Changing Xtra broadband plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Jul 7, 2006.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
    broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra
    improve their performance in future I have a few suggestions.
    Sadly, I don't suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any
    more. And do note that I have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.

    To spell it out:

    1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take
    advantage of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by
    going to a website and filling out a form.

    2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in
    order to change plan.

    3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the
    old one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out",
    and yet "If you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband
    plan, do nothing". So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely
    can I? Yeah right.

    4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum
    upload speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan?
    How is that an improvement?

    5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get
    the message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]"
    with both IE and Mozilla?

    6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may
    have to wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software
    that sucks?

    Here are the communications from Xtra:

    "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either
    way it’s good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you
    don’t have to do anything to take advantage of the changes."

    "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
    xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a
    new plan you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's
    because the old plans are gradually being phased out in favour of
    the new and improved ones. If you'd rather stay with your
    existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing. It's as easy as that."

    Matty F, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Matty F

    MotoGP Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
    > broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve
    > their performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't
    > suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I
    > have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.
    >
    > To spell it out:
    >
    > 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take advantage
    > of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
    > and filling out a form.
    >
    > 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
    > change plan.
    >
    > 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
    > one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
    > you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing".
    > So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
    >
    > 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
    > speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
    > improvement?
    >
    > 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
    > message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
    > IE and Mozilla?
    >
    > 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
    > wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
    >
    > Here are the communications from Xtra:

    > "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
    > it’s good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have to
    > do anything to take advantage of the changes."

    > "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
    > xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
    > you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old
    > plans are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved
    > ones. If you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do
    > nothing. It's as easy as that."

    I noted the idiots did the same here. Tell me I don't have to do
    anything to switch... then the date comes and goes and I figure I'm on
    the news speeds. Then I get a letter two weeks after I ditch them,
    saying my current plan was still the old plan and I need to do something
    to move to their new plan. FFS! They should have paid me for having to
    put up with such incompetence!

    MotoGP, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:55:15 +1200, MotoGP wrote:

    > Then I get a letter two weeks after I ditch them,
    > saying my current plan was still the old plan and I need to do something
    > to move to their new plan. FFS! They should have paid me for having to
    > put up with such incompetence!

    Ah, this does ring true.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Matty F

    Crash Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing
    > broadband plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve
    > their performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't
    > suppose anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I
    > have been a loyal Xtra customer so far.
    >
    > To spell it out:
    >
    > 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take advantage
    > of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
    > and filling out a form.
    >
    > 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
    > change plan.

    Perhaps - but 1. is still a lie...

    > 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
    > one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
    > you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing".
    > So I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.

    You can stay on the old plan until they decide to migrate you off it.

    > 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
    > speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
    > improvement?

    Thats a good question that has never been satisfactorily answered.

    > 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
    > message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
    > IE and Mozilla?

    Your IE/Mozilla/router/modem/windows settings are clearly wrong.....;-)

    > 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
    > wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?

    You are not the only victim of 5....

    <snip>

    Now consider which other ISP generates this level of heat in this ng? There's a
    message here and is is to change ISPs.

    Crash

    Crash, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Matty F

    Seagull Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    >I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing broadband
    >plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve their
    >performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't suppose
    >anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I have been a
    >loyal Xtra customer so far.
    >
    > To spell it out:
    >
    > 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take advantage of
    > the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website and
    > filling out a form.
    >
    > 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
    > change plan.
    >
    > 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old one"
    > because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If you'd
    > rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing". So I can
    > stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
    >
    > 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload speed
    > reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
    > improvement?
    >
    > 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
    > message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both IE
    > and Mozilla?
    >
    > 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
    > wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
    >
    > Here are the communications from Xtra:

    > "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way it’s
    > good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have to do
    > anything to take advantage of the changes."

    > "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
    > xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
    > you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old plans
    > are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved ones. If
    > you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing. It's
    > as easy as that."

