    Is there any shareware that would enable me to make the one change I
    need (or even expand my C: to 20Gb - there is nothing much in D:)?

    XP, PIII, 384Mb RAM;

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I have a 40Gb HDD, partitioned C: 10Gb and D: 30Gb.
    >
    > The 10Gb is too small for the boot drive - it is filling up with XP
    > backup stuff and there isn't room now to install the whole of Works
    > Suite.
    >
    > I would like to revert to one partition - before I install a much bigger
    > disk after my hols. But PartitionMagic costs as much as an 80Gb disk.
    > Is there any shareware that would enable me to make the one change I
    > need (or even expand my C: to 20Gb - there is nothing much in D:)?
    >
    > XP, PIII, 384Mb RAM;

    Older versions of Partition Magic (that won't work with XP NTFS
    partitions) are around on magazine disks. Worth looking out for.

    with XP, the new drive can be given new drive letter(s) leaving the
    current D: drive correctly labelled. With Partition Magic you could just
    resize it and give the space recovered to C:

    You should be able to install Works on the D: drive instead of the C:,
    anyway.

    If your new drive is faster, it will be better to move the whole of C:
    to it and use it as the boot disk. Thus obviating the need to resize the
    existing drive!

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004

  3. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 40Gb HDD, partitioned C: 10Gb and D: 30Gb.
    > >
    > > The 10Gb is too small for the boot drive - it is filling up with XP
    > > backup stuff and there isn't room now to install the whole of Works
    > > Suite.
    > >
    > > I would like to revert to one partition - before I install a much

    bigger
    > > disk after my hols. But PartitionMagic costs as much as an 80Gb

    disk.
    > > Is there any shareware that would enable me to make the one change I
    > > need (or even expand my C: to 20Gb - there is nothing much in D:)?
    > >
    > > XP, PIII, 384Mb RAM;
    > >

    > Older versions of Partition Magic (that won't work with XP NTFS
    > partitions) are around on magazine disks. Worth looking out for.
    >
    > with XP, the new drive can be given new drive letter(s) leaving the
    > current D: drive correctly labelled. With Partition Magic you could

    just
    > resize it and give the space recovered to C:
    >
    > You should be able to install Works on the D: drive instead of the C:,
    > anyway.
    >
    > If your new drive is faster, it will be better to move the whole of C:
    > to it and use it as the boot disk. Thus obviating the need to resize

    the
    > existing drive!

    I've found I have a magazine disk with PartitionMagic 5.0 - would that
    do it?

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a 40Gb HDD, partitioned C: 10Gb and D: 30Gb.
    >>>
    >>>The 10Gb is too small for the boot drive - it is filling up with XP
    >>>backup stuff and there isn't room now to install the whole of Works
    >>>Suite.
    >>>
    >>>I would like to revert to one partition - before I install a much

    > bigger
    >
    >>>disk after my hols. But PartitionMagic costs as much as an 80Gb

    > disk.
    >
    >>>Is there any shareware that would enable me to make the one change I
    >>>need (or even expand my C: to 20Gb - there is nothing much in D:)?
    >>>
    >>>XP, PIII, 384Mb RAM;
    >>>

    >>Older versions of Partition Magic (that won't work with XP NTFS
    >>partitions) are around on magazine disks. Worth looking out for.
    >>
    >>with XP, the new drive can be given new drive letter(s) leaving the
    >>current D: drive correctly labelled. With Partition Magic you could

    > just
    >
    >>resize it and give the space recovered to C:
    >>
    >>You should be able to install Works on the D: drive instead of the C:,
    >>anyway.
    >>
    >>If your new drive is faster, it will be better to move the whole of C:
    >>to it and use it as the boot disk. Thus obviating the need to resize

    > the
    >
    >>existing drive!
    >>

    > I've found I have a magazine disk with PartitionMagic 5.0 - would that
    > do it?

    You may have to fudge it by creating a bootable floppy and using the DOS
    programs rather than the windows one. If you have XP NTFS partitions,
    then I don't think it will work.

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004
  5. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    > > bigger

    > > disk.

