    anyway? Or will it leave the disk in an improved state for data recovery?

    (Btw, I started the thread "Win2k biglba support". THanks for the help. No
    luck so far though.)
    Win2k, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Win2k

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Win2k wrote:
    > Is there any way to have chkdsk run in QUIET mode when it executes during
    > startup (as per the command-line option)? The reason I ask is because it will
    > take maybe 2 days to run to completion with the screwed up drive (145G
    > partition) I have. It prints out each cluster as it goes and there's maybe 2
    > million+ clusters.
    >
    > Btw, is allowing chkdsk to run to completion in this situation a sure way to
    > make it impossible to salvage any data - and so should I forget about chkdsk
    > anyway? Or will it leave the disk in an improved state for data recovery?

    In my experience, it is vital *not* to do anything to the data on the
    disk at all. Use a forensics distribution (there are some excellent free
    tools around) to take an image of the partition and work on that. Do not
    run chkdsk (especially chkdsk!) or even write to the drive (and that
    means do not boot from it) if it has important data that you want to
    recover. At least by taking an image you can afford to experiment with
    ways of getting your data; if you are working on the original and you
    make a mistake, you're hosed. If you run chkdsk you are probably already
    hosed.

    It is easy enough to write an image to another location on your network,
    then work on that.

    It is all a lot easier if you keep your partitions down to a manageable
    size, too.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 5, 2005