    I dont think i can Dcpromo the 2003 standard pc cos other
    is running sbs. I dont think i can turn off sbs2003
    either cos i expect a global catalogue error.
    Tony, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Tony

    Kurt Guest

    I think you CAN DCPromo the 2K3 standard, but it's not
    a good idea to have a DC as a terminal server.

    If you want to replace the server:

    1) Backup, backup, backup
    2) bring up a new 2K3sb server
    3) Join to the domain and dcpromo
    4) transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC
    5) Unplug the network cable from the old one for
    a week or two to make sure everything is up
    and working properly.
    6) Plug the cable back in and do a graceful dcpromo
    back to a member server.
    7) Unjoin old server from the domain and retire it.

    Of course if you run any apps on it, you'll need to re-install
    those and restore the paths and data in them.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Tony

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "Kurt" <> wrote in news::

    > I think you CAN DCPromo the 2K3 standard, but it's not
    > a good idea to have a DC as a terminal server.
    >
    > If you want to replace the server:
    >
    > 1) Backup, backup, backup
    > 2) bring up a new 2K3sb server
    > 3) Join to the domain and dcpromo
    > 4) transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC
    > 5) Unplug the network cable from the old one for
    > a week or two to make sure everything is up
    > and working properly.
    > 6) Plug the cable back in and do a graceful dcpromo
    > back to a member server.
    > 7) Unjoin old server from the domain and retire it.

    8) and don't forget to stick your finger in the dike and SING IT BABY, just
    like Barry White did it in the 70's!

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Oct 28, 2004
  4. Tony

    Kurt Guest

    Barry who?

    Kurt, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Tony

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Kurt" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > Barry who?

    Your education has been sadly lacking, young man!!

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's the day-to-day living that wears you
    out." Anton Chekhov
    catwalker63, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Tony

    kpg Guest

    <fx/really deep now>
    Now that I'm here no more tears
    Come here, come here
    And you won't find things that broke your heart
    And blew your mind
    Not here, no, not here

    And my, oh, my
    Girl, can't you see, can't you see that I
    I've got so much to give to you, my dear
    It's gonna take a lifetime, it's gonna take years
    kpg, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Tony

    Kurt Guest

    You forgot to set the scene. Let me guess:

    Fake fireplace with a "log cylinder"
    Lava lamp on coffee table
    11 piece suede sectional
    Bottle of Boone Farms "strawberry hill" chilling in bucket
    Wearing your best bell bottom "Levi's"

    :)

    Kurt, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Tony

    Neil Guest

    incase you missed it "Kurt" <> said in

    > You forgot to set the scene. Let me guess:
    >
    > Fake fireplace with a "log cylinder"
    > Lava lamp on coffee table
    > 11 piece suede sectional
    > Bottle of Boone Farms "strawberry hill" chilling in bucket
    > Wearing your best bell bottom "Levi's"
    >
    >:)

    NO BELL BOTTOMS! the rest is true...<sigh>

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Tony

    catwalker63 Guest

    Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in

    > incase you missed it "Kurt" <> said in
    >

    >> You forgot to set the scene. Let me guess:
    >>
    >> Fake fireplace with a "log cylinder"
    >> Lava lamp on coffee table
    >> 11 piece suede sectional
    >> Bottle of Boone Farms "strawberry hill" chilling in bucket
    >> Wearing your best bell bottom "Levi's"
    >>
    >>:)

    > NO BELL BOTTOMS! the rest is true...<sigh>

    Hey! I like bell bottoms!!

    catwalker63, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Tony

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    catwalker63 <> wrote in

    > Neil <guess!!!@gmail.com> prattled ceaslessly in
    >
    >> incase you missed it "Kurt" <> said in
    >>

    >>> You forgot to set the scene. Let me guess:
    >>>
    >>> Fake fireplace with a "log cylinder"
    >>> Lava lamp on coffee table
    >>> 11 piece suede sectional
    >>> Bottle of Boone Farms "strawberry hill" chilling in bucket
    >>> Wearing your best bell bottom "Levi's"
    >>>
    >>>:)

    >> NO BELL BOTTOMS! the rest is true...<sigh>
    >>

    > Hey! I like bell bottoms!!

    i like bottom bells!

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Oct 29, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?b3pzdHlsZXM=?=, Oct 30, 2004
  12. Mate,

    You cannot transfer roles to another server.
    If you can't "upgrade" the server to make it work better maybe even look at
    either
    1. Load SBS on the new server, configure as closely as the other one and
    restore the system state from the old one.
    2. Maybe even build the new one up side by side with a different ip and
    domain name and do a migration.

    But if i were you, I would try and keep the old one going, alot less hassle.

    Good luck
    Adam

    =?Utf-8?B?b3pzdHlsZXM=?=, Oct 30, 2004
  13. Tony

    Kurt Guest

    I think you better take a look at this MS article that explains how to
    transfer the roles before you tell somebody they can't do it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...rd/proddocs/en-us/sag_ADtransferFSMOroles.asp

    Kurt, Oct 31, 2004
  14. Kurt,

    Please read tony's original question.
    He said he is running 1x SBS 2003 domain.
    The reason SBS is so cheap is becuase it has limitations.
    One of them being you cannot transer the FSMO roles..
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.mspx
    and look for the question "Can I use more than one Windows Small Business
    Server 2003 server in the same company?"

    Notice that the article you pointed me to does not say SBS Server...

    Thanks
    Adam

    =?Utf-8?B?b3pzdHlsZXM=?=, Oct 31, 2004
  15. Tony

    Kurt Guest

    I don't know if this is the same article, but here's a MS howto:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324801&product=winsvr2003

    At the bottom of the page it clearly states:

    APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 64-bit Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition

    Although the article from the link you sent did make me suspicious. Still, I
    read it and didn't read anything that specifically says you can't do it.
    This article seems to specifically say it can be done in either standard or
    premium additions of SBS2003.

    Kurt, Nov 1, 2004
  16. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    Q. Can I use more than one Windows Small Business Server 2003 server in the
    same company?

    A. There can be only one Windows Small Business Server 2003 server in a
    domain. Each Windows Small Business Server 2003 server is typically connected
    to the Internet either directly, or via a firewall. Windows Small Business
    Server 2003 does not support trusts between domains; therefore, user names
    and resources could not be shared between those Windows Small Business Server
    2003 servers. Further, Windows Small Business Server 2003 installs at the
    root of the Active Directory forest, and it cannot be demoted, or have the
    flexible single-master operation (FSMO) roles removed.

    www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.mspx

    --
    TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
    MCNGP.com - We're here to help!