    reinstall winXP?

    thanks

    feivel
    feivel, Jan 22, 2004

  2. feivel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "feivel" <> wrote in
    news::

    > is that true that if i put in a different motherboard, i will have to
    > reinstall winXP?

    Unless the new board is almost identical (as in, same chipset, etc) to the
    old one, yes, you will more than likely have to reinstall XP, or manually
    change out a /lot/ of devices in device manager, and even then it may not
    work.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 22, 2004

  3. feivel

    feivel Guest

    thank you
    i was afraid of that

    feivel

    feivel, Jan 22, 2004
  4. feivel

    Thor Guest

    XP is quite bitchy about changing motherboards. As demon said, you will more
    than likely have to reinstall unless the replacement is practically
    identical.

    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  5. feivel

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:12:34 -0600, "feivel"
    <> wrote:

    >i got sold a motherboard with 1.5 gig of ram, but it wouldnt function
    >properly because that motherboard wont support that much ram. so i took out
    >i ram module and have been doing fine
    >the computer company now is willing to give me a new motherboard, but they
    >said i will have to clean reinstall winXP after the exchange or it wont work
    >well. i dont want to do it, it took me 30 hours to get everything set up
    >how i like it
    >the question is:
    >is that true that if i put in a different motherboard, i will have to
    >reinstall winXP?

    Maybe.

    You should be able to do a repair install...which should save most of
    your settings. You definitely will be able to save all your data.
    You might want to do a backup before you start, though...you never
    know.

    There's a white paper on the MSFT site about putting the chipset
    drivers for the new mb on the drive first...before you make the
    change. In some cases, the OS will then hunt for and find the new
    hardware. Sorry...don't have the link.

    One common problem with this kind of change over, however, is failure
    to automatically shut down the computer.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 22, 2004
  6. feivel

    mark mandel Guest

    "feivel" <> wrote in message
    > i got sold a motherboard with 1.5 gig of ram, but it wouldnt function
    > properly because that motherboard wont support that much ram. so i took

    out
    > i ram module and have been doing fine
    > the computer company now is willing to give me a new motherboard, but they
    > said i will have to clean reinstall winXP after the exchange or it wont

    work
    > well. i dont want to do it, it took me 30 hours to get everything set up
    > how i like it
    > the question is:
    > is that true that if i put in a different motherboard, i will have to
    > reinstall winXP?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > feivel

    You could restore a backup from a Ghost image file(like the one from
    Symantec's Norton)but you still would have to do a repair/install as I've
    discovered.

    mark mandel, Jan 22, 2004
  7. feivel

    Jerry G. Guest

    Normally XP will have to be re-installed, and re-registered. It takes poll
    on the serial numbers of the firmware, exact system configuration, and
    especially the serial numbers of the CPU.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 22, 2004
  8. feivel

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Normally XP will have to be re-installed, and re-registered. It takes

    poll
    > on the serial numbers of the firmware, exact system configuration, and
    > especially the serial numbers of the CPU.

    It depends on the amount of hardware changed. In many cases, swapping the
    motherboard will not initiate a request for re-activation. The hardware hash
    is generated from a number of the components in the system not merely the
    motherboard. The harddrive, motherboard BIOS, NIC card GUID, and other
    components. It takes changing certain minimum number of components involved
    in the hash to force a reactivation. If you have a motherboard with mostly
    onboard stuff, including the NIC, then it will likely want to reactivate,
    but if your system has mostly discreet cards for sound, video, network, etc.
    and you merely swap the motherboard, it shouldn't be enough to request
    reactivation.
    Thor, Jan 22, 2004
  9. feivel

    mark mandel Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > > Normally XP will have to be re-installed, and re-registered. It takes

    > poll
    > > on the serial numbers of the firmware, exact system configuration, and
    > > especially the serial numbers of the CPU.

    > It depends on the amount of hardware changed. In many cases, swapping the
    > motherboard will not initiate a request for re-activation. The hardware

    hash
    > is generated from a number of the components in the system not merely the
    > motherboard. The harddrive, motherboard BIOS, NIC card GUID, and other
    > components. It takes changing certain minimum number of components

    involved
    > in the hash to force a reactivation. If you have a motherboard with mostly
    > onboard stuff, including the NIC, then it will likely want to reactivate,
    > but if your system has mostly discreet cards for sound, video, network,

    etc.
    > and you merely swap the motherboard, it shouldn't be enough to request
    > reactivation.

    Yes, I read that it's based on a point system with the different components
    assigned different values. And if you tally up enough, then activation(or
    re-activation more precisely)will be required.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jan 22, 2004
  10. feivel

    Night_Seer Guest

    mark mandel wrote:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >>> Normally XP will have to be re-installed, and re-registered. It
    >>> takes poll on the serial numbers of the firmware, exact system
    >>> configuration, and especially the serial numbers of the CPU.

    >> It depends on the amount of hardware changed. In many cases,
    >> swapping the motherboard will not initiate a request for
    >> re-activation. The hardware hash is generated from a number of the
    >> components in the system not merely the motherboard. The harddrive,
    >> motherboard BIOS, NIC card GUID, and other components. It takes
    >> changing certain minimum number of components involved in the hash
    >> to force a reactivation. If you have a motherboard with mostly
    >> onboard stuff, including the NIC, then it will likely want to
    >> reactivate, but if your system has mostly discreet cards for sound,
    >> video, network, etc. and you merely swap the motherboard, it
    >> shouldn't be enough to request reactivation.

    > Yes, I read that it's based on a point system with the different
    > components assigned different values. And if you tally up enough,
    > then activation(or re-activation more precisely)will be required.
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    I believe it was something like 4 or more device changes will trigger
    it. There was a distinction between major devices (MB) and minor ones
    too (Modem)

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 22, 2004
  11. feivel

    Thor Guest

    > mark mandel wrote:
    > > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> It depends on the amount of hardware changed. In many cases,
    > >> swapping the motherboard will not initiate a request for
    > >> re-activation. The hardware hash is generated from a number of the
    > >> components in the system not merely the motherboard. The harddrive,
    > >> motherboard BIOS, NIC card GUID, and other components. It takes
    > >> changing certain minimum number of components involved in the hash
    > >> to force a reactivation. If you have a motherboard with mostly
    > >> onboard stuff, including the NIC, then it will likely want to
    > >> reactivate, but if your system has mostly discreet cards for sound,
    > >> video, network, etc. and you merely swap the motherboard, it
    > >> shouldn't be enough to request reactivation.

    > > Yes, I read that it's based on a point system with the different
    > > components assigned different values. And if you tally up enough,
    > > then activation(or re-activation more precisely)will be required.
    > >
    > > Mark Mandell

    > I believe it was something like 4 or more device changes will trigger
    > it. There was a distinction between major devices (MB) and minor ones
    > too (Modem)

    4 devices if one of the swapped devices is a NIC, and 6 if not, IIRC. The
    NIC gets the most weight in the equasion.
    Thor, Jan 23, 2004
  12. feivel

    V W Wall Guest

    Night_Seer wrote:

    > I believe it was something like 4 or more device changes will trigger
    > it. There was a distinction between major devices (MB) and minor ones
    > too (Modem)

    For a report on the Windows Product Activation, (WPA), see:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

    which explains the "point" system.

    Virg Wall
    --

    Any sufficiently advanced technology
    is indistinguishable from magic.

    Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law
    V W Wall, Jan 23, 2004
  13. feivel

    Plato Guest

    feivel wrote:

    > is that true that if i put in a different motherboard, i will have to
    > reinstall winXP?

    Do a repair install to force XP to find the new hardware.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 23, 2004