    Pent II system he disassembled.

    Can I do this? How? I am not very knowledgeable but I'm willing to try.

    Budd
    Budd Cochran, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Budd Cochran

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:24:45 +0000, Budd Cochran wrote:

    > I recently purchased a used Pent II Compaq computer to replace my
    > ancient Pent I system. The Compaq has only 64 MB (DIMM type) RAM and I'd
    > like to replace it with 198 MB of SIMM RAM I was given by my
    > Brother-In-Law from a Pent II system he disassembled.
    >
    > Can I do this? How? I am not very knowledgeable but I'm willing to try.
    >
    > Budd

    Is your SIMM RAM from Compaq? If not, I wouldn't neccesarily try.
    Compaq's are very proprietary. Does the motherboard have SIMM slots,
    they're different than DIMM slots. If you want though, just open the
    case, take out the dimms and put in the simms, probably need the simms to
    go in pairs. SIMMS chips go in on a 45 degree angle, don't force it, the
    keys on the sides of the chips have to be aligned with the correct side of
    the memory bank itself. If you can't lay it in there on a 45 degree angle
    and gently push it upright until it snaps in place, flip the chip around
    and try it again. It's hard for me to explain, search google for
    installing SIMM and you should get lots of stuff. If you reboot and get
    three short beeps and no actual boot process, take em out and put the
    dimms back in, reboot and cross your fingers. ~Bob
    Bob, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Budd Cochran

    ICee Guest

    Budd Cochran wrote:
    > I recently purchased a used Pent II Compaq computer to replace my
    > ancient Pent I system. The Compaq has only 64 MB (DIMM type) RAM and
    > I'd like to replace it with 198 MB of SIMM RAM I was given by my
    > Brother-In-Law from a Pent II system he disassembled.
    >
    > Can I do this? How? I am not very knowledgeable but I'm willing to
    > try.
    >
    > Budd

    No, you cannot use a SIMM (Single In-line Memory Module) in place of a
    DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Module). A SIMM module is physically
    different from a DIMM module, and they are not interchangeable.
    More info here, if you're curious:
    http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/49/4/
    ICee, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Budd Cochran

    howla Guest

    Take no notice of Bob, remember that saying, "a little knowledge...", take
    ICee's advice, as he/she rightly stated, simms are physically different to
    dimms.

    howla, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Budd Cochran

    JabberSmith Guest

    Note that some people refer to SIMM / DIMM incorrectly. The memory may in
    fact work.

    To try. Open the new PC. Find the memory (little green board in a slot).

    Examine it for how to take it out, some have clips, some have to be tilted.

    Carefully take out one stick.

    Compare it to the stick your brother provided for physical characteristics,
    length, if there is a notch, where is it.... also count the "pins" (the
    metal areas) to make sure there is the same number. Last, compare color of
    the pins, some motherboards needed tin, some gold (though that is rare).

    If you are satisfied that they are the same type, put one stick back in the
    slot (carefully, remember if you force it you trashed it... but sometimes it
    takes a good push).

    Boot the computer, see what happens. Any unusual beeps or messages on the
    text that comes up means it probably wont work.

    You can get really cheap memory nowdays. Find some of your local
    computer-type people (not shop, just someone that has more than one) and see
    if they have extra memory. (I've got about 3 gigs of various sizes sitting
    around I have been too lazy to sell...so others might too.)

    Compaq's web page might have specific information about the model of
    computer and upgrading it. Try that.

    Also, don't get a Compaq. They are good for businesses that buy 100's of
    them, but for individuals they are not as easy to deal with as places like
    Dell or your local computer shop.

    JabberSmith, Feb 24, 2004
  6. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    Excuse me, but I've already caught a ton of flack for buying a Compaq, but
    the price was right (cheap!) and it worked while my old 1996 Pent I was DOA
    and no longer repairable for a reasonable price.

    I apologize for not having the financial wherewithal to afford whatever your
    pet brand is.

    I _have_ checked the pin count, the notch patterns, etc. and they will
    physically install in the mother board but I get a "Wrong memory type"
    message that says I've installed SIMM memory in place of DIMM memory.

