Changing IP address of PIX

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by soup_or_power@yahoo.com, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have to change the company IP addresses from one block to another. My
    current plan is to replace the PIX entries one-to-one. For instance if
    the IP addresses are

    outside old outside new
    inside
    209.168.5.1 210.168.5.1
    192.168.5.1
    209.168.5.2 210.168.5.2
    192.168.5.2
    209.168.5.3 210.168.5.3
    192.168.5.3
    209.168.5.4 210.168.5.4
    192.168.5.4

    I replace old with new in the PIX config. The network is heterogeneous
    with some Linux and some Windows. Do I need to change the IP addresses
    on each machine's interface (currently the interface has inside IP
    address) ? I am hoping I don't need to.

    Also, how do I change the IP address of firewall itself?

    Upstream to the firewall there is a router managed by our ISP. Do I
    have to communicate the ISP to forward packets to the new firewall?

    Thanks for your help
    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have to change the company IP addresses from one block to another. My
    >current plan is to replace the PIX entries one-to-one.

    >I replace old with new in the PIX config. The network is heterogeneous
    >with some Linux and some Windows. Do I need to change the IP addresses
    >on each machine's interface (currently the interface has inside IP
    >address) ? I am hoping I don't need to.

    No, the inside machines should not notice.

    >Also, how do I change the IP address of firewall itself?

    Go into configure mode and command

    Find the current IP used for the outside by using show ip
    I have represented that address below with an X
    Go into configuration mode and command

    no ip address outside 209.168.5.X 255.255.255.0
    ip address outside 210.168.5.X 255.255.255.0

    >Upstream to the firewall there is a router managed by our ISP. Do I
    >have to communicate the ISP to forward packets to the new firewall?

    Yes.
    Walter Roberson, Jun 19, 2006