    I was in exactly the same situation as you.
    Around May I talked to a Telecom CSR and asked why my speed had certainly
    not got faster and I had seen no reduction in price. Telecom do not know
    what to do about people in your circumstances was the reply.

    I thought about going to the commerce commision re false advertising but did
    not get round to it.

    The other day I reached my cap and finally asked to go to a new plan but
    made a fuss about the reduction in upload speed and asked to retain the 192
    Kbps. Telecom allow no longer cater for this upload speed was the blanket
    reply.
    I will shortly look to change ISP I think.
    --
    Seagull

    Seagull, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Matty F

    Allistar Guest

    Seagull wrote:

    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    >>I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing broadband
    >>plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve their
    >>performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't suppose
    >>anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I have been a
    >>loyal Xtra customer so far.
    >>
    >> To spell it out:
    >>
    >> 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take advantage
    >> of the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website
    >> and filling out a form.
    >>
    >> 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
    >> change plan.
    >>
    >> 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old
    >> one" because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If
    >> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing". So
    >> I can stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
    >>
    >> 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload
    >> speed reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
    >> improvement?
    >>
    >> 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
    >> message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both
    >> IE and Mozilla?
    >>
    >> 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
    >> wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
    >>
    >> Here are the communications from Xtra:

    >> "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
    >> it’s good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have to
    >> do anything to take advantage of the changes."

    >> "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
    >> xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
    >> you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old plans
    >> are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved ones. If
    >> you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing.
    >> It's as easy as that."
    >>

    > I was in exactly the same situation as you.
    > Around May I talked to a Telecom CSR and asked why my speed had certainly
    > not got faster and I had seen no reduction in price. Telecom do not know
    > what to do about people in your circumstances was the reply.
    >

    > I thought about going to the commerce commision re false advertising but
    > did not get round to it.
    >
    > The other day I reached my cap and finally asked to go to a new plan but
    > made a fuss about the reduction in upload speed and asked to retain the
    > 192
    > Kbps. Telecom allow no longer cater for this upload speed was the blanket
    > reply.
    > I will shortly look to change ISP I think.

    What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I nkow
    ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I nkow
    > ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

    To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

    Richard, Jul 8, 2006
  8. Matty F

    MotoGP Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I
    >> nkow
    >> ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

    > To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

    Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

    MotoGP, Jul 8, 2006
  9. "MotoGP" <> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Allistar wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the reason Telecom impose such a low limit on upload speeds? I
    >>> nkow
    >>> ADSL has inherent limitations, but it's nothing like 128kb/s.

    >> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

    > Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

    Max 128K upwards? then what are the 51K plans? To make VOIP Crap because its
    128K? Quite wrong.. VOIP works fine.. normal VOIP bandwith for a connection
    is ALOT less than 128K.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 8, 2006
  10. Matty F

    MotoGP Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "MotoGP" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

    >> Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

    > Max 128K upwards? then what are the 51K plans? To make VOIP Crap because its
    > 128K? Quite wrong.. VOIP works fine.. normal VOIP bandwith for a connection
    > is ALOT less than 128K.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Wasn't me that said it was to make VOIP crap. My reply was based on that
    statement. I think you may have replied to the wrong person.

    MotoGP, Jul 8, 2006
  11. Matty F

    Allistar Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > "MotoGP" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> To make voip crap to protect there calling revenue

    >> Sounds like anti-competitiveness to me.

    > Max 128K upwards? then what are the 51K plans? To make VOIP Crap because
    > its 128K? Quite wrong.. VOIP works fine.. normal VOIP bandwith for a
    > connection is ALOT less than 128K.

    It prevents you having multiple voip sessions from the same connection,
    which would prevent setting up a little "voip shop" from home.

    What is your explanation of the low upload cap?

    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 8, 2006
  12. >
    > It prevents you having multiple voip sessions from the same connection,
    > which would prevent setting up a little "voip shop" from home.

    Your would most likely choose a service which has guarentees in its
    working. Its quite possible on even 256/128 connections to run a number
    of VOIP connections over it. Jetsteam has no guaretees ,

    > What is your explanation of the low upload cap?

    Low Upload Cap? Or do you mean Speed? 512Kbps? thats about the fastest ADSL
    (The type of service that Telecom is using) will go.

    If you compare a 3.5M/512K UBS and a Full Speed jetstream connection a very
    very high percentage of people won't notice any difference in the service at
    all.

    If you want a faster Upload speed, then there are many different other types
    of high speed connections that are available.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 8, 2006
  13. Matty F

    Allistar Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    >> It prevents you having multiple voip sessions from the same connection,
    >> which would prevent setting up a little "voip shop" from home.

    > Your would most likely choose a service which has guarentees in its
    > working. Its quite possible on even 256/128 connections to run a number
    > of VOIP connections over it. Jetsteam has no guaretees ,
    >>
    >> What is your explanation of the low upload cap?

    > Low Upload Cap? Or do you mean Speed? 512Kbps? thats about the fastest
    > ADSL (The type of service that Telecom is using) will go.

    512kbps? What provider and plan is that with? I though all residential plans
    were 128kb/s, with a few historical plans still at 256kb/s.

    > If you compare a 3.5M/512K UBS and a Full Speed jetstream connection a
    > very very high percentage of people won't notice any difference in the
    > service at all.
    >
    > If you want a faster Upload speed, then there are many different other
    > types of high speed connections that are available.

    Within a reasonable price?

    > Thanks

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 8, 2006
  14. Matty F

    PeeCee Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    >I have received a couple of communications from Xtra re changing broadband
    >plans that seem to contradict themselves. To help Xtra improve their
    >performance in future I have a few suggestions. Sadly, I don't suppose
    >anyone from Xtra reads newsgroups any more. And do note that I have been a
    >loyal Xtra customer so far.
    >
    > To spell it out:
    >
    > 1. Firstly Xtra say that I "don’t have to do anything to take advantage of
    > the changes" but then invite me to change plans by going to a website and
    > filling out a form.
    >
    > 2. Perhaps this is so that I have to accept new conditions in order to
    > change plan.
    >
    > 3. Once I switch to a new plan I "won't be able to go back to the old one"
    > because "the old plans are gradually being phased out", and yet "If you'd
    > rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing". So I can
    > stay with the old plan indefinitely can I? Yeah right.
    >
    > 4. The new plans are "improved ones". So why does the maximum upload speed
    > reduce from 192 Kbps to 128 Kbps in the new plan? How is that an
    > improvement?
    >
    > 5. When I try to change plans and fill out the form why do I get the
    > message "[an error occurred while processing this directive]" with both IE
    > and Mozilla?
    >
    > 6. When I call the helpline, why do I get a message that I may have to
    > wait for half an hour, when it's clearly their software that sucks?
    >
    > Here are the communications from Xtra:

    > "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way it’s
    > good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have to do
    > anything to take advantage of the changes."

    > "If you'd like to change plan, you can do this online by visiting
    > xtra.co.nz/changeplan. Just remember that once you switch to a new plan
    > you won't be able to go back to the old one. That's because the old plans
    > are gradually being phased out in favour of the new and improved ones. If
    > you'd rather stay with your existing Xtra Broadband plan, do nothing. It's
    > as easy as that."

    Matty

    Got the same letter and email's here.

    I don't see any pressing need to go to 3.5Mbit as the real life improvement
    is unlikely to be noticeable.
    Downloads are frequently restricted by external influences not by the size
    of Xtra's local pipe.

    I'm afraid my reaction is 'stuff them' I'll stay on 2Mbit/192Kbit simply to
    make a point.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 9, 2006
  15. Matty F wrote:
    > "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
    > it’s good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have to
    > do anything to take advantage of the changes."

