    however, it now seems that they requre an extra £1.50 a month to do this.

    The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I have
    had for many years.

    jasee, Sep 14, 2006

  2. jasee wrote:
    > I thought this would be a good idea. As it's much more useable with voip for
    > instance and the price is almost the same
    >
    > The people at wholesale said that I could take my email addresses with me,
    > however, it now seems that they requre an extra £1.50 a month to do this.
    >
    > The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I have
    > had for many years.

    I am not sure if you are warning that the original email address may be
    lost or of the charge.

    I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month -
    seems good value to me.

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006

  3. jasee

    It's Me Guest

    > I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month - seems
    > good value to me.

    Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

    It's Me, Sep 14, 2006
  4. It's Me wrote:
    >> I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month - seems
    >> good value to me.
    >>

    > Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

    Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
    direct debit collection costs on 20p?

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006
  5. jasee

    PhilT Guest

    Colin Forrester wrote:

    > Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
    > direct debit collection costs on 20p?

    there aren't any, its derived from phone call charges for dialling in
    to keep it alive. Seems you can easily resurrect it from the web
    without even doing the dial-in trick.

    Also the BT Basic email option is free just to preserve an
    @btinternet.com account and vie wit with webmail.

    Phil

    PhilT, Sep 14, 2006
  6. jasee

    Owain Guest

    Colin Forrester wrote:
    >> The people at wholesale said that I could take my email addresses with
    >> me, however, it now seems that they requre an extra £1.50 a month to
    >> do this.
    >> The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I
    >> have had for many years.

    > I am not sure if you are warning that the original email address may be
    > lost or of the charge.
    > I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month -
    > seems good value to me.

    But buying your own domain name would be even better value.

    Owain

    Owain, Sep 14, 2006
  7. PhilT wrote:
    > Colin Forrester wrote:
    >
    >> Which makes you wonder how long that will last - what are the monthly
    >> direct debit collection costs on 20p?

    > there aren't any, its derived from phone call charges for dialling in
    > to keep it alive. Seems you can easily resurrect it from the web
    > without even doing the dial-in trick.
    >
    > Also the BT Basic email option is free just to preserve an
    > @btinternet.com account and vie wit with webmail.

    OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses and are charged
    £1.50 per month for the lot. Still feel this is good value though.

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006
  8. jasee

    Andrew Crane Guest

    "It's Me" <> wrote in message

    > > I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month -

    seems
    > > good value to me.
    > >

    > Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

    Then move to Freeserve you cheapskate. You want your cake and eat it and for
    nothing. You are not the kind of customer that they want to attract on a
    business package.

    Regards
    Andrew

    Andrew Crane, Sep 14, 2006
  9. jasee

    jasee Guest

    Andrew Crane wrote:
    > "It's Me" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month
    >>> - seems good value to me.
    >>>

    >> Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or
    >> less.

    > Then move to Freeserve you cheapskate. You want your cake and eat it
    > and for nothing. You are not the kind of customer that they want to
    > attract on a business package.

    As the OP, my complaint was that I wasn't informed and I don't require the
    extra email addresses of Business Broadband anyway or the flashy Outlook Web
    Acess, access.

    Actually enabling this requires only a small change in their DNS, so I don't
    see why it has to be a monthly burden

    jasee, Sep 14, 2006
  10. jasee

    Andrew Crane Guest

    "jasee" <> wrote in message
    > As the OP, my complaint was that I wasn't informed and I don't require the
    > extra email addresses of Business Broadband anyway or the flashy Outlook

    Web
    > Acess, access.
    >
    > Actually enabling this requires only a small change in their DNS, so I

    don't
    > see why it has to be a monthly burden

    Pricing is market led, not down to resource usage. Most people don't penny
    pinch and so will stand the cost. If you want it for nothing I'm sure there
    are companies out there who are misguided enough to think they can make the
    money back off you elsewhere. Like everything in life you get what you pay
    for.

    Also, there will be more to change than the DNS. A little knowledge is
    dangerous.

    Regards
    Andrew

    Andrew Crane, Sep 14, 2006
  11. jasee

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:

    >OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses

    So you'll carry on paying them, for years and years, to "keep the same
    e-mail addresses" when in truth you could get a domain and have all the
    e-mail addresses you use now, and more, and also phase out those which
    currently cost some monthly fee - it's really close to being a "protection
    racket" when ISPs have a monthly fee for such things!

    The other silly fee that some ISPs charge for is a static IP address - I've
    seen as much as 3 quid a month for that... with the ISP I'm using I can
    switch from dynamic to static anytime I want without any fee being
    charged at all Odd that some ISPs can be flexible while others make
    it costly or "impossible"...

    --
    Change to DSL Max the way I did: switch ISP <http://www.dslmax.info/>

    NoNeedToKnow, Sep 14, 2006
  12. jasee

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006, "jasee" <> wrote:

    >The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case I have
    >had for many years.

    I think it's about the first thing I'd *want* to lose. While you class it
    as important, I'd say they become a millstone, kept for mainly
    sentimental reasons, and you are now slave to it.

    I had an ISP-related mail address which was fine, until the day that ISP
    was bought by a much larger concern from another State (it was a small
    or medium sized USA ISP) I'd had the mail address close on 8 years, and
    then could no longer use it (if the domain had been available I might even
    have registered it, but the expiry date is 2011, so it's now just history.)