    > >>Older versions of Partition Magic (that won't work with XP NTFS
    > >>partitions) are around on magazine disks. Worth looking out for.
    > >>
    > >>with XP, the new drive can be given new drive letter(s) leaving the
    > >>current D: drive correctly labelled. With Partition Magic you could

    > > just
    > >
    > >>resize it and give the space recovered to C:
    > >>
    > >>You should be able to install Works on the D: drive instead of the

    C:,
    > >>anyway.
    > >>
    > >>If your new drive is faster, it will be better to move the whole of

    C:
    > >>to it and use it as the boot disk. Thus obviating the need to resize

    > > the
    > >
    > >>existing drive!
    > >>

    > > I've found I have a magazine disk with PartitionMagic 5.0 - would

    that
    > > do it?
    > >

    > You may have to fudge it by creating a bootable floppy and using the

    DOS
    > programs rather than the windows one. If you have XP NTFS

    partitions,
    > then I don't think it will work.

    I'm still on FAT32 - I'll try it gingerly

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  6. "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    XP

    Works

    > > > bigger

    > > > disk.

    change

    D:)?

    the

    could

    > > > just

    > C:,

    of
    > C:

    resize

    > > > the

    > > > I've found I have a magazine disk with PartitionMagic 5.0 - would

    > that
    > > > do it?
    > > >

    > > You may have to fudge it by creating a bootable floppy and using the

    > DOS
    > > programs rather than the windows one. If you have XP NTFS

    > partitions,
    > > then I don't think it will work.

    > I'm still on FAT32 - I'll try it gingerly

    In DOS I have now resized D: from 27Gb to 17Gb but PM5.0 won't let me
    increase C: because it is over the 1024 cylinder.

    I have now found a copy of PartitionExpert but I am awaiting a code to
    run that.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004

  7. > > > >

    with
    > XP

    > Works

    much

    > In DOS I have now resized D: from 27Gb to 17Gb but PM5.0 won't let me
    > increase C: because it is over the 1024 cylinder.
    >
    > I have now found a copy of PartitionExpert but I am awaiting a code to
    > run that.

    Still in PartitionMAgic 5.0 I have moved the smaller D: to the end of
    the drive and have unallocated space next to C: - but it won't increase
    C:.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  8. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > with
    >
    >>XP

    >>Works

    > much

    >>In DOS I have now resized D: from 27Gb to 17Gb but PM5.0 won't let me
    >>increase C: because it is over the 1024 cylinder.
    >>
    >>I have now found a copy of PartitionExpert but I am awaiting a code to
    >>run that.
    >>

    > Still in PartitionMAgic 5.0 I have moved the smaller D: to the end of
    > the drive and have unallocated space next to C: - but it won't increase
    > C:.

    Just wondering if you can do that within XP now, using the disk
    management tool?

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004
  9. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Palindrome wrote:

    >> with
    >>
    >>> XP

    >>> Works

    >> much

    >>> In DOS I have now resized D: from 27Gb to 17Gb but PM5.0 won't let me
    >>> increase C: because it is over the 1024 cylinder.
    >>>
    >>> I have now found a copy of PartitionExpert but I am awaiting a code to
    >>> run that.
    >>>

    >> Still in PartitionMAgic 5.0 I have moved the smaller D: to the end of
    >> the drive and have unallocated space next to C: - but it won't increase
    >> C:.
    >>

    > Just wondering if you can do that within XP now, using the disk
    > management tool?

    Nope, sorry, red herring. It has to be NTFS and can't be the system or
    boot partition.

    Parted should do it. You can create a bootable floppy version from:

    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/partboot.img

    See:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC7

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004
  10. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Palindrome wrote:

    > >> with

    > >> much

    me

    code to

    > >> Still in PartitionMAgic 5.0 I have moved the smaller D: to the end

    of
    > >> the drive and have unallocated space next to C: - but it won't

    increase
    > >> C:.
    > >>

    > > Just wondering if you can do that within XP now, using the disk
    > > management tool?

    > Nope, sorry, red herring. It has to be NTFS and can't be the system or
    > boot partition.
    >
    > Parted should do it. You can create a bootable floppy version from:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/partboot.img
    >
    > See:
    >
    > http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC7

    Thanks for the help - but that is too hard for me!

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Palindrome wrote:

    > me

    > code to

    > of

    > increase

    >>>Just wondering if you can do that within XP now, using the disk
    >>>management tool?

    >>Nope, sorry, red herring. It has to be NTFS and can't be the system or
    >>boot partition.
    >>
    >>Parted should do it. You can create a bootable floppy version from:
    >>
    >>ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/partboot.img
    >>
    >>See:
    >>
    >>http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC7

    > Thanks for the help - but that is too hard for me!

