    to workgroup mode, and 2) Is there some little batch file or other scrap of
    code that I could run when I take the laptop back to the office, to automate
    converting the laptop back into domain mode, so it's usable in the office?
    =?Utf-8?B?Zm9ybXVsYWlj?=, Nov 6, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Zm9ybXVsYWlj?=

    Malke Guest

    formulaic wrote:

    > I just bought a new box running XP home ed. and put a wireless PCI
    > card in it, and bought the linksys wireless home router, so that when
    > I bring my work laptop home, I could connect wirelessly with the new
    > box at home. Problem is, to use the home wireless network, I
    > apparently have to be in "workgroup" mode, but at my office I am in
    > "domain mode". These two don't connect. I actually have two questions:
    > 1) How do I switch the laptop from domain mode to workgroup mode, and
    > 2) Is there some little batch file or other scrap of code that I could
    > run when I take the laptop back to the office, to automate converting
    > the laptop back into domain mode, so it's usable in the office?

    You do not switch the laptop to "workgroup mode" or you will be seeing
    your IT Dept. on Monday with your hat in your hand. Here are
    instructions how to use your domain-enabled laptop on your home network
    (credit MVP Lanwench):

    Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    MS KB article about the Net Use command - http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Nov 6, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Zm9ybXVsYWlj?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    If the IT people at Work agree to it, you might be able to switch back and
    forth using one of these solutions. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Nov 7, 2005
  4. I've got the same problem. Did you ever try the net use solution? I don't
    think I understand it!
    =?Utf-8?B?RnVubmVsbA==?=, Jan 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Zm9ybXVsYWlj?=

    Kalevi

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hello guys.

    I needed to transfer some files from my work laptop
    to my home PC.

    I changed my laptop WORKGROUP to same as in my home PC. I rebooted my laptop and now it wont log me in anymore.

    Can someone help me please?
    Kalevi, Nov 5, 2007