Changing the motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Jun 25, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    My brother has fried a chip on his motherboard:
    http://blades.dk/pub/865Gone.jpg

    The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo2 PLS.

    He can't find the card for sale anymore, so he was wondering if
    there are any cards that he could substitute for it, WITHOUT
    having to reinstall windows in any way.

    I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.

    Which cards have the same chipset? Any 865G cards?
    Incidentally, is that the very chip that he fried?:
    http://blades.dk/pub/865G.jpg

    / Thomas Hejl Pilgaard | If you understand what | /\ /\ \
    / Ostenfeldtsvej 8c 2 tv | you're doing, you're | ^ ^ \
    \ 4700 Naestved, Denmark | not learning anything. | = @ = /
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Jun 25, 2006

  2. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > My brother has fried a chip on his motherboard:
    > http://blades.dk/pub/865Gone.jpg
    >
    > The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo2 PLS.
    >
    > He can't find the card for sale anymore, so he was wondering if
    > there are any cards that he could substitute for it, WITHOUT
    > having to reinstall windows in any way.
    >
    > I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    > that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    > into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.
    >
    > Which cards have the same chipset? Any 865G cards?
    > Incidentally, is that the very chip that he fried?:
    > http://blades.dk/pub/865G.jpg

    I've swapped out motherboards more times than I can remember, and never
    gave a thought to trying get the same chipset. XP is very good at
    sensing new hardware and installing the right drivers. Once you've let
    it go through the first set of sensing and installing drivers, pop in
    the disk that comes with the motherboard and install the mfg's drivers.
    Ain't no big deal. Double check in Device Manager that it got them all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 25, 2006

  3. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    > Ain't no big deal. Double check in Device Manager that it got them all.

    Not come across "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screen yet then?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    old man Guest

    Presumably this means there is no winxp cd?
    Tried Ebay or similar for used mobo?

    old man, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Ain't no big deal. Double check in Device Manager that it got them
    >> all.

    > Not come across "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screen yet then?

    Or the reboot reboot reboot reboot syndrome?

    I've never been able to swap out a motherboard with a dissimilar model and
    have it work with XP. On W9x systems, yes. But not XP. Even a repair install
    of Windows hasn't worked well for me.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > My brother has fried a chip on his motherboard:
    > http://blades.dk/pub/865Gone.jpg
    >
    > The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo2 PLS.
    >
    > He can't find the card for sale anymore, so he was wondering if
    > there are any cards that he could substitute for it, WITHOUT
    > having to reinstall windows in any way.

    Works fine with win3.1, except there is a little issue with availability of
    harddrives ;-)
    Btw. which version is your brother using?

    > I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    > that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    > into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.

    Not with a OEM version of XP. It will want to be "reactivated" but the OEM
    key doesn't permit that.

    > Which cards have the same chipset? Any 865G cards?
    > Incidentally, is that the very chip that he fried?:

    Another question is how the chip got fried - it can as well be a bad power
    supply or a shortcircuit elsewhere (not on the mobo).
    You can try almost any mainboard with linux these days, if availability of a
    legal windows is a problem.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 25, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >
    >>"Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Ain't no big deal. Double check in Device Manager that it got them
    >>>all.

    >>Not come across "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" blue screen yet then?
    >>

    > Or the reboot reboot reboot reboot syndrome?
    >
    > I've never been able to swap out a motherboard with a dissimilar model and
    > have it work with XP. On W9x systems, yes. But not XP. Even a repair install
    > of Windows hasn't worked well for me.

    Guess I've been lucky, eh? Seriously, I've done this over and over and
    .... rarely had any problem whatsoever. Windows will want permission to
    install a shitload of drivers, I let it, then install the drivers from
    the motherboard's driver disk. Works great for me.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 25, 2006
  8. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I've never been able to swap out a motherboard with a dissimilar model and
    > have it work with XP. On W9x systems, yes. But not XP. Even a repair
    > install of Windows hasn't worked well for me.

    *Sometimes* it works (except the reactivation issue) when you know
    *beforehand* and install the new chipset drivers from the mobo cd _before_
    you swap the board.
    Unfortunately most reasons for swapping boards don't give that chance ;-/.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 25, 2006
  9. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:

    >> I've never been able to swap out a motherboard with a dissimilar
    >> model and have it work with XP. On W9x systems, yes. But not XP.
    >> Even a repair install of Windows hasn't worked well for me.
    >>

    > *Sometimes* it works (except the reactivation issue) when you know
    > *beforehand* and install the new chipset drivers from the mobo cd
    > _before_ you swap the board.
    > Unfortunately most reasons for swapping boards don't give that chance
    > ;-/.

    Yeah - most of the time for me I'm repairing way old systems. I'm just lucky
    to find boards that still run Athlon XP 1700+ CPUs and SDRAM or such: I'll
    take any mobo I can find <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  10. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Or the reboot reboot reboot reboot syndrome?

