    James Evans Guest

    It has been in Entertainment Weekly's top ten for months now.
    Is it really selling as well as they say it is? Just curious. . .

    James Evans, Jul 29, 2004

  2. James Evans wrote:
    > It has been in Entertainment Weekly's top ten for months now.
    > Is it really selling as well as they say it is? Just curious. . .

    Sadly it is.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Columnist & Message Board Mod

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jul 31, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote:

    > > It has been in Entertainment Weekly's top ten for months now.
    > > Is it really selling as well as they say it is? Just curious. . .

    > Sadly it is.

    Oh, come on! It's not that bad relatively speaking! Compare it to
    SHOWGIRLS for instance! :)

    Reginald Dwight, Jul 31, 2004
  4. James Evans

    Wade365 Guest

    << > Is it really selling as well as they say it is? Just curious. . .

    > Sadly it is.

    Oh, come on! It's not that bad relatively speaking! Compare it to
    SHOWGIRLS for instance! :) >><BR><BR>

    Well Put. At least Chappelle is TRYING for laughs... the show really IS funny
    if you haven't seen it. And if this is about television shows selling on DVD, I
    applaud the idea - Then you don't have to sit through commercials and/or
    content editting (the Chappelle Show is uncencored on the DVDs).

    Wade365, Jul 31, 2004
  5. James Evans

    Wade365 Guest

    << Although Chappelle seems so obsessed with the self-image of "Street-thug
    cooler than goofy white pop culture" gag, he doesn't seem to be very
    researched about it in the first place >><BR><BR>

    But all of those movies where the Black guy's eyes bug out and he screeches
    "LAWKS-A-MU'CY BUT I IZ SCAH'D!" from the 30s, 40s, and even 50s & 60s (what's
    fourty years of defamation in one artform alone, right?) were spot-on and we
    made our point and let it go... I'd say if Dave wants to keep making Whitey
    jokes he's welcome to do so.

    Oh, and if you watch his show you'll see that he jabs at just about every other
    race and creed under the sun.

    << Like the time he'd obviously never heard of Chuck Jones cartoons, and
    got booed by the audience for thinking Michigan J. Frog on the WB was
    some kind of "racist Al Jolson" symbol invented by the network. >><BR><BR>

    The crowd's booing had nothing to do with their aproval or disaproval of
    Chappelle's cartoon saavy. It's about race and advertisement (racial profiling
    for lack of a better term) and most historians will probably confirm that Al
    Jolson's characture of the Black race is no more flattering or quaint today
    than it was way-back-when, at least when you talk to the people he (and so now
    also by association, the Frog) so mawkishly tried to emulate with said
    performances.

    I'm sure the assembled audience at the Chappelle Show could care less who Chuck
    Jones is.

    Wade365, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Wade365 wrote:

    > << > Is it really selling as well as they say it is? Just curious. . .
    >
    >>Sadly it is.

    > Oh, come on! It's not that bad relatively speaking! Compare it to
    > SHOWGIRLS for instance! :) >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Well Put. At least Chappelle is TRYING for laughs... the show really IS funny
    > if you haven't seen it.

    Although Chappelle seems so obsessed with the self-image of "Street-thug
    cooler than goofy white pop culture" gag, he doesn't seem to be very
    researched about it in the first place:
    Like the time he'd obviously never heard of Chuck Jones cartoons, and
    got booed by the audience for thinking Michigan J. Frog on the WB was
    some kind of "racist Al Jolson" symbol invented by the network...

    Derek Janssen (Dave, we don't care if you *are* "from the street"...A
    standup who DOESN'T KNOW his Jones classics??)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 31, 2004
  7. James Evans

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <410c215b$0$2833$>, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    > Find me ONE white person in North America who's never seen "One Froggy
    > Evening" in their lives (and WB knew it when they picked their
    > self-referential corporate sponsor), let alone an entire audience of them.

