    already have sata drivers installed on my old motherboard. My question is
    will I lose my data on these drives when I change the motherboard out. These
    motherboard have different chipsets.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=, Jul 19, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Usually not. You don't say if you are using RAID. I know with SATA and
    motherboards, sometimes you will get a format not recognized in disk
    management, if you can get booted, and may get it resolved by plugging into
    different SATA connectors on the MOBO. I have had it come back to
    recognised on several occasions even plugging into the same connector.
    Seems to be much more touchy that way than IDE.

    John Barnes, Jul 19, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    I've seen SATA drives behave as if there was no data on them just by
    switching SATA channels on the mainboard. Don't know if I was doing
    anything wrong or what. I'd expect to be leery, at least. Do a backup to a
    USB2 or Firewire external HDD to be safe and sure...

    M. Murcek, Jul 19, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I have had the problem with that also. I have an external IDE that connects
    with either 1394 or USB and have had the identical problem.

    John Barnes, Jul 19, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Yeah, I'm too busy just keeping up with work to do any reading about why
    SATA behaves differently from PATA in this regard. I've never seen the data
    loss thing happen with a PATA drive ever. I routinely use WD's
    DataLifeguard and Maxtor's MaxBlast products to move a partition from a
    smaller boot drive to a bigger new drive, take the small drive out, move the
    big one to ATA channel 0 and reboot. It would truly suck to be unable in
    the future to do that. I wonder if the SATA channel that initializes the
    drive somehow "brands" the MBR or something, but that's strictly a guess on
    my part. I rely on moving data around in external USB2 and Firewire drives,
    so I guess I better hoard some big PATA disks to keep those Ultra enclosures
    running...

    M. Murcek, Jul 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I have had some problems with PATA also, but not operating them after
    moving. I had several drives that when switched from one computer to
    another or from a motherboard to a PCI card had a partition problem that
    caused backup programs to reject them for copying or drive imaging.

    John Barnes, Jul 19, 2005
  7. I'm using Raid 0 array. I will just backup my data and see what happens. I
    thank everyone for helping.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=, Jul 19, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsZW4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You will need to get the Nvidia RAID drivers (2) into Windows. Right now
    you have the VIA drivers.

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005