Changing from CatOS to IOS on 6509 (SUP)?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thomas Novin, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Thomas Novin

    Thomas Novin Guest

    Hey all.

    Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
    6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.

    I am (ofcourse) already running IOS on the MSFC2.

    # sh ver
    WS-C6509 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.3(1)
    Copyright (c) 1995-2002 by Cisco Systems
    NMP S/W compiled on Jul 8 2002, 16:10:20

    System Bootstrap Version: 7.1(1)

    Hardware Version: 3.0 Model: WS-C6509

    # sh ver
    IOS (tm) MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E6, EARLY
    DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Compiled Thu 17-Apr-03 19:46 by hqluong
    Image text-base: 0x40008C00, data-base: 0x4187E000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(11r)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    BOOTLDR: MSFC2 Software (C6MSFC2-PSV-M), Version 12.1(13)E6, EARLY
    DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Thomas.
    Thomas Novin, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Thomas Novin

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <boec73$1e7aif$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > Hey all.
    >
    > Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
    > 6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.
    >
    > I am (ofcourse) already running IOS on the MSFC2.

    There are a few features that are only supported in one OS or the
    other, but in general, there is no reason (other than that) to stay
    with CatOS. More than 50% of the new 6500 are now shipping with IOS,
    although Cisco will support and continue to enhance CatOS for the
    foreseeable suture.

    You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
    pretty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
    MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements. CCO
    has a lot of doc on converting (either way), and also on the way the
    conceptual view of the device changes when you convert.

    /Chris, UCLA
    Chris Thomas, Nov 6, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Chris Thomas <> wrote:
    :You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
    :pretty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
    :MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements.

    I would imagine that the handling of VLANs must change a fair bit?
    I hope they found some method better than BVI interfaces; I
    always found BVI ugly to use on the C2948G-L3.
    --
    Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
    Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy, yeah!
    Walter Roberson, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Thomas Novin

    Andre Beck Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    > In article <>,
    > Chris Thomas <> wrote:
    > :You can load the MSFC config onto the IOS 6500 after you convert,
    > :pretty much unchanged. The config of a native 6500 looks like an
    > :MSFC config with an extra large number of interface statements.
    >
    > I would imagine that the handling of VLANs must change a fair bit?
    > I hope they found some method better than BVI interfaces; I
    > always found BVI ugly to use on the C2948G-L3.

    ;->

    BVI time is finally over. The integrated IOS on 65xxs (as well as the
    one on 45xx SupIVs) feels exactly like the one on 3550s and 3750s:
    You have "vlan database", you have VTP, you have physical interfaces
    that you can either "switchport" or not, and you have "vlan N" logical
    L3 interfaces into the VLANs (EtherSVIs).

    Configuring them is a pleasure compared to the 2948G-L3/4908G-L3 way
    of doing things with bridge-groups, subinterfaces and BVIs. This is
    of course just a different view of the same underlying concept, but
    the "Switch IOS" (as I've decided to call it) makes things more
    consistent over different plattforms. Be it 2950, 3550, 3750 or the
    big irons, even the good old 35xxXLs - the way of configuring them is
    essentially the same with small specialties (like the 2950 not having
    any ISL support and thus lacking commands like "switchport trunk
    encapsulation"). So for me, the basic reason to not even touch CatOS
    and use integrated IOS on the 65xx is simply consistence - the other
    (smaller) switches in the net are running Swicth IOS, too. Except for
    the L3s... Cisco would have done us a favor supplying a Switch
    IOS load for the abovementioned creatures (that are AFAIR essentially
    standalone versions of 8500 series blades) - but AFAIK they didn't.

    As this breaks things like VTP (never try VTP pruning when a VTP
    transparent switch is in your way), this is really a bad thing. I
    wouldn't even mind if they traded the old L3s in against the matching
    3550s...

    --
    The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

    -> Andre "ABPSoft" Beck +++ ABP-RIPE +++ Dresden, Germany, Spacetime <-
    Andre Beck, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Thomas Novin

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <boec73$1e7aif$-berlin.de>, Thomas Novin
    <> wrote:

    > Hey all.
    >
    > Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch to IOS on the SUP2 on my
    > 6509? I have no experience from CatOS so I'd much rather use IOS.

    Read the instructions on www.cisco.com VERY carefully. There's a
    twenty-something step procedure for the upgrade. There's also a config
    convertor to turn your CatOS config into the corresponding IOS config
    but it's, erm, not entirely comprehensive. You can't paste in a config
    greater than 32K (ours were much larger, though that may be a browser
    limit), it doesn't convert all commands and it gets some conversions
    wrong - check it carefully.

    Sam Wilson
    Infrastructure Services Division
    Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    Sam Wilson, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Thomas Novin

    Thomas Novin Guest

    The tool can be found here:

    http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl

    And for configs over 32K, it allows you to upload the entire file.

    Sam Wilson wrote:
    > Read the instructions on www.cisco.com VERY carefully. There's a
    > twenty-something step procedure for the upgrade. There's also a config
    > convertor to turn your CatOS config into the corresponding IOS config
    > but it's, erm, not entirely comprehensive. You can't paste in a config
    > greater than 32K (ours were much larger, though that may be a browser
    > limit), it doesn't convert all commands and it gets some conversions
    > wrong - check it carefully.
    >
    > Sam Wilson
    > Infrastructure Services Division
    > Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
    > Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

    Thomas Novin · · http://xyz.pp.se/~thnov/
    V: +46 (0)431 445400 · F: +46 (0)431 445410 · GSM: +46 (0)730 667425
    Thomas Novin, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Thomas Novin

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <bp1vue$1jp0mc$-berlin.de>, Thomas Novin
    <> wrote:

    > The tool can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/CatCfgConversion/catcfg_xlat.pl
    >
    > And for configs over 32K, it allows you to upload the entire file.

    It says it does - two of us here have never managed to get any output
    out of it using a range of OSs and browsers. We ended up cutting out
    what we believed (hoped!) to be irrelevant from the full configs to get
    them under 32K and then pasted them in.

    Sam
    Sam Wilson, Nov 14, 2003