    Gotta be honest, I have no idea if my parents (born in the 1940's) ever
    saw it. Or, to be more exact, if they'd know they had seen it if you
    asked without showing them said cartoon.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Aug 1, 2004
  8. Wade365 wrote:

    > << Like the time he'd obviously never heard of Chuck Jones cartoons, and
    > got booed by the audience for thinking Michigan J. Frog on the WB was
    > some kind of "racist Al Jolson" symbol invented by the network. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The crowd's booing had nothing to do with their aproval or disaproval of
    > Chappelle's cartoon saavy. It's about race and advertisement (racial profiling
    > for lack of a better term) and most historians will probably confirm that Al
    > Jolson's characture of the Black race is no more flattering or quaint today
    > than it was way-back-when, at least when you talk to the people he (and so now
    > also by association, the Frog) so mawkishly tried to emulate with said
    > performances.

    > I'm sure the assembled audience at the Chappelle Show could care less who Chuck
    > Jones is.

    Watch his onstage reaction to the boos again--Dave was clearly caught
    with his black-paranoid cultural pants down, and suprised that "our" gag
    wasn't going over:
    Find me ONE white person in North America who's never seen "One Froggy
    Evening" in their lives (and WB knew it when they picked their
    self-referential corporate sponsor), let alone an entire audience of them.

    It's an old troupers' rule of comedy:
    An audience who starts to suspect a comic didn't do his homework, and is
    just venting overpersonal spleen by shock-bluffing, can be an ugly, ugly
    thing that's just smelled blood. :)

    Derek Janssen (there's a long and entertainment-psychological
    explanation of why, but for now, just accept it as tradition)

    Derek Janssen, Aug 1, 2004
  9. Reginald Dwight wrote:
    > Oh, come on! It's not that bad relatively speaking! Compare it to
    > SHOWGIRLS for instance! :)

    True. But I've seen a few bits of the show and didn't care for it.
    I don't see what the fuss is about I guess.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 1, 2004
  10. Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > Reginald Dwight wrote:
    >
    >>Oh, come on! It's not that bad relatively speaking! Compare it to
    >>SHOWGIRLS for instance! :)

    > True. But I've seen a few bits of the show and didn't care for it.
    > I don't see what the fuss is about I guess.

    Chappelle certainly seems to be bending backwards to be the
    reincarnation of the 70's-standup Richard Pryor--
    No, strike that: He thinks he already IS the reincarnation of the 70's
    Richard Pryor...

    But rent the real Pryor's "Live on the Sunset Strip" and you can see the
    difference right away:
    Yes, Pryor poked race-edgy fun at both sides, but he used his own
    experiences, and often with hilarious and harrowingly self-deprecating
    storytelling...
    Which, of course, is immediately different from Chappelle, who
    (Wayan-esque "dressup" comedy aside) was born without a self-deprecating
    bone in his body.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Aug 1, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    (Wade365) wrote:

    > I'm sure the assembled audience at the Chappelle Show could care less who
    > Chuck Jones is.

    *Couldn't* care less. I agree.

    Reginald Dwight, Aug 1, 2004
  12. James Evans

    Wade365 Guest

    << Find me ONE white person in North America who's never seen "One Froggy
    Evening" in their lives (and WB knew it when they picked their
    self-referential corporate sponsor), >><BR><BR>

    One's posting right here. I've never seen that cartoon... I'm familiar with it
    because I really am a fan of WB cartoons but I guess I'm not a "fanboy" of WB
    cartoons (so now I'm sure you'll read me the Riot Act for having not seen it
    and attempt to discredit my position in that manner). You don't have to see a
    cartoon from the past to understand the effect of a "Mammy"-sounding rendition
    of "Hello My Baby"... it's not a positive image for some people, and I can see
    Chappelle's point.

    Chappelle's humor doesn't come from paranoia... infact your post is so racially
    and historically ignorant, one might suggest you have spent a bit TOO MUCH time
    watching cartoons.

    Quit while you are ahead, sorta... PLEASE. You are incorrect on this Derrek,
    and your position isn't going to hold this time.

    Wade365, Aug 1, 2004