    do I have to wait to be disconnected?

    Thanks
    Aquery
    Aquery, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Aquery wrote:

    > Would I uninstall the current ISP before installing new ISP from
    > a disk? Or do I have to wait to be disconnected?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Aquery

    Why use a disk/CD?
    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Aquery

    Harrison Guest

    It's probably best to uninstall the other one first.
    You can set up your computer to use another ISP manually and save
    yourself some of the baggage some ISP' couple with their disks, but it
    requires a bit of effort and knowledge of which settings to change.

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > It's probably best to uninstall the other one first.
    > You can set up your computer to use another ISP manually and
    > save yourself some of the baggage some ISP' couple with their
    > disks, but it requires a bit of effort and knowledge of which
    > settings to change.

    The ISP should be able to walk the person through the manual setup to
    connect to their service. And many ISP's have all the information on
    their homepages some place.

    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Aquery

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Boomer said:

    > Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> It's probably best to uninstall the other one first.
    >> You can set up your computer to use another ISP manually and
    >> save yourself some of the baggage some ISP' couple with their
    >> disks, but it requires a bit of effort and knowledge of which
    >> settings to change.

    > The ISP should be able to walk the person through the manual setup to
    > connect to their service. And many ISP's have all the information on
    > their homepages some place.

    LOL, that reminds me of a couple of menus I heard on the phone today.
    "If you have a total loss of telephone service, please press 2"
    "If you have a loss of internet connectivity, please check our status page at
    www........"

    >> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:26:54 GMT, "Aquery" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Would I uninstall the current ISP before installing new ISP from
    >>> a disk? Or do I have to wait to be disconnected?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Aquery
    Brian H¹©, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Aquery

    trout Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > It's probably best to uninstall the other one first.
    > You can set up your computer to use another ISP manually and save
    > yourself some of the baggage some ISP' couple with their disks, but it
    > requires a bit of effort and knowledge of which settings to change.

    Well, if it's a switch to the same *kind* of service; there are
    really only a few settings. Someone 'here' could probably provide them
    (and simple instructions), if the new ISP is mentioned (if the poster
    doesn't know).
    Aside from branding and 'junk installations'; there's the benefit of
    continuing to use the same folders, if just the account details are
    changed, without completely removing the previous account, and creating
    a new one. Easier than importing old messages into a new account, IMO.

    trout, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Aquery

    Harrison Guest

    I totally agree, but I was merely directly answering his question.
    Let's hope the new ISP isn't AOL. If so, we haven't heard the last of
    this one!

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Boomer said:
    >
    >> Harrison wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's probably best to uninstall the other one first.
    >>> You can set up your computer to use another ISP manually and
    >>> save yourself some of the baggage some ISP' couple with their
    >>> disks, but it requires a bit of effort and knowledge of which
    >>> settings to change.

    >> The ISP should be able to walk the person through the manual
    >> setup to connect to their service. And many ISP's have all the
    >> information on their homepages some place.

    > LOL, that reminds me of a couple of menus I heard on the phone
    > today. "If you have a total loss of telephone service, please
    > press 2" "If you have a loss of internet connectivity, please
    > check our status page at www........"

    OMG! That's terrible! Would that be NTL?
    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > I totally agree, but I was merely directly answering his
    > question. Let's hope the new ISP isn't AOL. If so, we haven't
    > heard the last of this one!

    If it is AOL (heaven forbid) CD *will* be needed! <sigh!>

    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Aquery

    Aquery Guest

    "Aquery" <> wrote in message
    > Would I uninstall the current ISP before installing new ISP from a disk?

    Or
    > do I have to wait to be disconnected?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Aquery

    Providing a bit more info. I am to help a friend install MSN <her choice>
    she has a local ISP that gives limited service. MSN sent her a disk, there
    is no info on their home page that I could find.

    She will have a dial up connection, she had to fill out a form for payment,
    and wait for disk.

    Since I have never changed ISP's I don't have a clue, but, I do know MSN
    would not be my choice.

    I trust your opinions and help.

    Thanks,
    Aquery

    Aquery, Oct 7, 2003
  11. Aquery

    Harrison Guest

    Suggest doing it with the disk, but lookout for pre-selected options
    and features that she doesn't need. Run Custom Setup if that's an
    option, and choose only what's needed to get access.
    Otherwise, you'll get MSN Explorer, MSN Messenger, Windows Media
    Player, and God knows what else.

