Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendan, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    I wish to go from UBS to Jetstream (2 megabit). I would like advice and
    strategy from those in the know or those who have already done so. Below is
    what Orcon told me on the phone. (Not happy with Orcon UBS; not sure Orcon
    is correct with the below).

    Just called up Orcon to enquire what is neede as per above. Was on hold for
    about 20 of their '1 minute' que.........

    There is no 'churn fee'. Yes indeed... Apparently they have to get Telecom
    to disconnect your ADSL, and then reconnect it again. This costs $99.95.

    You are best to do it on the 15th, because Orcon wants to have 30 days
    notice. They cannot give a good reason for the 30 days, so I'll assume
    there is no good reason.

    You then have to wait for up to about 10 days for the adsl to be
    reconnected. You will be without adsl for up to 10 days.

    No mention of Telecom's billing cycle and the games they play with it, like
    they did when I went from Jetstream to UBS. Likely, Telecom will take the
    oppurtunity to **** you over as well but I'd like to hear from a few others
    who have gone UBS -> Jetstream already.

    Why does it take 10 days to send a command to the DSLAM ? Or do they really
    have to physically go down there, resolder wires and pour cement ?

    It's obvious to me Telecom has taken a punative attitude to it's customers
    audacity at leaving them; further, I think they have deliberatly sabotaged
    the system to make competitors fail. Such is the lack of intellect in upper
    management of Telecom. No surprise - where they could be making millions
    and winning friends, they are instead inviting anger from the public and
    regulation. The shareholders should fire those morons and anyone else like
    them if they want their investment to survive long term.

    But I digress: none of that is news. What I want to know is strategies and
    info to overcome/bypass the delays in going from UBS to Jetstream, and
    minimise expense and bugger ups.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "If you do not think about the future, you cannot have one." -- John Galsworthy

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/02/2005 4:42:09 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:39:33 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brendan wrote:
    >> I wish to go from UBS to Jetstream (2 megabit). I would like advice and
    >> strategy from those in the know or those who have already done so. Below is
    >> what Orcon told me on the phone. (Not happy with Orcon UBS; not sure Orcon
    >> is correct with the below).

    > just an FYI...
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/UNID/18AE8FEF82917849CC256FB300126077

    Thanks Dave... Seems if I want 192kbits I better get in soon. Might not
    make a difference though - I might not be an 'existing customer' when my
    connection comes online...

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth." -- Alan Wilson Watts

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/02/2005 7:52:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 25, 2005