    Matt Smith Guest

    I have an old Compaq laptop PII with NT4 on it, I want to put Win98se on it & get rid of NT, its a cheap way for a newbie to learn computer use.
    But it seems to need Admin rights & we have no password for it, anyone know how I can accomplish this?

    Matt Smith, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Matt Smith

    Barg Guest

    Matt Smith wrote:

    > I have an old Compaq laptop PII with NT4 on it, I want to put Win98se on
    > it & get rid of NT, its a cheap way for a newbie to learn computer use.
    > But it seems to need Admin rights & we have no password for it, anyone
    > know how I can accomplish this?

    If you don't want NT just reformat the drive.

    Barg, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Matt Smith

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:13:30 +1300, Barg wrote:

    > Matt Smith wrote:
    >
    >> I have an old Compaq laptop PII with NT4 on it, I want to put Win98se on
    >> it & get rid of NT, its a cheap way for a newbie to learn computer use.
    >> But it seems to need Admin rights & we have no password for it, anyone
    >> know how I can accomplish this?

    > If you don't want NT just reformat the drive.

    He'll have to reformat in any case - WIN98 cannot read the NT file system
    - it only reads the FAT16 and FAT32 systems.

    Lennier

    --
    Delenn: "Do not look any further. All life is transitory - a dream.
    We all come together in cyber space, in the end of time. If I do not

    Lennier, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Matt Smith

    bambam Guest

    Lennier <> wrote in

    > He'll have to reformat in any case - WIN98 cannot read the NT file
    > system - it only reads the FAT16 and FAT32 systems.

    Just for interest-

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

    --
    Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

    bambam, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Matt Smith

    steve Guest

    Matt Smith allegedly said:

    > I have an old Compaq laptop PII with NT4 on it, I want to put Win98se on
    > it & get rid of NT, its a cheap way for a newbie to learn computer use.
    > But it seems to need Admin rights & we have no password for it, anyone
    > know how I can accomplish this?

    Boot some NT4 or WinXP install disks / CD and re-partition the drive.

    A bootable Linux install CD should also allow you to wipe the disk....

    You can't use NTFS under Win98SE anyway.....far as I know.

    steve, Jan 12, 2004