    I know how to change the key on the router, but how do I change it on
    the pc and on a laptop that connects to the router?

    Thanks

    species8350, Jan 25, 2010

  2. species8350

    John Guest

    Settings are either in Windows WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) or software
    to manage your wireless connection.

    John, Jan 25, 2010

  3. species8350

    Lem Guest

    species8350 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know how to change the key on the router, but how do I change it on
    > the pc and on a laptop that connects to the router?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have some version of Windows XP *and* are using Windows to
    control the computer's wireless adapter (Windows WZC), then ...

    If you are not given the opportunity to enter a new key when you try to
    connect to the network (and it fails), then in the left pane of the
    "Choose a wireless network" screen (http://tinyurl.com/rlhcx) click
    "Change the order of preferred networks" which should get you to this
    screen: http://tinyurl.com/8lmz4. At this point, the easiest thing to do
    is just select the network name in the list of preferred networks and
    "Remove" it. Then go back to View Wireless Networks, select the network,
    and Connect. You will be asked for the password.

    If you want to enter the password more directly, then from the screen
    with the list of preferred networks, select the desired network and
    click the "Properties" button. That will take you to this screen
    http://tinyurl.com/zde9k where you can enter the new key.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Jan 25, 2010
  4. Hi
    The best way is to log to the Wireless preferred list and clean it up (to
    avoid future conflict).
    Remove the entries for your Wireless connections.
    Win XP, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Vista/Win 7, http://www.ezlan.net/vista/wireless_manager.jpg
    Then when you try to logon again to your Router's SSID, it will prompt you
    for the new pass phrase.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 25, 2010
  5. species8350

    species8350 Guest

    On Jan 25, 7:29 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > The best way is to log to the Wireless preferred list and clean it up (to
    > avoid future conflict).
    > Remove the entries for your Wireless connections.
    > Win XP,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > Vista/Win 7,http://www.ezlan.net/vista/wireless_manager.jpg
    > Then when you try to logon again to your Router's SSID, it will prompt you
    > for the new pass phrase.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "species8350" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I know how to change the key on the router, but how do I change it on
    > > the pc and on a laptop that connects to the router?

    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    I think that I have found the right place to change the key on the pc,
    once the router key has been changed.

    Under Vista:

    Control Panel - Network sharing centre - Manage Wireless networks

    Click on networking properties
    Under Security
    Network Security key - I type in new key here.

    Is this the correct procedure?

    Thanks

    species8350, Jan 26, 2010
  6. species8350

    wrote:
    > Hi
    > The best way is to log to the Wireless preferred list and clean it up (to
    > avoid future conflict).
    > Remove the entries for your Wireless connections.
    > Win XP,http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > Vista/Win 7,http://www.ezlan.net/vista/wireless_manager.jpg
    > Then when you try to logon again to your Router's SSID, it will prompt you
    > for the new pass phrase.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "species8350" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I know how to change the key on the router, but how do I change it on
    > > the pc and on a laptop that connects to the router?

    > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    I have just been looking at the Wireless PCI card adapter properties.

    I see under Driver Key a very different value from the WPA key.

    I understand the need for the WPA key, but why does the driver have a
    key, and how is it used?

    Thanks

    species8350, Jan 26, 2010
  7. Hi
    A key is actually a string of Hex code. The passphrase (password) is just a
    generator to make it easy to generate the code.
    The string can be displayed/in different place but there is only one used.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 26, 2010