    Secondly it's recommended to remove the old compound and fit a new thermal
    pad but wherer can I get these thermal pads in the UK? Is it the same thing
    if I just use good quality compound like Arctic Silver?

    Katie Boyle, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Katie Boyle

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Katie Boyle mused:

    | Athlon 2500 XP Barton, suspect the fan but these don't semm to be
    | available separately.
    | Firstly how do I know which fan to get, looking here:
    | http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Submit=search&Category=13
    | I know it's not the 64 bit ones, is it any of the other Socket 754.
    | There's one which fits all, should I just buy it?

    If it is just the fan on the heat sink that is playing up, then all you
    need to do is replace the fan. No need to replace the entire heat sink.
    Many places sell fans. If you measure the fan on the heat sink from the
    sides (not the corners) in millimeters, you will then know what size fan you
    need to get to replace your existing one. It's probably a 60 mm or 80 mm
    fan.

    | Secondly it's recommended to remove the old compound and fit a new thermal
    | pad but wherer can I get these thermal pads in the UK? Is it the same
    | thing if I just use good quality compound like Arctic Silver?

    Most heat sinks, assuming you are talking about replacing the one you
    currently have (if not, then there is no need to remove it in the first
    place) will have a thermal pad already adhered to the underside. If they do
    not, then a thermal compound would be required. Though, unless you are
    overclocking the CPU, Arctic Silver may be a little overkill.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Katie Boyle

    Katie Boyle Guest

    Thanks for the reply, I know it's a 3 pin fan so I'll take the old one off
    and look around locally. It had been making strange noises and recently
    getting occasional lockups when doing certain things. I have Asus probe
    which monitors fan speed and there are sometimes speed variations. Don't
    want to take chances since a fan & heatsink are much cheaper than a new CPU.

    Katie Boyle, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Katie Boyle

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Katie Boyle mused:

    | Thanks for the reply, I know it's a 3 pin fan so I'll take the old one off
    | and look around locally. It had been making strange noises and recently
    | getting occasional lockups when doing certain things. I have Asus probe
    | which monitors fan speed and there are sometimes speed variations. Don't
    | want to take chances since a fan & heatsink are much cheaper than a new
    | CPU.

    That's a good idea. You shouldn't have any problem finding a
    replacement. Just makes sure you don't run the PC with the fan off ...
    Also, while you have the fan off, it would be a good time to check the fins
    of the heat sink for any dust that could be hindering its effectiveness.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 2, 2004
  5. On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:20:41 +0000, mhicaoidh wrote:

    > Taking a moment's reflection, Katie Boyle mused:
    > |
    > | Thanks for the reply, I know it's a 3 pin fan so I'll take the old one
    > | off and look around locally. It had been making strange noises and
    > | recently getting occasional lockups when doing certain things. I have
    > | Asus probe which monitors fan speed and there are sometimes speed
    > | variations. Don't want to take chances since a fan & heatsink are much
    > | cheaper than a new CPU.
    >
    > That's a good idea. You shouldn't have any problem finding a
    > replacement. Just makes sure you don't run the PC with the fan off ...
    > Also, while you have the fan off, it would be a good time to check the
    > fins of the heat sink for any dust that could be hindering its
    > effectiveness.

    Also make sure you run monitoring software (or check the BIOS) if your
    motherboard has temperature monitoring features. I have replaced a fan &
    heatsink last year for one which was rated to work for my processor. Once
    correctly installed the processor temperature was going up really quickly,
    until the motherboard`s safety kicked in and threw the power off (75
    degrees I think). Without the monitoring features my processor would have
    been fried.

    Willem

    Willem van der Berg, Oct 2, 2004
  6. Katie Boyle

    Kenny Guest

    BTW I'm Kenny not Katie and I'm sorry for not following original thread I
    started re: Agent Forte and PC shutting down. If I had it may haved saved a
    lot of trouble.
    Reason was I was using my daughter's PC and my original post didn't show and
    started a new one without more explanation.
    I got another fan and after fitting same thing was happening, PC would lock
    up or sometimes even switch off when using Agent or XP Find files feature.
    Watching Asus Probe carefully whilst using Agent, it again locked, fan speed
    stayed constant, HDD was thrashing and CPU temp. started rising. I'm
    assuming there's a thermal cut-out in the Athlon which is why it was
    shutting down. Decided to remove Agent but first have a look at Agent
    program folder. It had grown to 2.2GB! What appeared to be happening was
    that any attachments I had saved using Agent were being stored as data in
    the program folder even though I had stored them in a different location.
    Removed Agent completely and the problem's totally gone.
    What an awful program, it could have destroyed my CPU only for the inbuilt
    protection on the Athlon.
    Certainly one to watch out for and now I need a good binaries newsreader.
    PHEEEEWWW!!!!!!!

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Kenny wrote:

    > Removed Agent completely and the problem's totally gone.
    > What an awful program, it could have destroyed my CPU only for the inbuilt
    > protection on the Athlon.
    > Certainly one to watch out for and now I need a good binaries newsreader.

    Drop by news.software.readers for ideas. See ya there.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Katie Boyle

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Kenny mused:

    | Watching Asus Probe carefully whilst using Agent, it again
    | locked, fan speed stayed constant, HDD was thrashing and CPU temp.
    | started rising. I'm assuming there's a thermal cut-out in the Athlon
    | which is why it was shutting down.

    It may, but the Athlons are rated for 80 ~ 90°C max temp. So, unless
    your readings were getting in the mid- to high 70°C range, I doubt it was
    temperature.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 3, 2004