    other than grayscale, and grayscale isn't really my colour.

    Thanks (I am aware of numourus posting in others groups on the same
    topic, so I posted here with a more specific computer).

    Travis, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Travis

    Robert Baer Guest

    Travis wrote:

    > I have two Dell Dimension 1100 desktops, and was able to change the
    > shared video memory in the BIOS through "Integrated Devices
    > (LegacySelect Option)" but my Dell Inspiron 1150's BIOS is very basic,
    > it has 3 tabs and I can't change much except the boot order.
    >
    > I have updated my FlashBIOS but it doens't help, is there another tool
    > to do this somehow? It's not about games or video cards, it's that OS
    > X86 needs for than 1MB of shared video memory to boot up in a colour
    > other than grayscale, and grayscale isn't really my colour.
    >
    > Thanks (I am aware of numourus posting in others groups on the same
    > topic, so I posted here with a more specific computer).

    First mjor problem: Dell = = proprietaty, not subject to changes or
    replacement of internal items (HD and MB for starters).
    "Shared memory video" almost always implies an onboard video and thus
    *must* share memory to work; This is how they chintz to be able to offer
    a lower price and/or increase profits.
    There may be cases where the video board is a daughterboard and
    *looks* physically like any other off-the-shelf video board, but the
    hardware was severely limited to reduce costs and in a way that the
    motherboard memory is required for operation.

    In either case,you are stuck with the crap you bought.
    Next time, go generic and DIY!

    Robert Baer, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I had no idea what you just said, I don't care if Dell doens't want me
    changing it's computers, I've long voided my laptops warranty. Second,
    I'm not sure what DIY is, and what is a generic computer? No-name brand
    laptops or Presidents-Choice laptops they sell at Supervalu and
    wal-mart?

    Travis, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Travis

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 15:01:40 -0700, Travis wrote:

    > I have two Dell Dimension 1100 desktops, and was able to change the
    > shared video memory in the BIOS through "Integrated Devices
    > (LegacySelect Option)" but my Dell Inspiron 1150's BIOS is very basic,
    > it has 3 tabs and I can't change much except the boot order.
    >
    > I have updated my FlashBIOS but it doens't help, is there another tool
    > to do this somehow? It's not about games or video cards, it's that OS
    > X86 needs for than 1MB of shared video memory to boot up in a colour
    > other than grayscale, and grayscale isn't really my colour.
    >
    > Thanks (I am aware of numourus posting in others groups on the same
    > topic, so I posted here with a more specific computer).

    Your laptop uses proprietary onboard graphics. Basically, your stuck with
    the Dell video chip (Intell 82855 GME Graphics Chipset, in your case)
    that's built into the motherboard. Typically onboard video is allocated
    16, 32 or 64Mb of memory for the graphics card. (Your Inspiron 1150 gets
    64Mb.) The memory is sucking off of your RAM chips. So if you've got 256Mb
    of RAM (which is what comes with the 1150) and 64Mb is allocated for your
    video then your only left with 192Mb of RAM for the system. What I don't
    understand is why you would only have 1Mb of memory allocated to your
    video card. So I'm not sure what your trying to do.

    JTJersey, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Travis

    Travis Guest

    My Dell Inspiron came with 512MB of RAM. I need to change the UMA
    because when trying to install Mac OS X it always is black and white
    and I need the extra for it to work.

    Travis, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Travis

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 20:50:33 -0700, Travis wrote:

    > My Dell Inspiron came with 512MB of RAM. I need to change the UMA
    > because when trying to install Mac OS X it always is black and white and
    > I need the extra for it to work.

    You should still have 64Mb of memory allocated to the graphics card. I'm
    not understanding why you say there is only 1Mb of memory available out of
    that 512Mb.

    JTJersey, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Travis

    Travis Guest

    Sorry, I just went into my BIOS on my desktop which is working on what
    I need to do.

    In my BIOS on my desktop, I enter "Integrated Devices (LegacySelect
    Option)" and then change the "Onboard Video Buffer" from "1MB" to "8MB"
    to get it working. But my laptop doesn't have the integrated devices"
    option.

    Travis, Oct 10, 2006
  8. Travis

    pen Guest

    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, I just went into my BIOS on my desktop which is working on what
    > I need to do.
    >
    > In my BIOS on my desktop, I enter "Integrated Devices (LegacySelect
    > Option)" and then change the "Onboard Video Buffer" from "1MB" to "8MB"
    > to get it working. But my laptop doesn't have the integrated devices"
    > option.
    >
    > JTJersey wrote:
    >> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 20:50:33 -0700, Travis wrote:
    >>
    >> > My Dell Inspiron came with 512MB of RAM. I need to change the UMA
    >> > because when trying to install Mac OS X it always is black and white
    >> > and
    >> > I need the extra for it to work.
    >> >

    >> You should still have 64Mb of memory allocated to the graphics card. I'm
    >> not understanding why you say there is only 1Mb of memory available out
    >> of
    >> that 512Mb.

    If the BIOS doesn't have the adjustment then you're stuck. However, if
    there is a hack then post in the Dell group and you'll get better answers.
    try alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

    pen, Oct 10, 2006
  9. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I posted in that group, if you don't understand what I mean by
    grayscale colour and everything I uploaded some photos to my site
    (HTML, small friendly web size)

    http://zentec.110mb.com/macosx

    Travis, Oct 11, 2006
  10. Travis

    pen Guest

    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    >I posted in that group, if you don't understand what I mean by
    > grayscale colour and everything I uploaded some photos to my site
    > (HTML, small friendly web size)
    >
    > http://zentec.110mb.com/macosx

    When I looked at your web site it appeared to me that the biggest problem
    you have is that the Apple boot resolution isn't set to the LCD screen's
    native resolution, which is making it so difficult to read. Before OSX
    loads all is well,but once OSX loads the resolution is changing to something
    non optimum. I'm unsure why.

    pen, Oct 11, 2006
  11. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I am aware of that, it should be 1024x768 but it's the onboard video
    buffer than is too low to allow a higher resolution or more than
    Grayscale colouring.

    Travis, Oct 12, 2006