    Which bit?

    You download the parted image file and download rawrite.exe
    You then use rawrite to write the image file onto a blank floppy
    You then boot off the floppy
    You then use parted print to get the current layout
    Then parted resize 1 from the start of the partition (shown in print,
    above) to the start of the next partition (also shown in print)

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004
  12. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    of

    let

    > > me

    > > code to

    > > of

    > > increase

    > >>Nope, sorry, red herring. It has to be NTFS and can't be the system

    or
    > >>boot partition.
    > >>
    > >>Parted should do it. You can create a bootable floppy version from:
    > >>
    > >>ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parted/bootdisk/partboot.img
    > >>
    > >>See:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_mono/parted.html#SEC7

    > > Thanks for the help - but that is too hard for me!
    > >

    > Which bit?
    >
    > You download the parted image file and download rawrite.exe
    > You then use rawrite to write the image file onto a blank floppy
    > You then boot off the floppy
    > You then use parted print to get the current layout
    > Then parted resize 1 from the start of the partition (shown in print,
    > above) to the start of the next partition (also shown in print)

    OK - I'll try this. I have the .img file downloaded. Where do I get
    rawrite.exe?

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    > of

    > let
    >
    >>>me

    >>>code to

    >>>of

    >>>increase

    > or

    >>>Thanks for the help - but that is too hard for me!
    >>>

    >>Which bit?
    >>
    >>You download the parted image file and download rawrite.exe
    >>You then use rawrite to write the image file onto a blank floppy
    >>You then boot off the floppy
    >>You then use parted print to get the current layout
    >>Then parted resize 1 from the start of the partition (shown in print,
    >>above) to the start of the next partition (also shown in print)
    >>

    > OK - I'll try this. I have the .img file downloaded. Where do I get
    > rawrite.exe?

    Missed the wubble u wubble u. Should be rawwrite! Get it here, amongst many:
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004
  14. Geoff Pearson

    Plato Guest

    Palindrome wrote:

    > You should be able to install Works on the D: drive instead of the C:,
    > anyway.

    Probably, but you know MS, Works will still put about a jillion .dlls in
    the windows folder.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 10, 2004
  15. "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >
    > > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    up

    > > of

    > > let

    end

    system

    > > or

    from:

    > >>Which bit?
    > >>
    > >>You download the parted image file and download rawrite.exe
    > >>You then use rawrite to write the image file onto a blank floppy
    > >>You then boot off the floppy
    > >>You then use parted print to get the current layout
    > >>Then parted resize 1 from the start of the partition (shown in

    print,
    > >>above) to the start of the next partition (also shown in print)
    > >>

    > > OK - I'll try this. I have the .img file downloaded. Where do I

    get
    > > rawrite.exe?
    > >

    > Missed the wubble u wubble u. Should be rawwrite! Get it here, amongst

    many:
    > http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

    Palindrome

    many thanks for your help. I did download RAwrite and all that but I
    seemed to need another disk - which I couldn't see. However, I then did
    a Google on the error message - which many people seem to get with PM.
    I ran scandisk and then PM ran fine - but has taken two hours to shift
    the 10Gb. Now I have a 20Gb C: drive and 17Gb D: -a nd everything
    seems to work fine.

    Geoff

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 10, 2004
  16. Geoff Pearson

    Palindrome Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > "Palindrome" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Palindrome" <> wrote in message

    > up

    >>>of

    >>>let

    > end

    > system
    >
    >>>or

    > from:

    > print,

    >>>OK - I'll try this. I have the .img file downloaded. Where do I

    > get
    >
    >>>rawrite.exe?
    >>>

    >>Missed the wubble u wubble u. Should be rawwrite! Get it here, amongst

    > many:
    >
    >>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm
    >>

    > Palindrome
    >
    > many thanks for your help. I did download RAwrite and all that but I
    > seemed to need another disk - which I couldn't see. However, I then did
    > a Google on the error message - which many people seem to get with PM.
    > I ran scandisk and then PM ran fine - but has taken two hours to shift
    > the 10Gb. Now I have a 20Gb C: drive and 17Gb D: -a nd everything
    > seems to work fine.
    >
    > Geoff

    Glad you got it sorted.

    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004