    Please excuse me for bothering you.

    Budd

    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    Well, after Mr. "JabberSmith's" commentary, I got the feeling I should shoot
    my dog for letting me even pose a question here since I own a Compaq.

    <VBG>

    Thanks for the advice.

    Budd

    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  8. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    Thanks, I took a look at the site and my modules will interchange according
    to the site info..

    The first time I tried, I put all the modules in the motherboard's three
    slots. (Hey, a little RAM is good and too much is just right, right?) But I
    got an error message that stated I was using the wrong kind of modules;
    SIMMs instead of DIMMs.

    Should I try the "new" modules by themselves, maybe? I just want to play my
    old MS Combat Flight Sims without the all the pauses.

    Budd

    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Budd Cochran

    ICee Guest

    Budd Cochran wrote:
    > Thanks, I took a look at the site and my modules will interchange
    > according to the site info..
    >
    > The first time I tried, I put all the modules in the motherboard's
    > three slots. (Hey, a little RAM is good and too much is just right,
    > right?) But I got an error message that stated I was using the wrong
    > kind of modules; SIMMs instead of DIMMs.
    >
    > Should I try the "new" modules by themselves, maybe? I just want to
    > play my old MS Combat Flight Sims without the all the pauses.
    >
    > Budd

    It sounds like you have a different type of DIMM, since SIMMs have a
    different pin count than DIMMs. It may be the "new" modules use a
    higher density memory chip than the motherboard can address properly.
    If you could give a clue as to the motherboard make and model, it would
    be easier to give a more definitive answer. If you don't know, or it's
    not on the motherboard, you can use a program to identify the make and
    model of the MB. Use Aida32, which can be downloaded here:
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php
    When run, this will give info on everything in the computer. Use the
    "Personal System Information" version, since it's smaller to download,
    and post back with the motherboard make and model.

    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > It sounds like you have a different type of DIMM, since SIMMs have a
    > different pin count than DIMMs. It may be the "new" modules use a
    > higher density memory chip than the motherboard can address properly.
    > If you could give a clue as to the motherboard make and model, it would
    > be easier to give a more definitive answer. If you don't know, or it's
    > not on the motherboard, you can use a program to identify the make and
    > model of the MB. Use Aida32, which can be downloaded here:
    > http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php
    > When run, this will give info on everything in the computer. Use the
    > "Personal System Information" version, since it's smaller to download,
    > and post back with the motherboard make and model.

    Now that is a good program. Downloaded, unzipped, and ran it, no sweat, no
    strain.

    Ok, here's the info plus a few other items that might help:

    The motherboard is a Compaq Deskpro ( manufactured by Hewlette Packard, btw)
    and the processor is a 100 Mhz Pent II. It's ID is shown as <DMI> . . .
    whatever that means.

    The memory bus properties are: 64 bit, SDRAM, real / virtual clocks @100
    Mhz, 800MB bandwidth.

    In the memory controller I found this: 3.3 Volt, Max size RAM = 256MB, Types
    of memory: ECC, DIMM, SDRAM.

    The current onboard RAM is a Kingston KGM100X64C3/64 SDRAM @ 100Mhz.

    The memory cards I have are Samsung SEC KMM366S823ATL-G0 units. I tried
    them in the Gateway my son has they appear to have about 198 Mb of RAM,
    combined, but I don't know anything else about them.

    Budd
    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Budd Cochran

    ICee Guest

    Budd Cochran wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> It sounds like you have a different type of DIMM, since SIMMs have a
    >> different pin count than DIMMs. It may be the "new" modules use a
    >> higher density memory chip than the motherboard can address properly.
    >> If you could give a clue as to the motherboard make and model, it
    >> would be easier to give a more definitive answer. If you don't
    >> know, or it's not on the motherboard, you can use a program to
    >> identify the make and model of the MB. Use Aida32, which can be
    >> downloaded here: http://www.aida32.hu/aida32-download.php
    >> When run, this will give info on everything in the computer. Use the
    >> "Personal System Information" version, since it's smaller to
    >> download, and post back with the motherboard make and model.
    >>