    Hang on. The utterly noxious ad campaign they have running at the moment does
    not have these qualifications. It says "Faster Cheaper Broadband". That means
    faster and cheaper, yet the email you quote contains the (e)xtra qualifications.

    Sounds like a case for the Advertising Standards Complaints Board, especially
    in light of Frau Gattung's famous comments about misleading customers through
    advertising.

    Mark Robinson, Jul 9, 2006
  16. Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >> "You’re about to get faster or cheaper broadband or both - either way
    >> it’s good news. The best bit is, as an Xtra customer, you don’t have
    >> to do anything to take advantage of the changes."

    > Hang on. The utterly noxious ad campaign they have running at the moment
    > does not have these qualifications. It says "Faster Cheaper Broadband".
    > That means faster and cheaper, yet the email you quote contains the
    > (e)xtra qualifications.
    >
    > Sounds like a case for the Advertising Standards Complaints Board,
    > especially in light of Frau Gattung's famous comments about misleading
    > customers through advertising.

    I'll sign a petition in support.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 9, 2006
  17. > 512kbps? What provider and plan is that with? I though all residential
    plans
    > were 128kb/s, with a few historical plans still at 256kb/s.

    Any provider.. you can order a 512K upload service on Xtra, IHUG,Orcon +
    all others. They are marketted towards businesses, but anyone can get them.

    Check: http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/ISPPlans.phtml

    >> If you want a faster Upload speed, then there are many different other
    >> types of high speed connections that are available.

    > Within a reasonable price?

    Reasonable Price? If you have a reason for wanting a fast service all ISP's
    will
    be willing to sell you any speed you want.. Frame/Fibre/Wireless/Woosh/...
    Just ask.. The higher price services usually have guarentees of service
    availability also.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 9, 2006
  18. Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > > 512kbps? What provider and plan is that with? I though all residential

    > plans
    >> were 128kb/s, with a few historical plans still at 256kb/s.

    > Any provider.. you can order a 512K upload service on Xtra, IHUG,Orcon +
    > all others. They are marketted towards businesses, but anyone can get them.
    >
    > Check: http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/ISPPlans.phtml
    >

    >>> If you want a faster Upload speed, then there are many different other
    >>> types of high speed connections that are available.

    >> Within a reasonable price?

    > Reasonable Price? If you have a reason for wanting a fast service all ISP's
    > will
    > be willing to sell you any speed you want.. Frame/Fibre/Wireless/Woosh/...
    > Just ask.. The higher price services usually have guarentees of service
    > availability also.

    That's not to say the prices are reasonable. I think that statement
    comes from the commonly accepted (and well publicised in the media
    statements), that we pay far too much here in NZ for broadband.

    Komrade Klark, Jul 9, 2006

  19. >
    > That's not to say the prices are reasonable. I think that statement comes
    > from the commonly accepted (and well publicised in the media statements),
    > that we pay far too much here in NZ for broadband.

    For ADSL maybe.. Have you compared other services such as fibre based
    circuits,Frame and Wireless. A lot of these other services are flat rate and
    are alot cheaper and reliable than ADSL.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 9, 2006
  20. Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >> That's not to say the prices are reasonable. I think that statement comes
    >> from the commonly accepted (and well publicised in the media statements),
    >> that we pay far too much here in NZ for broadband.

    > For ADSL maybe.. Have you compared other services such as fibre based
    > circuits,Frame and Wireless. A lot of these other services are flat rate and
    > are alot cheaper and reliable than ADSL.

    No, I haven't actually, but probably won't adopt unless they're as fast
    or faster, and relatively cheap to set up and for the hardware (and
    match the other items you've mentioned). For the benefit of others, are
    they as cheap as ADSL to get set up? You say they're cheaper, flat rate,
    and more reliable, but you don't compare speeds. They're slower in
    comparison yes?

    Komrade Klark, Jul 9, 2006