    Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 22, 2006

  2. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
    > "sort by reply"
    > I have to click to "sort by date".
    >
    > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
    > group.
    >
    > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.
    >
    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
    Google?
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 23, 2006

  3. geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
    > > "sort by reply"
    > > I have to click to "sort by date".
    > >
    > > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
    > > group.
    > >
    > > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

    > Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
    > Google?

    I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
    like that.
    Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
    date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
    changed to be the default.
    Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
    Your defaults are usually stupid!
    Matty F, Aug 23, 2006
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > geopelia wrote:
    > > > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
    > > > "sort by reply"
    > > > I have to click to "sort by date".
    > > >
    > > > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
    > > > group.
    > > >
    > > > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

    > > Hvae you tried looking in 'your preferences' (or however they word it) on
    > > Google?

    > I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
    > like that.
    > Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
    > date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
    > changed to be the default.
    > Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
    > Your defaults are usually stupid!

    Thank you. I'll browse around a bit but it looks like I've got to
    change it every time!

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 23, 2006
  5. geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:

    > > I've looked everywhere in Google "preferences" and I can't see anything
    > > like that.
    > > Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
    > > date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
    > > changed to be the default.
    > > Memo to System programmers: Always allow defaults to be changed easily.
    > > Your defaults are usually stupid!

    > Thank you. I'll browse around a bit but it looks like I've got to
    > change it every time!

    I have suggested to Google that they change the default or allow "sort
    by date" to be set via preferences. A number of other people have
    suggested a similar thing. I'll see if they are listening :)
    Matty F, Aug 23, 2006
  6. In message <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > Google also has the default "Sort by relevance" instead of "Sort by
    > date" when searching groups. I don't think "Sort by date" can be
    > changed to be the default.

    That annoys me too. I wouldn't mind it so much if it were quicker to change
    the setting. I think radio buttons would work better for this than a pop-up
    menu.

    But then, of course, this kind of thing is easy enough to change yourself,
    by creating your own custom form for submitting to Google's page...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  7. In message <>, geopelia
    wrote:

    > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
    > "sort by reply"
    > I have to click to "sort by date".
    >
    > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
    > group.
    >
    > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

    Would it be possible to script a solution to this using Greasemonkey
    <http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/>?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2006
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, geopelia
    > wrote:
    >
    > > When I click a Google group, the left hand column always comes up as
    > > "sort by reply"
    > > I have to click to "sort by date".
    > >
    > > I want to have "sort by date" appearing when I first click on the
    > > group.
    > >
    > > Can this be done? I can't find it in Google Help.

    > Would it be possible to script a solution to this using Greasemonkey
    > <http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/>?

    Thank you.
    Sounds interesting, but I wouldn't know enough to do it. Google is
    complicated enough already, for me.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Aug 26, 2006