    Those are always fun.

    > I've never been able to swap out a motherboard with a dissimilar model and
    > have it work with XP. On W9x systems, yes. But not XP. Even a repair install
    > of Windows hasn't worked well for me.

    I haven't the foggiest idea why a repair install doesn't work for you.
    but then again, I don't know what the original board was or what you
    replaced it with... Ah well, to each his own.

    > --
    > When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
    > up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
    > learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.

    A lesson well learned. :)

    --
    Regards,
    Dustin Cook

    , Jun 26, 2006
  11. wrote:

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Or the reboot reboot reboot reboot syndrome?

    > Those are always fun.

    Due to the change in mobo drivers, maybe the system partition is recognized
    as a new one (GUID of partition changes, but the old one is kept in
    registry) and gets assigned another driveletter. Which alone would give
    enough grief ... but then, winlogon is "hardcoded" to c: or whatever the
    first install was on, and logon is impossible. One more reason to try out
    linux.
    > I haven't the foggiest idea why a repair install doesn't work for you.
    > but then again, I don't know what the original board was or what you
    > replaced it with... Ah well, to each his own.

    Sometimes it will work, sometimes not. Almost unpredictable.
    >> --
    >> When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
    >> up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
    >> learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.

    > A lesson well learned. :)

    As you grow older, enough women are here to please you ... when changing
    diapers once again, at l(e)ast.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 26, 2006
  12. old man <> skrev i
    rmxng.51711$ :
    > Presumably this means there is no winxp cd?

    No, he has the WinXP CD ready. He would just prefer not to have
    to install all the games, applications and programs all over again.

    > Tried Ebay or similar for used mobo?

    Most cards for sale on ebay are located in the states, so the
    transportation time alone makes it an uninteresting option. I
    have tried local auction sites, but the MB in question is very
    old (at least in this part of the world?).

    I did find this little feature, which we will attempt to use:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Jun 26, 2006
  13. Walter Mautner <> skrev i
    :

    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> My brother has fried a chip on his motherboard:
    >> http://blades.dk/pub/865Gone.jpg
    >>
    >> The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo2 PLS.
    >>
    >> He can't find the card for sale anymore, so he was wondering if
    >> there are any cards that he could substitute for it, WITHOUT
    >> having to reinstall windows in any way.
    >>

    > Works fine with win3.1, except there is a little issue with
    > availability of harddrives ;-)
    > Btw. which version is your brother using?

    Yes, of course - My bad. He is using WinXP w/SP2.

    >> I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    >> that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    >> into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.
    >>

    > Not with a OEM version of XP. It will want to be "reactivated" but
    > the OEM key doesn't permit that.

    Hmmm. THIS might be an issue...

    >> Which cards have the same chipset? Any 865G cards?
    >> Incidentally, is that the very chip that he fried?:

    > Another question is how the chip got fried - it can as well be a bad
    > power supply or a shortcircuit elsewhere (not on the mobo).

    The PSU is a recently installed Chill CP-520A3 (520W).
    The motherboard is the second card of that type in his machine.
    There was a problem with the first card of the same type - I
    can't remember what that problem was, though.

    > You can try almost any mainboard with linux these days, if
    > availability of a legal windows is a problem.

    Why would that be something to try, again?

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Jun 26, 2006
  14. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    >>> When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you
    >>> grow up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young
    >>> man, I learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.

    > As you grow older, enough women are here to please you ... when
    > changing diapers once again, at l(e)ast.

    Wow! That means there's still HOPE! I never thought of it that way before
    <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2006
  15. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    > Walter Mautner <> skrev i
    > :
    >> Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    >>> that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    >>> into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.
    >>>

    >> Not with a OEM version of XP. It will want to be "reactivated" but
    >> the OEM key doesn't permit that.

    > Hmmm. THIS might be an issue...

    Not usually. If the key hasn't been "reactivated" in the last several
    months, MS usually lets it through no problem. Worst case, he could have to
    call MS activation phone number and explain to them. They've been very
    helpful in the past with my re-installs of OEM systems due to motherboard
    failure. I told them that the only thing I replaced was the motherboard,
    keeping the same CPU, RAM, drives, etc. and they issued an activation code.

    >> You can try almost any mainboard with linux these days, if
    >> availability of a legal windows is a problem.

    > Why would that be something to try, again?

    Penguin pusher. Linux, with a graphical user interface, is adequate for many
    people, but if he has software that he needs to run which doesn't have a
    Linux alternative, then obviously Linux fails to be a viable solution.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2006
  16. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >> Walter Mautner <> skrev i
    >> :

    >>> Not with a OEM version of XP. It will want to be "reactivated" but
    >>> the OEM key doesn't permit that.

    >> Hmmm. THIS might be an issue...