    NoNeedToKnow, Sep 14, 2006
  13. jasee

    jasee Guest

    NoNeedToKnow wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006, "jasee" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case
    >> I have had for many years.

    > I think it's about the first thing I'd *want* to lose. While you
    > class it as important, I'd say they become a millstone, kept for
    > mainly
    > sentimental reasons, and you are now slave to it.
    >
    > I had an ISP-related mail address which was fine, until the day that
    > ISP was bought by a much larger concern from another State (it was a
    > small
    > or medium sized USA ISP) I'd had the mail address close on 8 years,
    > and then could no longer use it (if the domain had been available I
    > might even have registered it, but the expiry date is 2011, so it's
    > now just history.)

    There is nothing permanent of course, I've got a few gmail addresses which
    is possibly an answer. I've kept my old demon account for (mainly)
    sentimental reasons so I'm paying £100+ for that...

    jasee, Sep 14, 2006
  14. jasee

    Graham Guest

    >> I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month -
    >> seems good value to me.
    >>

    > Not when freeserve (wanadaoo, Orange) ones cost you 20p a year or less.

    Then you are being rippped off too ;-)
    I simpley restore my suspended Freeserve accounts by going to this URL
    https://www.orange.co.uk/signup/noties/ar60.cfm
    there is also a link on the main Orange page.
    No need to dial up.

    I always warn people not to use their current ISP's email address as their
    main
    address. I know several people who feel "stuck" with the likes of AOL etc.
    because thet didn't heed my warning.
    I have had my Freeserve emails for eight years and I have lost count
    of the ISP's I have used in that time.

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Sep 14, 2006
  15. jasee

    Paul Cupis Guest

    NoNeedToKnow wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:
    >
    >> OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses

    > So you'll carry on paying them, for years and years, to "keep the same
    > e-mail addresses" when in truth you could get a domain and have all the
    > e-mail addresses you use now, and more, and also phase out those which
    > currently cost some monthly fee - it's really close to being a "protection
    > racket" when ISPs have a monthly fee for such things!

    A monthly fee for a service they provide every month, which uses their
    resources and therefore costs them something to provide.

    Paul Cupis, Sep 14, 2006
  16. NoNeedToKnow wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:
    >
    >> OK, we needed to protect eight linked email addresses

    > So you'll carry on paying them, for years and years, to "keep the same
    > e-mail addresses" when in truth you could get a domain and have all the
    > e-mail addresses you use now, and more, and also phase out those which
    > currently cost some monthly fee

    We needed to protect these addresses - which were used many years ago
    and some people still send to them. The last thing we want is to give
    them up and have someone else use them.

    As I mentioned I do not consider the charge excessive and would prefer
    to pay for a well maintained service (which it has been) rather than a
    free service with no support and less chance of longevity.

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006
  17. Owain wrote:
    > Colin Forrester wrote:
    >>> The people at wholesale said that I could take my email addresses
    >>> with me, however, it now seems that they requre an extra £1.50 a
    >>> month to do this.
    >>> The last thing you want to loose is email addresses which in my case
    >>> I have had for many years.

    >> I am not sure if you are warning that the original email address may
    >> be lost or of the charge.
    >> I have protected a series of email addresses for the £1.50 a month -
    >> seems good value to me.

    > But buying your own domain name would be even better value.

    Since I can't buy btinternet.com I will continue to rent specific
    addresses to prevent others from using them.

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006
  18. jasee

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:

    >which were used many years ago and some people still send to them.

    So set yourself a limt - perhaps a generous limt of 18 months - during
    which you use some mail rule (eg in your mail client) that forces any
    mail sent to those specific addresses to be stored in some specific
    "ask-them-to-send-to-our-new-mail-address" folder. At the end
    of that time, you can stop paying for the service - while I will
    accept you don't want to lose their business, you might also
    take steps (which you seem unwilling to do) to stop their ever-
    continuing use of those same old mail addresses.

    NoNeedToKnow, Sep 14, 2006
  19. jasee

    NoNeedToKnow Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006 17:37, "jasee" <> wrote:

    >There is nothing permanent of course, I've got a few gmail addresses which
    >is possibly an answer.

    registering some domain (as little as a pound if you look around) may be
    another answer, as suggested by more than one poster... send any
    mail to your <current> favourite mail service, whether it be Gmail
    or some other free/chargeable service.

    >I've kept my old demon account for (mainly) sentimental reasons so I'm
    >paying £100+ for that...

    What do they say... something about a person and his money... Yes,
    that's certainly true "sentiment" and I can think of other things to spend
    100+ pounds on.

    NoNeedToKnow, Sep 14, 2006
  20. NoNeedToKnow wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006, Colin Forrester wrote:
    >
    >> which were used many years ago and some people still send to them.

    > So set yourself a limt - perhaps a generous limt of 18 months - during
    > which you use some mail rule (eg in your mail client) that forces any
    > mail sent to those specific addresses to be stored in some specific
    > "ask-them-to-send-to-our-new-mail-address" folder. At the end
    > of that time, you can stop paying for the service - while I will
    > accept you don't want to lose their business, you might also
    > take steps (which you seem unwilling to do) to stop their ever-
    > continuing use of those same old mail addresses.

    You know that's a good idea - but our customers are always right and
    some still use those old addresses. We need just one such customer to
    generate less than 15 minutes work per annum to cover that cost. I
    guess we will keep paying BT £1.50 per month for the time being.

    Colin Forrester, Sep 14, 2006