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Aquery wrote:

    > "Aquery" <> wrote in message
    >> Would I uninstall the current ISP before installing new ISP
    >> from a disk?

    > Or
    >> do I have to wait to be disconnected?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Aquery

    > Providing a bit more info. I am to help a friend install MSN
    > <her choice> she has a local ISP that gives limited service.
    > MSN sent her a disk, there is no info on their home page that I
    > could find.
    >
    > She will have a dial up connection, she had to fill out a form
    > for payment, and wait for disk.
    >
    > Since I have never changed ISP's I don't have a clue, but, I do
    > know MSN would not be my choice.
    >
    > I trust your opinions and help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Aquery

    <sigh>

    Have her/you put in the CD and follow the directions. MSN will do
    its thing. I doubt if you will have to uninstall anything because
    MSN will take over.

    What *exactly* were you wanting to uninstall? Dialup numbers, icons?
    I don't use CD's but I know you have to with AOL and MSN... at least
    from what I know from others who (sadly) use those two services.
    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003
  13. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > Suggest doing it with the disk, but lookout for pre-selected
    > options and features that she doesn't need. Run Custom Setup if
    > that's an option, and choose only what's needed to get access.
    > Otherwise, you'll get MSN Explorer, MSN Messenger, Windows Media
    > Player, and God knows what else.

    So true!!!!

    Boomer, Oct 7, 2003
  14. Aquery

    Aquery Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > Aquery wrote:
    >
    > > "Aquery" <> wrote in message
    > >> Would I uninstall the current ISP before installing new ISP
    > >> from a disk?

    > > Or
    > >> do I have to wait to be disconnected?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Aquery

    > > Providing a bit more info. I am to help a friend install MSN
    > > <her choice> she has a local ISP that gives limited service.
    > > MSN sent her a disk, there is no info on their home page that I
    > > could find.
    > >
    > > She will have a dial up connection, she had to fill out a form
    > > for payment, and wait for disk.
    > >
    > > Since I have never changed ISP's I don't have a clue, but, I do
    > > know MSN would not be my choice.
    > >
    > > I trust your opinions and help.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Aquery

    > <sigh>
    >
    > Have her/you put in the CD and follow the directions. MSN will do
    > its thing. I doubt if you will have to uninstall anything because
    > MSN will take over.
    >
    > What *exactly* were you wanting to uninstall? Dialup numbers, icons?
    > I don't use CD's but I know you have to with AOL and MSN... at least
    > from what I know from others who (sadly) use those two services.

    Yes, uninstalling a ISP called NETNITCO.COM is local and a junky
    service <can I say that here?>. I will see if there is a custom setting
    when we install the MSN server disc.

    I have Earthlink and they did mine over the phone a few years back, but I
    have since heard they do the disc also now.

    I figured that any ISP would brand and take over.. she will have to deal
    with that.

    Thank you all.
    Aquery
    Aquery, Oct 8, 2003
  15. Aquery

    Boomer Guest

    Aquery wrote:

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> Aquery wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Aquery" <> wrote in message
    >> > Or

    >> > Providing a bit more info. I am to help a friend install MSN
    >> > <her choice> she has a local ISP that gives limited service.
    >> > MSN sent her a disk, there is no info on their home page that
    >> > I could find.
    >> >
    >> > She will have a dial up connection, she had to fill out a
    >> > form for payment, and wait for disk.
    >> >
    >> > Since I have never changed ISP's I don't have a clue, but, I
    >> > do know MSN would not be my choice.
    >> >
    >> > I trust your opinions and help.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Aquery

    >> <sigh>
    >>
    >> Have her/you put in the CD and follow the directions. MSN will
    >> do its thing. I doubt if you will have to uninstall anything
    >> because MSN will take over.
    >>
    >> What *exactly* were you wanting to uninstall? Dialup numbers,
    >> icons? I don't use CD's but I know you have to with AOL and
    >> MSN... at least from what I know from others who (sadly) use
    >> those two services.
    >>

    > Yes, uninstalling a ISP called NETNITCO.COM is local and a
    > junky
    > service <can I say that here?>. I will see if there is a
    > custom setting when we install the MSN server disc.

    There should be. :)

    > I have Earthlink and they did mine over the phone a few years
    > back, but I have since heard they do the disc also now.

    They do have the CD's but you don't have to use them. I know. ;-)

    > I figured that any ISP would brand and take over.. she will
    > have to deal with that.

    Esp. AOL and MSN.

    Good luck.

    > Thank you all.