    system to include Booting from an USB-drive and more important how to
    proceed.

    TIA
    Anna Chaisone, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Anna Chaisone

    Guest

    On 24 Feb, 14:28, Anna Chaisone <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an Acer Notebook (2 years old) and a Desktop Computer which I
    > bought recently.
    >
    > The Desktop Computer offers in the choice of the Bootup Sequence to
    > Boot from an USB-drive.
    >
    > The option to Boot from an USB-drive is not offered by ny Notebook and
    > the only choices are to Boot from Hard-Disk or CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > I wrote to Acer to know if they would be offering an upgrade of the
    > BIOS system to include Booting form an USB-drive, but got no answer
    > untill now.
    >
    > I would like to know if it is possible write an upgrade of the BIOS
    > system to include Booting from an USB-drive and more important how to
    > proceed.
    >
    > TIA

    Most computers nowadays support booting from USB..
    Choose boot from hard disk, or CD drive, and
    Try a USB CD drive
    Try a USB Hard Disk Drive
    Try a USB Floppy disk drive

    I have seen one computer that offered "USB CD Drive", "CD Drive". And
    another that just said "CD Drive" Buth both supported booting from a
    USB CD drive.

    It may be that the option is there but you missed it.. I have done
    that myself.. Go to where the options are, highlight one of them, and
    hold DOWN, maybe page down. You may it scroll down and show more
    options. (though from what you describe, I doubt it, since you said
    you only see 2 options, I doubt there are more when scrolling)

    It may be that the motherboard does not support it. In which case a
    BIOS upgrade will not help.

    I googled acer support, and chose a laptop and got this
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_2430.html
    a support webpage by Acer for one of their laptop. And it has an
    option to download the latest BIOS available for it.
    Heve you tried that?

    Acer may have a support forum, and there is this too
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

    The place people get BIOS updates, is from the motherboard
    manufacturer, or for a laptop, perhaps, the notebook manufacturer..
    And it is free.

    Minor side note, There was a website that would come up on google high
    in the results, that sold BIOS updates for about $60, they would ask
    for a string to identify the BIOS you had. It was probably a bit of a
    con though, since they must have been selling to people who could have
    got it free from the manufacturer`s site.
    , Feb 24, 2008

  3. Anna Chaisone

    Guest

    On 24 Feb, 15:01, "" <snip>
    > Try a USB Floppy disk drive

    to try that would require at least an option to boot from floppy.

    <snip>
    > I googled acer support, and chose a laptop and got thishttp://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_2430.html
    > a support webpage by Acer for one of their laptop. And it has an
    > option to download the latest BIOS available for it.
    > Heve you tried that?

    What I mean is. Tried that method. But for your laptop.

    You do not want to try the BIOS on some other laptop`s download page.

    It may be an understatement to say that if you flash your BIOS with an
    updated one, and the updated BIOS you flashed it with is for a
    different motherboard - it is not an update of the original BIOS, then
    it can or will cause problems, like the computer not booting. The
    question would be whether those problems are undoable. Fortunately
    you haven`t done that!

    <snip>
    , Feb 24, 2008
  4. Anna Chaisone

    Baron Guest

    Anna Chaisone wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an Acer Notebook (2 years old) and a Desktop Computer which I
    > bought recently.
    >
    > The Desktop Computer offers in the choice of the Bootup Sequence to
    > Boot from an USB-drive.
    >
    > The option to Boot from an USB-drive is not offered by ny Notebook and
    > the only choices are to Boot from Hard-Disk or CD/DVD drive.
    >
    > I wrote to Acer to know if they would be offering an upgrade of the
    > BIOS system to include Booting form an USB-drive, but got no answer
    > untill now.
    >
    > I would like to know if it is possible write an upgrade of the BIOS
    > system to include Booting from an USB-drive and more important how to
    > proceed.
    >
    > TIA

    Doesn't pressing F11 or F12 at boot up give you the options you want ?
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Baron wrote:

    <snip>

    To the people who replied in this thread.

    1. There are only 2 Boot options on my Notebook:

    Boot-up from a CD/DVD drive or Boot-up from Hard-disk.

    When I choose the option to Boot from CD/DVD drive, I have to push any
    key within a timeframe. Otherwise the Notebook will go look straight
    for the hard-disk.

    No USB devices are supported on Boot-up time. This includes external
    (USB) disks or CD/DVD drives.
    I did try to Boot-up with an external Floppy-drive from IBM, as this
    option could also do the job I want.
    But this device was only recognized by my notebook AFTER I boot-up
    from the hard-disk or from the CD\DVD drive.

    2. I know enough to dont make the obvious error to flash my BIOS with
    the BIOS from another system. Even f it is another Acer Notebook.

    But I would like to know from somebody in the computer field if it
    would be possible to look into the way the BIOS is written on another
    computer to support Booting from an USB drive and "translate" that to
    my BIOS.

    3. I have asked the same question to Acer and their response was that
    they dont offer Booting from an USB drive without anymore
    explanations.

    For the records, my notebook is an ACER Travelmate 2312 NLCi_L.

    Almost every software leaves traces in the Windoows registrery and
    some leaves traces all around my hard-disk. Even when I "Uninstall"
    them. That slows down my computer to the point that I need to wipe
    everything out of my hard-disk and reinstall the software on a clean
    formatted hard-disk.

    I would like to have 1 or more bootable USB-drive(s) that holds a
    clean "first time" OS (Windows, Linux, etc...) and leave my hard-disk
    to contain only data..

    Regards
    Anna Chaisone, Feb 25, 2008
  6. Anna Chaisone

    Baron Guest

    Anna Chaisone wrote:

    > Baron wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > To the people who replied in this thread.
    >
    > 1. There are only 2 Boot options on my Notebook:
    >
    > Boot-up from a CD/DVD drive or Boot-up from Hard-disk.

    > For the records, my notebook is an ACER Travelmate 2312 NLCi_L.

    I was/am fairly sure that there are other boot options in a separate
    menu accessed by holding down one of the function keys while the
    machine boots up. It could be turned off in the BIOS though!

    You really need to have a read through the user manual to find out
    exactly.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Feb 25, 2008
  7. Anna Chaisone

    Brian Guest

    "Anna Chaisone" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    For the records, my notebook is an ACER Travelmate 2312 NLCi_L.

    Almost every software leaves traces in the Windoows registrery and
    some leaves traces all around my hard-disk. Even when I "Uninstall"
    them. That slows down my computer to the point that I need to wipe
    everything out of my hard-disk and reinstall the software on a clean
    formatted hard-disk.

    I would like to have 1 or more bootable USB-drive(s) that holds a
    clean "first time" OS (Windows, Linux, etc...) and leave my hard-disk
    to contain only data..

    Regards

    Why not just ghost the drive when the OS is how you like it. After using
    whatever program slows the computer down, just re-image the drive. You can
    keep the ghost image on an external USB drive
    Brian, Mar 2, 2008