    would like to keep all the original filenames (songs).
    Is there a way of safely doing this in a batch-mode?
    I have almost 5GB and it would take too long to do it individually.
    jamy, Mar 3, 2005

  2. jamy

    Richard Guest

    On 3 Mar 2005 23:10:29 GMT jamy wrote:

    > I have Windows XP and would like to change some file extensions without
    > changing the actual filenames.
    > I have a lot of Ogg vorbis files with a .vorbis extension I would like to
    > change to an .Ogg extension otherwise my MP3 player won't recognize them.
    > I would like to keep all the original filenames (songs).
    > Is there a way of safely doing this in a batch-mode?
    > I have almost 5GB and it would take too long to do it individually.

    Use a dos command.
    copy *.vorbis *.ogg
    del *.vorbis
    Richard, Mar 4, 2005

  3. jamy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "jamy" <> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP and would like to change some file extensions without
    > changing the actual filenames.
    > I have a lot of Ogg vorbis files with a .vorbis extension I would like to
    > change to an .Ogg extension otherwise my MP3 player won't recognize them.
    > would like to keep all the original filenames (songs).
    > Is there a way of safely doing this in a batch-mode?
    > I have almost 5GB and it would take too long to do it individually.

    You can do it from a DOS window. Are the files all in the same folder? If
    not, you would need to do this in each folder.

    Open a cmd prompt. (Winkey+R, type CMD press <enter>).

    Navigate to the folder you have your files in:
    CD "C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\my music" (substitute
    your login name for 'user name', and edit the path as needed)

    Type ren *.xxx *.yyy <enter> (substitue your old extension for xxx, and your
    new extension for yyy)

    That's it! Now, navigate to any other folders which need changing and do
    the same.
    Toolman Tim, Mar 4, 2005
  4. jamy

    Unk Guest

    On 3 Mar 2005 23:10:29 GMT, jamy <> wrote:

    >I have Windows XP and would like to change some file extensions without
    >changing the actual filenames.
    >I have a lot of Ogg vorbis files with a .vorbis extension I would like to
    >change to an .Ogg extension otherwise my MP3 player won't recognize them. I
    >would like to keep all the original filenames (songs).
    >Is there a way of safely doing this in a batch-mode?
    >I have almost 5GB and it would take too long to do it individually.

    You can do that from a Command prompt:
    Start, Programs, Command Prompt
    Or Start, Run. In the Run box, type CMD

    Navigate to the folder where the files are and type:
    ren *.vorbis *.ogg

    Then wait until the cursor starts blinking again. 5GB will take a while.

    Rename a single file FIRST and make sure the change to the .ogg extension plays!

    3rd party software:

    Magic File Renamer
    http://www.finebytes.com/
    Unk, Mar 4, 2005
  5. jamy

    Guest

    On 3 Mar 2005 23:10:29 GMT, jamy <> wrote:

    |> I have Windows XP and would like to change some file extensions without
    |> changing the actual filenames.
    |> I have a lot of Ogg vorbis files with a .vorbis extension I would like to
    |> change to an .Ogg extension otherwise my MP3 player won't recognize them. I
    |> would like to keep all the original filenames (songs).
    |> Is there a way of safely doing this in a batch-mode?
    |> I have almost 5GB and it would take too long to do it individually.

    WinKey+R (run) <type in> cmd <enter>
    (get into a command window)

    CD to the directory your working with
    type in:
    copy *.vorbis <some other directory> \*.Ogg

    -copy to make sure it works, and another directory just incase you have
    a file by the same name-

    --
    , Mar 4, 2005