    thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    but don't know how!
    Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks
    magnogreato, Feb 3, 2007

  2. On Feb 2, 6:42 pm, "magnogreato" <> wrote:
    > At present MS Paint is my default program when I download pictures/
    > data from my media
    > card using the Brother MFC 5840CN. When I try to save an edited
    > picture so that I can
    > set it as background, I have a problem with paint...when the picture
    > is present and I clik
    > on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    > I must first save the
    > picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've already saved it
    > and no matter how many
    > times I save it, I get the same error. I'm not having any luck with
    > MS on this issue so I
    > thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    > but don't know how!
    > Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    Usually each photo program you install sets the file type association.
    So usually the last program you installed should be the default for
    photo file types

    However, you can change this itself but it is a pain. I'll check,
    but as my memory serves me, it is in the file section of the Control
    Panel.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Feb 3, 2007

  3. magnogreato

    Dave Cohen Guest

    magnogreato wrote:
    > At present MS Paint is my default program when I download pictures/
    > data from my media
    > card using the Brother MFC 5840CN. When I try to save an edited
    > picture so that I can
    > set it as background, I have a problem with paint...when the picture
    > is present and I clik
    > on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    > I must first save the
    > picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've already saved it
    > and no matter how many
    > times I save it, I get the same error. I'm not having any luck with
    > MS on this issue so I
    > thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    > but don't know how!
    > Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    I don't know, maybe it wants a particular extension. I've never used
    paint, I right click on the desktop, navigate to properties/settings
    /desktop and browse to the filename, .jpg seems to work.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Feb 3, 2007
  4. magnogreato

    ASAAR Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 16:42:01 -0800, magnogreato wrote:

    > At present MS Paint is my default program when I download
    > pictures/data from my media card using the Brother MFC 5840CN.
    > When I try to save an edited picture so that I can set it as background,
    > I have a problem with paint...when the picture is present and I clik
    > on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    > I must first save the picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've
    > already saved it and no matter how many times I save it, I get the same
    > error. I'm not having any luck with MS on this issue so I thought I
    > would change the default paint program to something else,
    > but don't know how!
    > Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    The problem is due to the fact that JPG files aren't MS Paint's
    native file format and Microsoft was under no pressure to extend
    Paint's abilities beyond the absolute minimum. After Paint has
    opened one of the files, you need to save change its format to BMP
    using Save As, and then choose one of the BMP options from the
    drop-down list. Suitable choices for wallpapers would be either
    "256 Color Bitmap(*.bmp,*.dib)" or "24-bit Bitmap(*.bmp,*.dib)".
    There are also Monochrome and 16 Color Bitmaps, but you probably
    wouldn't like the quality of the wallpapers that they'd produce.

    Alternatively, you'd probably be better off using a program that's
    really intended to view and edit pictures. Irfanview is free, very
    small (easy to download even with dialup a modem), is one of the
    best JPG viewing programs, has photo editing capabilities far
    superior to the few options MS Paint has, most of them being more
    suitable for drawings than photos. Irfanview, by the way, has no
    problem creating wallpapers even if the images it opens are BMP
    files. In other words it can create wallpapers without having to
    first save it to another format.
    ASAAR, Feb 3, 2007
  5. magnogreato wrote:
    > At present MS Paint is my default program when I download pictures/
    > data from my media
    > card using the Brother MFC 5840CN. When I try to save an edited
    > picture so that I can
    > set it as background, I have a problem with paint...when the picture
    > is present and I clik
    > on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    > I must first save the
    > picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've already saved it
    > and no matter how many
    > times I save it, I get the same error. I'm not having any luck with
    > MS on this issue so I
    > thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    > but don't know how!
    > Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    In Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, open with....., choose the
    program. If you want this type file to be always associated with this
    porogram, select the file, go to Tools-folder options-file types-change
    program.
    Dennis Pogson, Feb 3, 2007
  6. magnogreato

    Bucky Guest

    On Feb 3, 1:02 am, "Dennis Pogson" <>
    wrote:
    > In Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, open with....., choose the
    > program. If you want this type file to be always associated with this
    > porogram, select the file, go to Tools-folder options-file types-change
    > program.

    Yup, this is the correct solution. Do not use MS Paint for viewing/
    editing images, that's not what it was designed to do. It was made for
    painting simple graphics. Even Windows Picture Viewer is better. But
    you're best off getting IrfanView and setting that as default.
    Bucky, Feb 3, 2007
  7. magnogreato

    Guest

    On 2 Feb 2007 16:42:01 -0800, "magnogreato" <> wrote:

    >At present MS Paint is my default program when I download pictures/
    >data from my media
    >card using the Brother MFC 5840CN. When I try to save an edited
    >picture so that I can
    >set it as background, I have a problem with paint...when the picture
    >is present and I clik
    >on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    >I must first save the
    >picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've already saved it
    >and no matter how many
    >times I save it, I get the same error. I'm not having any luck with
    >MS on this issue so I
    >thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    >but don't know how!
    >Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    The easiest way to change a file association is to find the type of
    file you are concerned with then.....

    1. Right click it and select "open with"
    2. Then click "choose program"
    3. Put a check in "always use the selected program......"
    4. Then either find the program in the list or browse to it.
    5. Highlight it and click "OK"
    , Feb 3, 2007
  8. magnogreato

    dj_nme Guest

    wrote:

    > On 2 Feb 2007 16:42:01 -0800, "magnogreato" <> wrote:
    >

    >>At present MS Paint is my default program when I download pictures/
    >>data from my media
    >>card using the Brother MFC 5840CN. When I try to save an edited
    >>picture so that I can
    >>set it as background, I have a problem with paint...when the picture
    >>is present and I clik
    >>on file to set it as background, an error box comes up telling me that
    >>I must first save the
    >>picture b4 I can set it as background....duh, I've already saved it
    >>and no matter how many
    >>times I save it, I get the same error. I'm not having any luck with
    >>MS on this issue so I
    >>thought I would change the default paint program to something else,
    >>but don't know how!
    >>Can anyone help out on this issue? thanks

    > The easiest way to change a file association is to find the type of
    > file you are concerned with then.....
    >
    > 1. Right click it and select "open with"
    > 2. Then click "choose program"
    > 3. Put a check in "always use the selected program......"
    > 4. Then either find the program in the list or browse to it.
    > 5. Highlight it and click "OK"

    That's well and good, but in Windows98 it was possible to assign one
    program for just viewing (when a media file is double clicked on) and
    another for editing (with right click plus edit).
    There doesn't seem to be that option in Windows XP.
    dj_nme, Feb 3, 2007