    > Not usually. If the key hasn't been "reactivated" in the last several
    > months, MS usually lets it through no problem. Worst case, he could have
    > to call MS activation phone number and explain to them. They've been very
    > helpful in the past with my re-installs of OEM systems due to motherboard
    > failure. I told them that the only thing I replaced was the motherboard,
    > keeping the same CPU, RAM, drives, etc. and they issued an activation
    > code.

    Nice to hear. Here over, it is all left to the vendors. If you buy a new
    mainboard, at least discounts for a new OEM windows.

    >>> You can try almost any mainboard with linux these days, if
    >>> availability of a legal windows is a problem.

    >> Why would that be something to try, again?

    > Penguin pusher. Linux, with a graphical user interface, is adequate for
    > many people, but if he has software that he needs to run which doesn't
    > have a Linux alternative, then obviously Linux fails to be a viable
    > solution.

    Well yes, depends. For common "home use" however, it proves more then
    adequate and up till now no spyware and virus griefs, as a bonus.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 26, 2006
  17. Re: Changing motherboard WITHOUT reinstalling? YES!

    Walter Mautner <> skrev i
    :

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >>
    >>> [Reactivation of OEM-key]
    >>> Hmmm. THIS might be an issue...

    >> Not usually. If the key hasn't been "reactivated" in the last several
    >> months, MS usually lets it through no problem. Worst case, he could
    >> have to call MS activation phone number and explain to them. They've
    >> been very helpful in the past with my re-installs of OEM systems due
    >> to motherboard failure. I told them that the only thing I replaced
    >> was the motherboard, keeping the same CPU, RAM, drives, etc. and
    >> they issued an activation code.

    Indeed, he has had excellent service from Microsoft in a
    similar situation before.

    >>> Why would that be something to try, again?

    >> Penguin pusher. Linux, with a graphical user interface, is adequate
    >> for many people, but if he has software that he needs to run which
    >> doesn't have a Linux alternative, then obviously Linux fails to be a
    >> viable solution.
    >>

    > Well yes, depends. For common "home use" however, it proves more then
    > adequate and up till now no spyware and virus griefs, as a bonus.

    I see.
    No, with the kind of use the PC sees (gaming), that is not an option.

    Incidentally, the MB is now changed, and apart from having to
    fiddle around a little with the SATA cables, the procedure was
    no problem at all. The new card is a micro-ATX card (the only
    socket-478 card in the local store) with a completely different
    chipset, and from a different company to boot.

    Thomas Hejl Pilgaard, Jun 27, 2006
  18. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Thomas Hejl Pilgaard" <> wrote:

    >old man <> skrev i
    >rmxng.51711$ :
    >> Presumably this means there is no winxp cd?

    >No, he has the WinXP CD ready. He would just prefer not to have
    >to install all the games, applications and programs all over again.

    The Repair Install procedure, which is almost always required so as to
    rebuild the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) in Windows to match the
    components on the new motherboard, will preserve all of the installed
    applications, user data files, and configuration settings. Windows
    Updates will have to be reinstalled.

    See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for detailed
    instructions.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jun 27, 2006
  19. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Seatoller Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:39:53 +0200, Walter Mautner wrote:

    > Thomas Hejl Pilgaard wrote:
    >
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> My brother has fried a chip on his motherboard:
    >> http://blades.dk/pub/865Gone.jpg
    >>
    >> The motherboard is an MSI 865G Neo2 PLS.
    >>
    >> He can't find the card for sale anymore, so he was wondering if
    >> there are any cards that he could substitute for it, WITHOUT
    >> having to reinstall windows in any way.
    >>

    > Works fine with win3.1, except there is a little issue with availability of
    > harddrives ;-)
    > Btw. which version is your brother using?
    >
    >> I read that there is a chance of just that, with motherboards
    >> that have the same chipset. All you would have to do was reboot
    >> into safe mode, then reboot, and it just might be fine.
    >>

    > Not with a OEM version of XP. It will want to be "reactivated" but the OEM
    > key doesn't permit that.

    IIRC MS say that if he changes the mobo, he would have to /buy/ another
    licence? Thank goodness we don't have to put up with that sh*t in linux.
    Makes you wonder just /who's/ machine it is...

    >> Which cards have the same chipset? Any 865G cards?
    >> Incidentally, is that the very chip that he fried?:

    > Another question is how the chip got fried - it can as well be a bad power
    > supply or a shortcircuit elsewhere (not on the mobo).
    > You can try almost any mainboard with linux these days, if availability of a
    > legal windows is a problem.

    I've swopped quite a few mainboards in systems with linux, & didn't need
    to reinstall anything, they just picked up where they'd left off.
    Nor did I need to seek anyone's permission to "reactivate" anything! ;-)

    Seatoller, Jun 28, 2006
  20. Thomas Hejl Pilgaard

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Seatoller" <> wrote in message

    > IIRC MS say that if he changes the mobo, he would have to /buy/ another
    > licence?

    Didn't happen here.

    Dan Evans, Jun 28, 2006