Changing the name of my wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tim Boniwell, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Tim Boniwell

    Tim Boniwell Guest

    Hi,

    I have a simple wired/wireless network. i.e PC wired to wireless router
    (3Com) and wireless laptop. ADSL modem (Netgear) wired to router. All XP Pro
    SP2.

    The network works fine using MAC filter on router and WPA-PSK encryption.

    However I set all this up without realising that calling the network WLAN
    was not such a good idea. So I tried to change the name, leaving everything
    else the same.

    I renamed the network and the wireless laptop picked it up straight away,
    but could not connect. Well it said it was connected but could not access an
    address from the network. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but
    cannot find it.

    I went back to the router and changed the name back and everything works
    fine, but how do I change the name and get the laptop to connect properly.

    Any suggestions would be welcome.

    Tim Boniwell

    --
    Please reply to

    All email sent by me is checked
    for viruses before dispatch

    Tim Boniwell, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Tim Boniwell

    Mike Flood Guest

    Tim;
    I think you need to look for where to change SSID in the router and in any
    Wireless NIC's configurations.
    Mike

    Mike Flood, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Tim Boniwell

    Tim Boniwell Guest

    Thanks Mike, for taking the trouble to give some thought to my problem.

    I had changed the name in my router, then gone to the wireless network that
    came up as accessible on the laptop and re-entered the encryption there, but
    although the laptop said it was connected it said it was also still trying
    to access the "address" and I could not access the network to do anything
    with it. Could Windows be confused because the newly named network had the
    same encryption key as the old one? Of course only the name was changed -
    everything else remained the same.

    Once I changed the name back to the old name on the router all worked OK
    again. Any further ideas?

    Thanks again,

    Tim

    Tim Boniwell, Mar 20, 2005