    information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    this?

    Cheers
    ChickenMan, Jun 7, 2006

  2. ChickenMan

    SteveM Guest

    "ChickenMan" <> wrote in
    news:44869751$:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    > version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's
    > OEM (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change
    > the code so it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can
    > find have information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM...
    > anyone done this?
    >
    > Cheers

    You can't.

    The fastest way is to do a repair install with the new OEM media
    over the existing dodgy installation.

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jun 7, 2006

  3. ChickenMan

    ChickenMan Guest

    what will that do exactly? will i have to reinstall all the apps etc? data
    loss?

    ChickenMan, Jun 7, 2006
  4. ChickenMan

    SteveM Guest

    "ChickenMan" <> wrote in

    > what will that do exactly? will i have to reinstall all the apps etc?
    > data loss?
    >

    > "SteveM" <> wrote in message
    >> "ChickenMan" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hey,
    >>>
    >>> I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a
    >>> dodgy version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version -
    >>> but it's OEM (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do
    >>> I change the code so it's this one without reinstalling? All the
    >>> sites I can find have information for changing the VLK but not from
    >>> VLK to OEM... anyone done this?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> You can't.
    >>
    >> The fastest way is to do a repair install with the new OEM media
    >> over the existing dodgy installation.
    >>
    >> SteveM

    You should not lose any data or have to reinstall existing applications.
    you will need to reapply service packs etc depending on the revision of
    your OEM media.
    Sometimes things break, I had a problem with Outlook once - reinstall of
    office fixed it, but this process is heaps faster than a complete reload.
    I've done 40-50 repair installs with 5 of those for the same reason you
    are doing one. Only one or two installs had minor problems.

    Just remember to backup any important data.....

    SteveM
    SteveM, Jun 7, 2006
  5. ChickenMan

    ChickenMan Guest

    Cool.

    Thanks heaps for your help.

    ChickenMan, Jun 7, 2006
  6. ChickenMan

    thingy Guest

    ChickenMan wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    > version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's OEM
    > (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change the code so
    > it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can find have
    > information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    > this?
    >
    > Cheers

    What hardware did you have to buy?

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 7, 2006
  7. ChickenMan

    ChickenMan Guest

    I was told a retail packaged mouse would do the trick.

    ChickenMan, Jun 7, 2006
  8. ChickenMan

    thingy Guest

    ChickenMan wrote:
    > I was told a retail packaged mouse would do the trick.
    >

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ChickenMan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey,
    >>>
    >>>I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    >>>version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's OEM
    >>>(bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change the code
    >>>so it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can find have
    >>>information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    >>>this?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers

    >>What hardware did you have to buy?
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    lol....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 8, 2006
  9. ChickenMan

    ChickenMan Guest

    What's the minimum requirement?

    ChickenMan, Jun 8, 2006
  10. ChickenMan

    thingy Guest

    ChickenMan wrote:
    > What's the minimum requirement?

    I have no idea.....but to me a mouse is not a substantial part of a PC
    to get a OEM licence with, but whatever.....if it works.....

    I want XP Pro as well.....have to for the newer games....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jun 8, 2006
  11. ChickenMan

    Guest

    The following keys are for Windows XP Professional SP2 Volume License
    Edition. THEY ARE STILL VALID AND CAN PASS WGA !!

    Valid VLK:

    MRX3F-47B9T-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    QC986-27D34-6M3TY-JJXP9-TBGMD
    CM3HY-26VYW-6JRYC-X66GX-JVY2D
    DP7CM-PD6MC-6BKXT-M8JJ6-RPXGJ
    F4297-RCWJP-P482C-YY23Y-XH8W3
    HH7VV-6P3G9-82TWK-QKJJ3-MXR96
    HCQ9D-TVCWX-X9QRG-J4B2Y-GR2TT

    thingy wrote:
    > ChickenMan wrote:
    > > What's the minimum requirement?

    > I have no idea.....but to me a mouse is not a substantial part of a PC
    > to get a OEM licence with, but whatever.....if it works.....
    >
    > I want XP Pro as well.....have to for the newer games....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    , Jun 8, 2006
  12. ChickenMan

    Peter Nield Guest

    "ChickenMan" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    > version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's OEM
    > (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change the code

    so
    > it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can find have
    > information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    > this?
    >
    > Cheers

    One method - a repair installation may work:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpoemchgkey.txt

    I would ensure that the you are installed the same service pack level e.g.
    if the machine is XP SP2, make sure you are repairing using an OEM XP SP2
    CD.

    Also, a backup would be prudent...
    Peter Nield, Jun 8, 2006
  13. ChickenMan

    Troy Guest

    ChickenMan wrote:

    > Hey,
    >
    > I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    > version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's OEM
    > (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change the code
    > so it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can find have
    > information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    > this?
    >
    > Cheers

    http://www.magicaljellybean.com Software that lets you retrieve and change
    the key - ENjoy!
    Troy, Jun 9, 2006
  14. ChickenMan

    Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:24:26 +1200, Troy <tmcneill@remove_me.free.net.nz> wrote:

    >ChickenMan wrote:
    >
    >> Hey,
    >>
    >> I've got a customer that's called me in as they have a PC with a dodgy
    >> version of XP Pro. So hooked them up with a legit version - but it's OEM
    >> (bought the required hardware to make it legit), how do I change the code
    >> so it's this one without reinstalling? All the sites I can find have
    >> information for changing the VLK but not from VLK to OEM... anyone done
    >> this?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    >http://www.magicaljellybean.com Software that lets you retrieve and change
    >the key - ENjoy!

    Doesn't work if you put an OEM key into a Retail or Volume install.
    Invisible, Jun 10, 2006