    I have tried turning off the wireless zero configuration service but, that
    prevents connecting to my own home network. Any suggestions on how to keep
    users from switching wireless networks if you don't want them to?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF0YXdvcm0=?=, Jan 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGF0YXdvcm0=?=

    Don Grover Guest

    "Dataworm" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a wireless network in my home. I use WEP. I have a firewall. I
    > block inappropriate sites using key word filtering on my wireless router.
    > only allow my router to permit traffic from my kids' computer during
    > certain
    > hours. Problem is Windows XP and the good folks of my neighborhood. My
    > kids
    > have discovered they can simply elect to connect to another (unsecured)
    > wireless network to bypass the content filtering and access restrictions I
    > have placed on their computer. My kids have their own user account on
    > their
    > computer and the account is classified as "limited." However, they still
    > have enough permissions to change wireless networks.
    >
    > I have tried turning off the wireless zero configuration service but, that
    > prevents connecting to my own home network. Any suggestions on how to
    > keep
    > users from switching wireless networks if you don't want them to?

    1) Put a wep or wpa key in your kids wirless config on the neigbours
    connection, This should get the pc trying to connect with security and fail.
    2) Maybe also put router name in hosts file and point ip# to 127.0.0.1, that
    should block it too.
    3) And also manually put your router gateway in network config,.
    Don Grover, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Thanks Don. I'll give it a shot!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF0YXdvcm0=?=, Jan 19, 2006
  4. setting gateway manually didn't work as both netwroks had same IP scheme.
    However, the WEP key worked. I set a WEP key on all the unsecured netwroks I
    could find and now connection fails. thanks for the tip!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF0YXdvcm0=?=, Jan 19, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RGF0YXdvcm0=?=

    Don Grover Guest

    If as you say the neighbours wlan is same ip range as yours,.
    I would as a matter of course change your router default IP and range to a
    different block.
    ie. if router is 192.168.0.1 then change it to 192.168.23.1 , dont forget to
    change dhcp ect. in router if used.
    One quick way I have done this is to export the router config to a text
    file, do a global replace and import again, worked for me.

    Don

    Don Grover, Jan 20, 2006