedicated fans will buy the DVD sets, sure, but Joe Average has
    already seen these episodes about a million times and can probably see
    them again anytime he wants by just turning on the TV.

    Chappelle, on the other hand, is obviously much newer and the episodes
    haven't been "exposed" nearly as much. A lot of people buying the
    Chappelle set are probably picking it up due to word-of-mouth, as well
    as people who've only seen a couple episodes here and there and wanted
    to check it out (ie., those without cable). I think there's no doubt
    that the Simpsons is a much more popular show overall, but if these
    Chappelle episodes had been in constant reruns for 10 years too, I
    doubt it'd have done the numbers it has.

    -lugnut

    lugnut, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Allan

    Eric R. Guest

    "Ollie T" <> wrote in message news:<%uCdd.34636$>...

    > He's a funny guy. Too bad he was a prick to all of the fans at a small show
    > I saw him at.

    Yeah, and I wish he would at least try to stay straight when they're
    filming the show. There was one monologue this season where he was so
    high he had to sit down through the monologues. He's even worse than
    Collin Quinn for this.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 21, 2004
  8. Allan

    > In article <UbFdd.2737$>,
    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > And McDonald's have sold more burgers than any top-flight burger place
    > > > that you could name. And this proves what, again?

    > > That McDonalds has a more popular product?

    > Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

    Why is my treat barking at me? Is your girlfriend my treat? No thanks, chain
    her back up in the yard. You can keep it.

    Pug Fugley, Oct 21, 2004
  9. Allan

    Smaug69 Guest

    (lugnut) wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 03:19:41 GMT, Urra Dipschitt
    > <> wrote:

    > >> That McDonalds has a more popular product?

    > >Uh huh. You so smart! Good boy! Here's your treat. Woof! Woof!

    > I don't think Chappelle outselling the Simpsons has much to do with
    > Chappelle being more popular, or appealing to the lowest common
    > denominator, as this McDonalds riffing seems to suggest, but more with
    > the fact that these Simpsons sets that are currently available have
    > all been (and still are) in syndication for a decade - a lot of
    > dedicated fans will buy the DVD sets, sure, but Joe Average has
    > already seen these episodes about a million times and can probably see
    > them again anytime he wants by just turning on the TV.
    >
    > Chappelle, on the other hand, is obviously much newer and the episodes
    > haven't been "exposed" nearly as much. A lot of people buying the
    > Chappelle set are probably picking it up due to word-of-mouth, as well
    > as people who've only seen a couple episodes here and there and wanted
    > to check it out (ie., those without cable). I think there's no doubt
    > that the Simpsons is a much more popular show overall, but if these
    > Chappelle episodes had been in constant reruns for 10 years too, I
    > doubt it'd have done the numbers it has.

    Plus, the DVDs are uncensored. That's another big incentive to get them.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Oct 22, 2004