  1. Can I change the "open" wireless network to "secured"; or do I need to set up
    a new wireless connection? Windows XP SP2 with a 801.1g gateway adapter,
    gateway wireless router to broadband cable modem connection.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZ2llIEQu?=, Mar 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFnZ2llIEQu?=

    Malke Guest

    Maggie D. wrote:

    > Can I change the "open" wireless network to "secured"; or do I need to
    > set up
    > a new wireless connection? Windows XP SP2 with a 801.1g gateway
    > adapter, gateway wireless router to broadband cable modem connection.

    Of course you can change your current wireless network to secured. You
    should. First, make sure one of your network computers is connected to
    the router via ethernet (wired). Then go into your router's
    configuration setup. This is usually done from a browser. Look in your
    router's manual for exact instructions. Once you are in the router
    configuration setup, change the wireless security to WEP or WPA (the
    latter only if all hardware supports it - better to just try WEP first
    if you aren't sure). Assign an encryption key and copy it. Now go to
    all the computers that connect wirelessly and enter the encryption key
    for your wireless network connection.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell