    Thank you very much in advance!

    Cheers!
    - Rajesh

    Rajesh Shenoy, Oct 28, 2009

  2. "Rajesh Shenoy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed and activated on my laptop. I
    >had installed it using the full-version retail license product key. I have
    >several applications installed as well, and everything is working fine.
    >
    > My laptop OEM is now shipping me the free upgrade medium which is Windows
    > 7 Home Premium 64-bit. (Not sure if it's the upgrade medium or full,
    > thought upgrade seems more likely.)
    >
    > Which would be the easiest way for me to "swap out" the Ultimate product
    > key, so that I can use it to install Windows 7 on my desktop? (I do not
    > use any Ultimate features, so I can live with the Home Premium on my
    > laptop.)
    >
    > Please note that re-installing all my applications is something I'd like
    > to avoid. Also, I have the original Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM
    > setup disk and key with me, just in case it's needed.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance!
    >
    > Cheers!
    > - Rajesh

    Windows 7 is unlike Vista where you had all versions on one disk and the key
    determined what version was installed on your computer.

    With Windows 7 each Windows version has it's own disk. If you change numbers
    it must be a number for an equivalent version. You can not go from one
    version to another with a number change. You also can not downgrade to a
    different version.

    So, you are faced with a clean install of Home Premium on your laptop so
    that you can free up Ultimate for use on your desktop. You "may" have to
    activate Ultimate by phone when it is installed on the desktop computer.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Oct 28, 2009

  3. "Rajesh Shenoy" <> wrote in message
    >I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed and activated on my laptop. I
    >had installed it using the full-version retail license product key. I have
    >several applications installed as well, and everything is working fine.
    >
    > My laptop OEM is now shipping me the free upgrade medium which is Windows
    > 7 Home Premium 64-bit. (Not sure if it's the upgrade medium or full,
    > thought upgrade seems more likely.)
    >
    > Which would be the easiest way for me to "swap out" the Ultimate product
    > key, so that I can use it to install Windows 7 on my desktop? (I do not
    > use any Ultimate features, so I can live with the Home Premium on my
    > laptop.)
    >
    > Please note that re-installing all my applications is something I'd like
    > to avoid. Also, I have the original Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM
    > setup disk and key with me, just in case it's needed.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance!
    >
    > Cheers!
    > - Rajesh

    You cannot do any sort of swap-out using the product keys, as Richard points
    out.

    Even with Vista the Product Key entered at the "Change Product Key" link
    needs to be for the same edition already installed. It is the method for
    transferring licenses between machines when the editions are the same or for
    entering a PK after a trial period (as long as the correct edition was
    selected at installation). However, the Windows edition itself cannot be
    changed merely by entering the product key for a different edition. This
    requires an upgrade or clean install in order to change editions.

    In your situation, the upgrade option is not available because of the loss
    of functionalities in going from Ultimate to a home edition. Even with
    earlier versions of Windows that was true; for example, upgrading in place
    from XP Pro to Home was not supported, requiring a clean install.

    A clean install is required and you will need to reinstall software. If you
    were going the other way, from a home edition to Ultimate, then an upgrade
    in place would work and you would not have to reinstall software.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 28, 2009
  4. Thanks Richard and Colin for your clear answers. That pretty much answers my
    question. I guess I'm looking down at a long weekend doing clean install +
    re-install of all apps :( But hey, no pain ... no gain...right?!

    Thanks, again! :)

    Cheers!
    - Rajesh

    Rajesh Shenoy, Oct 29, 2009