    the scheme for other users.

    How do I do this?

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Ray Greene

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
    >while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
    >the scheme for other users.
    >
    >How do I do this?
    >
    >Ray Greene.

    How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?

    Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
    thereabouts.

    Mr Bond, Dec 7, 2004

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:56:39 +1300, Mr Bond <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
    >>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
    >>the scheme for other users.
    >>
    >>How do I do this?
    >>
    >>Ray Greene.

    >How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?
    >
    >Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
    >thereabouts.

    I did think of that, but I thought that there must be a better way. It seems
    like a messy way to change a user's settings.

    By the way, the machine is actually running Win 2000, not XP.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
    >while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
    >the scheme for other users.

    I made a mistake there, it's running Windows 2000, not XP.

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Dec 7, 2004
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    OK, I found an answer on Google by an MS tech. It can be done by changing the
    default user settings, or by modifying the registry as detailed below.
    I think MS could have made this a bit easier...

    Ray Greene.
    Modify the security on the registry key which will then allow normal users
    to modify the power scheme:

    REGEDT32,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    Folder\PowerCfg then Security | Permissions, give Authenticated Users Full
    Control.

    Ray Greene, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Ray Greene

    John Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
    >while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
    >the scheme for other users.
    >
    >How do I do this?

    Give the users rights to do so themselves....

    John, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:15:24 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:28:20 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>I've just discovered that I can't save any changes to power schemes in XP Pro
    >>while logged on as a user. Changing schemes as administrator doesn't change
    >>the scheme for other users.
    >>
    >>How do I do this?
    >>

    >Give the users rights to do so themselves....

    Where exactly do you do this?

    Ray Greene.

    Ray Greene, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Ray Greene

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > OK, I found an answer on Google by an MS tech. It can be done by changing

    the
    > default user settings, or by modifying the registry as detailed below.
    > I think MS could have made this a bit easier...
    >
    > Ray Greene.
    > Modify the security on the registry key which will then allow normal users
    > to modify the power scheme:
    >
    > REGEDT32,
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    > Folder\PowerCfg then Security | Permissions, give Authenticated Users Full
    > Control.

    You should be able to put that into a logon (or GPO) script.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

    Mr Scebe, Dec 7, 2004
  9. Ray Greene wrote:
    >>How about giving the user administrator rights temporarily?
    >>Control panel/users and passwords/User properties/group membership or
    >>thereabouts.

    > I did think of that, but I thought that there must be a better way. It seems
    > like a messy way to change a user's settings.

    I use the same method to install Palm Pilot software... the good thing
    about it is that once they set it, the don't have the ability to change
    the settings :)

    > By the way, the machine is actually running Win 2000, not XP.

    basically the same method... just less pretty colours. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 7, 2004