Changing Motherboard and processor

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DogPoop, Aug 19, 2007.

  1. DogPoop

    DogPoop Guest

    Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor, and 1g
    ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays way too slow,
    so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram bundle.

    No worries about the swap, but I want to keep the HD (Pretty new, 250G with
    Windows XP Home installed, all up to date and legitimate. Preferably I'd
    like to keep it with all associations intact as far as possible etc.

    Can I simply add-in the HD to the new mobo, or are there some steps to take
    first? I don't really want to re-install XP, though I know I'll have to
    re-activate it. (Already done this when I changed video card, ram and hard
    drive together) so no worries there either.

    Someone said I should go into registry and delete the 'enum' keys. No
    worries about the registry other than I'm not sure this is all I need to do.
    Anyone eny links that might explain the steps I need to take? My MS
    knowledgebase mojo seems to be missing. :)

    Cheers.
    --
    Dogpoop

    Stand by me

    DogPoop, Aug 19, 2007

  2. DogPoop

    old man Guest

    You should do a repair install & in doing so install your new hw drivers
    It is unlikely to boot otherwise as it will still be referencing the old hw

    old man, Aug 19, 2007

  3. DogPoop

    ded Guest

    "DogPoop" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor, and 1g
    > ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays way too slow,
    > so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram bundle.
    >
    > No worries about the swap, but I want to keep the HD (Pretty new, 250G
    > with Windows XP Home installed, all up to date and legitimate. Preferably
    > I'd like to keep it with all associations intact as far as possible etc.
    >
    > Can I simply add-in the HD to the new mobo, or are there some steps to
    > take first? I don't really want to re-install XP, though I know I'll have
    > to re-activate it. (Already done this when I changed video card, ram and
    > hard drive together) so no worries there either.
    >
    > Someone said I should go into registry and delete the 'enum' keys. No
    > worries about the registry other than I'm not sure this is all I need to
    > do. Anyone eny links that might explain the steps I need to take? My MS
    > knowledgebase mojo seems to be missing. :)
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Dogpoop
    >
    > Stand by me

    Well you seem confident and to know what you're doing, but for me that
    would be fresh XP install, but it can be done via a "repair install" from
    the
    XP installation disk.
    First boot will be into BIOS (Hit DEL key) and disable any onboard audio/
    graphics you don't need etc. Then insert XP disk and reboot,
    PC will boot from disk, choose XP setup option, then select Repair Install
    (Repair install guides are all over google, just type: XP repair install)
    This in effect reinstalls XP but without changing any settings or registry,
    it will redetect hardware and "introduce" XP to the new hardware.
    Nothing else changes.
    XP will deactivate as the mobo is the heart and it's a diff PC as far as XP
    is concerned, reactivating is required and you will get that screen.
    You will need your license key and to make that phonecall.

    ded, Aug 19, 2007
  4. DogPoop wrote:
    > Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor, and 1g
    > ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays way too slow,
    > so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram bundle.
    >
    > No worries about the swap, but I want to keep the HD (Pretty new, 250G with
    > Windows XP Home installed, all up to date and legitimate. Preferably I'd
    > like to keep it with all associations intact as far as possible etc.
    >
    > Can I simply add-in the HD to the new mobo, or are there some steps to take
    > first? I don't really want to re-install XP, though I know I'll have to
    > re-activate it. (Already done this when I changed video card, ram and hard
    > drive together) so no worries there either.
    >
    > Someone said I should go into registry and delete the 'enum' keys. No
    > worries about the registry other than I'm not sure this is all I need to do.
    > Anyone eny links that might explain the steps I need to take? My MS
    > knowledgebase mojo seems to be missing. :)

    This has been discussed many times in this group. I'm firmly in the camp
    of "Just do it." I don't know how many times I've done a
    motherboard/chip replacement, or just simply move the XP boot drive to
    another machine, and all the dire problems I see discussed have never
    materialized. There's a bunch of new drivers to install and XP does most
    of that automatically. I usually install the MB drivers and just keep on
    truckin. This is no guarantee your install will be as smooth, but it's
    sure a hell of a lot faster this way.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 20, 2007
  5. DogPoop