    > Now that is a good program. Downloaded, unzipped, and ran it, no
    > sweat, no strain.
    >
    > Ok, here's the info plus a few other items that might help:

    [snip]

    > The current onboard RAM is a Kingston KGM100X64C3/64 SDRAM @ 100Mhz.
    >
    > The memory cards I have are Samsung SEC KMM366S823ATL-G0 units. I
    > tried them in the Gateway my son has they appear to have about 198 Mb
    > of RAM, combined, but I don't know anything else about them.
    >
    > Budd

    That's exactly the info needed. The memory module (Kingston) your
    system uses is a 168 pin DIMM with 64 MB of PC100 (FSB 100 MHz) SDRAM
    memory.
    The other memory (Sansung) is also a 168 pin DIMM, 64 MB SDRAM module,
    *except* that it's PC66 (66 MHz FSB) memory. The reason it won't work
    in your system is because it's too "slow". It can only handle a 66 MHz
    FSB, while your FSB speed is 100 MHz. That's why it wouldn't work.
    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  12. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > > The current onboard RAM is a Kingston KGM100X64C3/64 SDRAM @ 100Mhz.
    > >
    > > The memory cards I have are Samsung SEC KMM366S823ATL-G0 units. I
    > > tried them in the Gateway my son has they appear to have about 198 Mb
    > > of RAM, combined, but I don't know anything else about them.
    > >
    > > Budd

    > That's exactly the info needed. The memory module (Kingston) your
    > system uses is a 168 pin DIMM with 64 MB of PC100 (FSB 100 MHz) SDRAM
    > memory.
    > The other memory (Sansung) is also a 168 pin DIMM, 64 MB SDRAM module,
    > *except* that it's PC66 (66 MHz FSB) memory. The reason it won't work
    > in your system is because it's too "slow". It can only handle a 66 MHz
    > FSB, while your FSB speed is 100 MHz. That's why it wouldn't work.

    "AHA!" said the blind man as he walked into the wall.

    Ok, so I have to get some new memory . . . . darn. What's the old saying, "
    The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."?

    I guess I'll see if I can pawn these unusable boards to someone who wants to
    upgrade and get the right ones.

    I truly appreciate the help you've given. You've more than made up for the
    "help" I got from JabberSmith.

    Thanks again.

    Budd
    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Budd Cochran

    ICee Guest

    Budd Cochran wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The current onboard RAM is a Kingston KGM100X64C3/64 SDRAM @ 100Mhz.
    >>>
    >>> The memory cards I have are Samsung SEC KMM366S823ATL-G0 units. I
    >>> tried them in the Gateway my son has they appear to have about 198
    >>> Mb of RAM, combined, but I don't know anything else about them.
    >>>
    >>> Budd

    >> That's exactly the info needed. The memory module (Kingston) your
    >> system uses is a 168 pin DIMM with 64 MB of PC100 (FSB 100 MHz) SDRAM
    >> memory.
    >> The other memory (Sansung) is also a 168 pin DIMM, 64 MB SDRAM
    >> module, *except* that it's PC66 (66 MHz FSB) memory. The reason it
    >> won't work in your system is because it's too "slow". It can only
    >> handle a 66 MHz FSB, while your FSB speed is 100 MHz. That's why it
    >> wouldn't work.
    >>

    > "AHA!" said the blind man as he walked into the wall.
    >
    > Ok, so I have to get some new memory . . . . darn. What's the old
    > saying, " The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."?
    >
    > I guess I'll see if I can pawn these unusable boards to someone who
    > wants to upgrade and get the right ones.
    >
    > I truly appreciate the help you've given. You've more than made up
    > for the "help" I got from JabberSmith.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Budd

    You're more than welcome. Glad I could help decipher what you have. :)
    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  14. Budd Cochran

    Morn Guest

    You are constrained to the type of memory your motherboard uses. You cannot
    put a square peg in a round hole. EDO RAM or SIMM's is a backward step. Your
    board probably only uses 184-pin SDR SDRAM DIMM not 80-pin EDO SIMMs which
    are fitted in pairs. Neither will your board accept 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs.
    The good news is that 128MB or 256MB SDRAM can be obtained from PC World
    "White Box" section or Maplin Eletronics quite cheaply.

