    Ihug... :-(

    Cheers all
    , Nov 14, 2005

  2. Dogboy Guest

    ?

    > I'm a bit worried because I also need to cancel my Orcon. I want to do
    > this as soon as possible so Orcon cancels it before my next billing
    > cycle next week. However I obviously can't do this yet. I'm a bit
    > concerned too that when I cancel my Orcon they might screw up and
    > cancel my DSL on my line. Once the switchover has happened they should
    > not be able to do this in theory but given this is Telecom, it wouldn't
    > surprise me if Telecom let's Orcon cancel DSL on a line that is with
    > Ihug... :-(

    I dont know if this helps you but I know that changing over is a two
    step process. The first step is your modem gets connected at your new
    fast speed then roughly 24-48 hours after that you can actually use that
    speed on the Ihug network.

    I have upgraded from Ihug 256k to 2mbps and I know that the modem
    connecting at 2mbps is only the first half of the process. A lot of
    people have found their modem connected at 2mbps and instantly gone and
    done a speed test to find their speed is still ~256kbps.

    My advice to you is wait a day or two and see what happens, it could be
    a very similar thing happening to you just over two different ISPs
    rather than the Ihug to Ihug process that I know about.

    --
    Dogboy
    Dogboy, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Dogboy wrote:
    > I dont know if this helps you but I know that changing over is a two
    > step process. The first step is your modem gets connected at your new
    > fast speed then roughly 24-48 hours after that you can actually use that
    > speed on the Ihug network.
    >
    > I have upgraded from Ihug 256k to 2mbps and I know that the modem
    > connecting at 2mbps is only the first half of the process. A lot of
    > people have found their modem connected at 2mbps and instantly gone and
    > done a speed test to find their speed is still ~256kbps.
    >
    > My advice to you is wait a day or two and see what happens, it could be
    > a very similar thing happening to you just over two different ISPs
    > rather than the Ihug to Ihug process that I know about.

    Yes I read about this... I'm not quite sure if it's the same though. I
    think in these cases, what happens is Telecom changes the speed at the
    Dslam and then the ISP needs to change their settings. This is somewhat
    similar to what I'm experiencing now in that I'm still limited to 256k
    as it should be because Orcon is limiting me to 256k. Of course, Orcon
    should not be changing my limit to 2mbit unlike they would for a normal
    speed change.

    But in my case, I believe it's slightly different. It's possible
    Telecom have done their stuff and are waiting for Ihug but from the way
    things are, I think it's still Telecom that has to change me over to
    Ihug before it'll work.

    I know changes to the PPP authentication system (I think it has a name,
    can't remember what it is) usually happen over night so hopefully it'll
    be done soon, I'll let you know how it goes.
    , Nov 14, 2005
  4. Craig Shore Guest

    On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

    It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them
    :)

    >but does anyone know
    >what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

    a. Telecom change the line
    b. Telecom notify ihug
    c. ihug make the changes at their end.

    There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
    emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
    the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
    said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
    the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
    for me in less than 5 mins.
    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2005
  5. Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >Hey all,
    > >
    > >I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

    > It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them
    > :)

    I dislike calling people, now matter how painless it is. Especially
    when it's unnecessary. Call me anti social but...

    > >but does anyone know
    > >what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

    > a. Telecom change the line
    > b. Telecom notify ihug
    > c. ihug make the changes at their end.
    >
    > There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
    > emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
    > the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
    > said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
    > the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
    > for me in less than 5 mins.

    For clarification are you refering to a change in UBS ISP or simply a
    change in line speed? Want to check because as mentioned elsewhere, I'm
    not quite sure if my change is the same as the change in speed, in fact
    I think it's not. But perhaps I'm wrong...
    , Nov 15, 2005
  6. Craig Shore Guest

    On 15 Nov 2005 02:48:36 -0800, wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 Nov 2005 23:21:46 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hey all,
    >> >
    >> >I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet

    >> It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them
    >> :)

    >I dislike calling people, now matter how painless it is. Especially
    >when it's unnecessary. Call me anti social but...
    >

    >> >but does anyone know
    >> >what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP?

    >> a. Telecom change the line
    >> b. Telecom notify ihug
    >> c. ihug make the changes at their end.
    >>
    >> There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
    >> emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
    >> the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
    >> said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
    >> the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
    >> for me in less than 5 mins.

    >For clarification are you refering to a change in UBS ISP or simply a
    >change in line speed? Want to check because as mentioned elsewhere, I'm
    >not quite sure if my change is the same as the change in speed, in fact
    >I think it's not. But perhaps I'm wrong...

    Changing ISP.
    Craig Shore, Nov 16, 2005