Changing Ports for Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by William T. Trotter, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. This post is not specific to Windows XP 64 bit ...
    but both machines involved are running this os.
    Please read on.

    1. At work, I have a Windows box which I am
    trying to acces remotely. For a complicated
    set of reasons, the only port I can use is 1025.

    2. I know how to edit the registry to change
    from the standard port (3389) to another port,
    and I know how to use a Remote Desktop client
    to access a machine which has been configured
    to use another port.

    3. BUT, Windows apparently reserves port 1025
    for another process and won't allow it to be used
    for Remote Desktop.

    4. So can anybody tell me which process uses port
    1025 and whether it is possible to edit the registry
    twice, once to switch the second process to use another
    port and then again to switch Remote Desktop
    to port 1025.

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    Tom Trotter
    William T. Trotter, Oct 30, 2005

  2. It seems to be used by a number of processes one specific is logging on to
    Active Directory.
    http://www.google.com.jm/search?hl=en&q=Windows XP - port 1025

    Doesn't answer your question directly but it just seems like a free
    miscellaneous port.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 30, 2005