    Don't expect too much though, as you have a Reliant Robin, and it cannot be
    turned into a Ferrarri.

    AMD Athlon Rules OK.

    Morn, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    Thanks anyway, but the question has already been answered . . . without the
    brand bigotry.

    Budd

    Budd Cochran, Feb 24, 2004
  16. Budd Cochran wrote:

    > Thanks anyway, but the question has already been answered . . . without the
    > brand bigotry.

    This, over "Athlon Rules"? Christ, does "I Dig Chevvies" piss you off,
    too?

    Budd, I'm glad you got your memory sorted out, but you've really got to
    get a thicker skin if you're going to do Usenet. You haven't even been
    *close* to being flamed, regardless of what you think Jabberwhatever did
    to you, that got you all oversensitized.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2004
  17. Budd Cochran

    Budd Cochran Guest

    I'm sorry, did I ask your opinion? I didn't think so.

    FYI, I've been on the 'Net since 96 and let's just say it wasn't the best
    thing to say to someone looking for help with a problem. After all, if you
    took your car in to an independent shop have the brakes fixed, would you
    like to be told, rather insensitively, that another brand was the best?

    I didn't come in here to flame or be flamed. As a fact, I was told I would
    get good advice in this group, but I had to watch out for those needing to
    sooth their egos with flames directed toward others.

    Me, I came here to get help, which brings up the question, just what in your
    post had anything to do with solving my problem and how did it help me with
    the problem?

    The next question, of course, is does _your_ ego feel better since you
    simply _had_ to respond to my answer to what's-his-face? If it does, good,
    go enjoy it while it lasts. Or you can perform aerial copulation upon a
    gravitationally motivated, toroidal pastry. I don't care.

    I don't plan to be a regular in this group, in fact, as soon as I have read
    the last, three day old response, I will be leaving.

    Budd

    Budd Cochran, Feb 25, 2004
  18. Blinky the Shark, Feb 25, 2004
  19. Budd Cochran

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:36:57 GMT, "Budd Cochran"
    <> scribbled:

    >I'm sorry, did I ask your opinion? I didn't think so.

    Did you post to a public newsgroup?

    >FYI, I've been on the 'Net since 96 and let's just say it wasn't the best

    WOW! That's a LONG, LONG time!

    How's "**** you and your problem" sound?

    >took your car in to an independent shop have the brakes fixed, would you
    >like to be told, rather insensitively, that another brand was the best?

    Did you cry? Do you need a hankie?

    >I didn't come in here to flame or be flamed. As a fact, I was told I would
    >get good advice in this group, but I had to watch out for those needing to
    >sooth their egos with flames directed toward others.

    Brag to us about how long you've been on the net for again!

    >Me, I came here to get help, which brings up the question, just what in your
    >post had anything to do with solving my problem and how did it help me with
    >the problem?

    Right about now I'm betting no one really gives a **** what
    you wanted, newbie.

    >The next question, of course, is does _your_ ego feel better since you
    >simply _had_ to respond to my answer to what's-his-face? If it does, good,
    >go enjoy it while it lasts. Or you can perform aerial copulation upon a
    >gravitationally motivated, toroidal pastry. I don't care.

    If you didn't care you wouldn't waste the time crying at him.

    >I don't plan to be a regular in this group, in fact, as soon as I have read
    >the last, three day old response, I will be leaving.

    Buh-bye!

    >"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Budd Cochran wrote:
    >>
    >> > Thanks anyway, but the question has already been answered . . . without

    >the
    >> > brand bigotry.

    >> This, over "Athlon Rules"? Christ, does "I Dig Chevvies" piss you off,
    >> too?
    >>
    >> Budd, I'm glad you got your memory sorted out, but you've really got to
    >> get a thicker skin if you're going to do Usenet. You haven't even been
    >> *close* to being flamed, regardless of what you think Jabberwhatever did
    >> to you, that got you all oversensitized.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    >> http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org
    >> http://blinkynet.net