    try to install a program it always defaults back to the c:

    Also I've disabled autoplay using the regedit steps as well and autoplay is
    still on.

    =?Utf-8?B?YWY=?=, Jun 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWY=?=

    WM Guest

    Are you installing a 32-bit application? If so you are running into
    filesystem redirection. The OS will always install applications into
    c:\Program Files(X86) - which your application installer will simply show
    you as C:\Program Files\ - there is no way to change that that I am aware
    of.

    WM, Jun 22, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?YWY=?=

    Chuck Guest

    af wrote:
    > I've run the regedit steps found for 32bit XP to change my default program
    > files directory to my e: drive in the 64 edition (which is an empty drive
    > partition).
    >
    > It automtaically created the program files in my e: drive, however when i
    > try to install a program it always defaults back to the c:
    >
    > Also I've disabled autoplay using the regedit steps as well and autoplay is
    > still on.

    I've changed my %Program Files% defaults to "W:\Program Files" on my
    system and it works for me. The following applies to the Trial Edition
    of x64.

    I changed the following keys in the registry (note the "Wow6432Node" keys):

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir
    (x86)

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CommonFilesDir

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\CommonFilesDir
    (x86)

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProgramFilesDir
    (x86)

    I copy the contents of C:\Program Files to W:\Program Files and the
    change the App Paths of the already-installed programs to the "W:"
    partition . I use the freeware Resplendent Registrar Lite
    (http://www.resplendence.com/reglite) to do search and replace and it
    works fine. I do this in Safe Mode.

    Here are the App Path keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths

    I hope I didn't miss anything. I believe the environment variables
    follow the registry.

    With rare exception, anytime I install a new program, the installer will
    see the %Program Files% folder on the non-standard partition. Any
    exceptions I attribute to an installer that assumes "C:\Program Files"
    instead of %ProgramFiles%. I disable write permissions on the
    C:\Program Files folder but sometimes a wayward installer will insist on
    installing to C:\Program Files in which case I need to re-enable write
    permissions or cancel installation and find an alternative.

    Like I said, the above works for me.

    Chuck

    P.S.--Disclaimer: Please--anyone who reads this--don't hold me
    responsible if you hose your registry without a backup.

    Chuck, Jun 22, 2005
  4. This just seems like too much of a risk.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005