    Rectum Burn Guest

    Rôgêr <> said in

    > DogPoop wrote:
    >> Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor,
    >> and 1g ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays
    >> way too slow, so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram
    >> bundle.
    >>
    >> No worries about the swap, but I want to keep the HD (Pretty new,
    >> 250G with Windows XP Home installed, all up to date and legitimate.
    >> Preferably I'd like to keep it with all associations intact as far as
    >> possible etc.
    >>
    >> Can I simply add-in the HD to the new mobo, or are there some steps
    >> to take first? I don't really want to re-install XP, though I know
    >> I'll have to re-activate it. (Already done this when I changed video
    >> card, ram and hard drive together) so no worries there either.
    >>
    >> Someone said I should go into registry and delete the 'enum' keys.
    >> No worries about the registry other than I'm not sure this is all I
    >> need to do. Anyone eny links that might explain the steps I need to
    >> take? My MS knowledgebase mojo seems to be missing. :)

    > This has been discussed many times in this group. I'm firmly in the
    > camp of "Just do it." I don't know how many times I've done a
    > motherboard/chip replacement, or just simply move the XP boot drive to
    > another machine, and all the dire problems I see discussed have never
    > materialized. There's a bunch of new drivers to install and XP does
    > most of that automatically. I usually install the MB drivers and just
    > keep on truckin. This is no guarantee your install will be as smooth,
    > but it's sure a hell of a lot faster this way.

    Here is a hint from Rectum Burrrrrn if you are upgrading to a new MB & CPU.
    If you are currently using a VIA or NVIDIA chipset, if buy an upgrade mB
    with the same brand of chipset, it will find the new MB and load the
    drivers. That's because VIA and NVIDIA use universal drivers across their
    line of products. Otherwise, you have to either reload XP from the desktop
    and then turn the PC off before it reboots before you transfer it to the
    new setup or do a Repair from a CD boot. If you Google this before you do
    this, you'll get [plenty of references on exactly how to do this.

    Rectum Burrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Aug 20, 2007
  6. DogPoop

    DogPoop Guest

    DogPoop <> typed:
    > Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor,
    > and 1g ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays
    > way too slow, so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram
    > bundle.

    Well, did a quick 'n dirty, dive in, take all the old stuff out, put in the
    new stuff, ran a Repair XP and nothing happened. I now have a fully
    functioning, fast as **** computer with all my shit nice and clean and
    healthy. ;)

    Thanks for the links and help, but in the end it was really easy.

    MS XP re-activation took longer than the hardware changes. :)

    --
    Dogpoop

    Stand by me

    DogPoop, Aug 20, 2007
  7. DogPoop

    Plato Guest

    DogPoop wrote:

    > Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor, and 1g
    > ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays way too slow,
    > so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram bundle.

    You will most likely have to do a repair install, so XP can see all the
    new features and install the drivers it needs for the new motherboard.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

    micharlsteventech appears to be down at the moment, but I genrally wait
    a week before tossing out the URL.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 21, 2007
  8. DogPoop

    Dogpoop Guest

    Re: Changing Motherboard and processor ... odd behaviour.

    DogPoop typed:
    > DogPoop <> typed:
    >> Hi, currently running an Asus A7A266, with an Athlon 1.4 processor,
    >> and 1g ram, which has been a great board and processor but nowadays
    >> way too slow, so I'm getting a complete motherboard/Processor/Ram
    >> bundle.

    > Well, did a quick 'n dirty, dive in, take all the old stuff out, put
    > in the new stuff, ran a Repair XP and nothing happened. I now have a
    > fully functioning, fast as **** computer with all my shit nice and
    > clean and healthy. ;)
    >
    > Thanks for the links and help, but in the end it was really easy.
    >
    > MS XP re-activation took longer than the hardware changes. :)

    OK, so everything's not quite allright.

    Two IDE hard drives, (drive1) 40g Maxtor 7200 rpm (old data I needed) and
    (drive2) 250g Hitachi 7200 rpm system disk, both set to CS using an 80 wire
    cable. (1) is on end of cable so should be primary master and (2) is in
    middle of cable so should be primary slave .. or so I thought. (CD burner
    and DVD burner on Secondary primary and slave).

    All appeared to go well, XP Home now loads, all my docs are back in place
    and all works really very well and shit-loads faster than previously.

    (drive2) the 'main' drive with windows installed on it is set as drive F:
    ..... (drive1) is set as drive C: .... I dunno how it did this. New programs
    install correctly, to F:\program files\... and the thing all seems to be
    running OK anyway, which makes me tempted to leave it well alone. (CD and
    DVD set as drives D: and E:)

    Any thoughts? Can I change the drive names around without upsetting the
    setup? Is there a performance 'hit' leaving things alone?

    Dogpoop, Aug 21, 2007