    cd and accompanied coa number (I assumed my existing one on the case wouldn't
    be accepted). I would like to change the borrowed number in my machine's
    windows registry to the 'proper' one. Can I do that? TIA

    Paul, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Paul

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:45:03 -0600 If you fall from a tree,leave your
    anger on the branch and then (Paul) sent this :

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=change winxp product key&spell=1

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Paul

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:45:03 -0600, (Paul) wrote:

    >I recently bought a s/h computer with a legitimate XP pro COA stuck on the
    >side of the case. The HDD had been wiped. I installed XP pro using a borrowed
    >cd and accompanied coa number (I assumed my existing one on the case wouldn't
    >be accepted). I would like to change the borrowed number in my machine's
    >windows registry to the 'proper' one. Can I do that? TIA

    Windows XP Product Key Viewer (and changer) for all OS:
    Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41

    Unk, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Paul

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >I recently bought a s/h computer with a legitimate XP pro COA stuck on the
    > side of the case. The HDD had been wiped. I installed XP pro using a
    > borrowed
    > cd and accompanied coa number (I assumed my existing one on the case
    > wouldn't
    > be accepted).

    Why would you assume that? It's a valid licence key isn't it?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <43752894$0$8666$>,
    says...

    >"Paul" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently bought a s/h computer with a legitimate XP pro COA stuck on the
    >> side of the case. The HDD had been wiped. I installed XP pro using a
    >> borrowed
    >> cd and accompanied coa number (I assumed my existing one on the case
    >> wouldn't
    >> be accepted).

    >Why would you assume that? It's a valid licence key isn't it?
    >
    >Dan

    So all valid xp licence keys are on each and every xp cd for validation?

    Paul, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >Windows XP Product Key Viewer (and changer) for all OS:
    >Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41
    >http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

    Ta for that -- I actually have jellybean but didn't realise it had the option
    to change the key.

    Paul, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Howdy!

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <43752894$0$8666$>,
    > says...
    > >

    > >"Paul" <> wrote in message
    > >>I recently bought a s/h computer with a legitimate XP pro COA stuck on

    the
    > >> side of the case. The HDD had been wiped. I installed XP pro using a
    > >> borrowed
    > >> cd and accompanied coa number (I assumed my existing one on the case
    > >> wouldn't
    > >> be accepted).

    > >Why would you assume that? It's a valid licence key isn't it?
    > >
    > >Dan
    > >

    > So all valid xp licence keys are on each and every xp cd for validation?

    No, there aren't ANY license keys on the "CD" in the digital data
    stream.

    What there is, is a check to see if the key is a matching one - OEM,
    Open License, Retail, and New Computer, Upgrade, or what not.

    So if they match, then good! And if not, you can find the
    appropriate CD and use that to install from.

    But it's not matched one-CD-per-key. That'd be awfully expensive,
    negating the price advantages of pressing the CDs.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Paul

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <43752894$0$8666$>,
    > says...
    >>"Paul" <> wrote in message

    >>> (I assumed my existing one on the case
    >>> wouldn't
    >>> be accepted).

    >>Why would you assume that? It's a valid licence key isn't it?

    > So all valid xp licence keys are on each and every xp cd for validation?

    No, there is a validation algorithm that looks at the key you enter and
    decides if it is a real one or not.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Paul

    Paul Guest

    In article <4375a5ae$0$1905$>,
    says...

    > .

    >>>Why would you assume that? It's a valid licence key isn't it?

    >> So all valid xp licence keys are on each and every xp cd for validation?

    >No, there is a validation algorithm that looks at the key you enter and
    >decides if it is a real one or not.
    >
    >Dan

    Which conflicts with what Ralph says:

    >So if they match, then good! And if not, you can find the
    >appropriate CD and use that to install from.

    i.e that there are several different CDs each containing a series of keys but
    not all.

    Paul, Nov 12, 2005
  10. Paul

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4375a5ae$0$1905$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> .

    >>> So all valid xp licence keys are on each and every xp cd for validation?

    >>No, there is a validation algorithm that looks at the key you enter and
    >>decides if it is a real one or not.
    >>
    >>Dan

    > Which conflicts with what Ralph says:
    >

    >>So if they match, then good! And if not, you can find the
    >>appropriate CD and use that to install from.

    > i.e that there are several different CDs each containing a series of keys
    > but
    > not all.

    Nope, XP Pro uses a different algorithm to XP Home, which use a different
    algorithm to XP $version SP1, which uses a different algorithm to XP
    $version SP2, and the English version algorithms are different to Spanish,
    to French etc. If you have a XP Pro SP2 EN key, it will work with any XP Pro
    SP2 EN CD.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Howdy!

    <mode=pedant>

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <4375a5ae$0$1905$>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> .

    validation?

    > >>No, there is a validation algorithm that looks at the key you enter and
    > >>decides if it is a real one or not.

    Actually, it decides if it's a VALID key or not. There are real
    keys that aren't valid for various types.

    Which is being pedantic, I know B)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 15, 2005
  12. Paul

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    > Howdy!
    >
    > <mode=pedant>
    >
    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <4375a5ae$0$1905$>,
    >> > says...

    > validation?

    > Actually, it decides if it's a VALID key or not. There are real
    > keys that aren't valid for various types.
    >
    > Which is being pedantic, I know B)

    And ignoring the content of the actual post you replied to, which you cut,
    but says:

    Dan Evans, Nov 15, 2005
  13. Howdy!

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Howdy!
    > >
    > > <mode=pedant>
    > >
    > > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> "Paul" <> wrote in message

    > > validation?

    and

    > > Actually, it decides if it's a VALID key or not. There are real
    > > keys that aren't valid for various types.
    > >
    > > Which is being pedantic, I know B)

    > And ignoring the content of the actual post you replied to, which you cut,
    > but says:

    Actually, no, it's not.

    A REAL key is one that's on a Certificate of Authenticity, or has
    been generated by Microsoft for whatever usage.

    The algorithm looks for a VALID key - one that meets certain hash
    criteria.

    There's a difference between REAL and VALID.

    For instance, a REAL key for XP home won't pass for XP Pro. Which
    you stated, in ...

    > "Nope, XP Pro uses a different algorithm to XP Home, which use a different
    > algorithm to XP $version SP1, which uses a different algorithm to XP
    > $version SP2, and the English version algorithms are different to Spanish,
    > to French etc. If you have a XP Pro SP2 EN key, it will work with any XP

    Pro
    > SP2 EN CD."

    And - ahem - the last isn't quite true.

    Open License XP Pro SP2 EN won't take a retail XP Pro SP2 EN key -
    which won't take either OL or OEM XP Pro SP2 EN keys.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 19, 2005