    it on the new hard drive?

    Thanks of any help.

    Paul
    Atlas Shrugged, Nov 11, 2006

  2. Atlas Shrugged

    old man Guest

    If it fails to activate on line use telephone activation

    "Atlas Shrugged" <> wrote in message
    > I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view

    of
    > the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
    > installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the

    new
    > hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
    > installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to

    activate

    old man, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Atlas Shrugged

    Alan Guest

    Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    > I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view of
    > the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
    > installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the new
    > hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
    > installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to activate
    > it on the new hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks of any help.
    >
    > Paul

    There may be some stores that will image your old drive onto the new
    one. they would put one of the drives into an external enclosure and
    use Ghost to copy everything over.
    Alan, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Atlas Shrugged

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:08:23 -0500, Alan <> wrote:

    >Atlas Shrugged wrote:
    >> I have to change a hard drive on my laptop. It has WinXP on it. In view of
    >> the requirement to have to register and activate the software that I
    >> installed, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall XP on the new
    >> hard drive? Will it cause a problem activating it since it was already
    >> installed on another computer? If it does, what do I have to do to activate
    >> it on the new hard drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks of any help.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    >There may be some stores that will image your old drive onto the new
    >one. they would put one of the drives into an external enclosure and
    >use Ghost to copy everything over.

    Even if you Ghost from old o new HD, XP will detect the change of
    drive and may hang while loading.

    If you use Acronis True Image to do the imaging however, you should
    have no problems. There's supposed to be a Acronis Migration tool
    (demo, but does the job) on their website.

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Nov 12, 2006