    Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    photo importing programs offer to do this?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 12, 2006

  2. Ron Hunter

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch mode,
    > and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all photo
    > importing programs offer to do this?

    Exifer for Windows will do this, and its free:
    http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

    As for why all programs don't offer this option, the only answer I have is
    that what seems obvious now may not have been so obvious in the early days
    of designing the software.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Ron Hunter

    bugbear Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    > mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    > photo importing programs offer to do this?

    It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    create date.

    As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    that the file is a photograph, taken
    by a camera at a particular time is not important.

    On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Dec 12, 2006
  4. Ron Hunter

    Bruce Uttley Guest

    Jhead version 2.6 will do this with the '-ft' option. You
    can download this command line driven program that will
    manipulate the non-image parts of JPEG files with Exif data
    from: www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead

    Bruce Uttley, Dec 12, 2006
  5. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch mode,
    >> and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all photo
    >> importing programs offer to do this?

    > Exifer for Windows will do this, and its free:
    > http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
    >
    > As for why all programs don't offer this option, the only answer I have is
    > that what seems obvious now may not have been so obvious in the early days
    > of designing the software.

    Thanks. Have downloaded it and will give it a try.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 12, 2006
  6. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    >> mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    >> photo importing programs offer to do this?

    > It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    > to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    > create date.
    >
    > As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    > that the file is a photograph, taken
    > by a camera at a particular time is not important.
    >
    > On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    > "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.
    >
    > BugBear

    Well, the computer is MINE. The files are MINE, and if I want the dates
    to read something other than the date I uploaded the pictures, that's MY
    decision. I always run with administrator setting as I might want to
    actually DO something with my computer...
    sigh.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 12, 2006
  7. Ron Hunter

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > bugbear wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    >>> mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    >>> photo importing programs offer to do this?

    >> It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    >> to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    >> create date.
    >>
    >> As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    >> that the file is a photograph, taken
    >> by a camera at a particular time is not important.
    >>
    >> On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    >> "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > Well, the computer is MINE. The files are MINE, and if I want the dates
    > to read something other than the date I uploaded the pictures, that's MY
    > decision. I always run with administrator setting as I might want to
    > actually DO something with my computer...
    > sigh.

    On my canon, if I use the camera and scanner wizard to access the file,
    date shown is current date.
    If I view in windows explorer or use a card reader, the file date/time
    is same as exif data, so for cameras that behave like the canon, in
    winxp it will depend on how card is accessed.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 13, 2006
  8. Ron Hunter

    Eugene Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > bugbear wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    >>> mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    >>> photo importing programs offer to do this?

    >> It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    >> to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    >> create date.
    >>
    >> As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    >> that the file is a photograph, taken
    >> by a camera at a particular time is not important.
    >>
    >> On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    >> "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > Well, the computer is MINE. The files are MINE, and if I want the dates
    > to read something other than the date I uploaded the pictures, that's MY
    > decision. I always run with administrator setting as I might want to
    > actually DO something with my computer...
    > sigh.

    For backup software/scripts that looks at those dates. Also sometimes
    copying/moving the files will set those dates as well so your going to have
    to constantly check/reset those dates, then if you copy the files to a
    backup drive you have to reset them again. Wouldn't it be less work to
    just view the column which corresponds to the exif date in your file
    manager?
    Eugene, Dec 13, 2006
  9. Ron Hunter

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Eugene
    <> wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    > > bugbear wrote:
    > >>
    > >> It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    > >> to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    > >> create date.

    Huh? How would this possibly corrupt anything?

    > >> As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    > >> that the file is a photograph, taken
    > >> by a camera at a particular time is not important.

    No, but as far as the human system is concerned, it could be very
    important

    > >> On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    > >> "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.

    Not if they're "his" files according to the OS's ownership permissions.

    > >> BugBear

    > > Well, the computer is MINE. The files are MINE, and if I want the dates
    > > to read something other than the date I uploaded the pictures, that's MY
    > > decision. I always run with administrator setting as I might want to
    > > actually DO something with my computer...
    > > sigh.

    > For backup software/scripts that looks at those dates.

    A _competent_ backup software looks at backup bits "set" or "not set",
    or its backup catalog (or both). A competent backup program does not
    *ever* rely on dates, as it knows that often files get moved into
    places that they didn't exist previously, even if the file itself did,
    so therefore the dates may not correspond in any meaningful way.

    If a today someone gives me a copy of a file dated three days ago, or I
    change the date on one of my files (which should automatically "set"
    the backup bit), or copy a file to my hard drive that existed only on
    my laptop, no decent backup program would miss that, even though the
    file existed previously to my latest backup. Or if I actually restored
    a previously backed up version of a file that had changed and had
    subsequently been backed up again since that change. Or... or... or...
    All of these would be recognized as whether or not they need to be (or
    had been) backed up by a competent backup program, totally independent
    of file dates. Even if I backed up 10 minutes ago.

    > Also sometimes
    > copying/moving the files will set those dates as well so your going to have
    > to constantly check/reset those dates,

    A competent OS allows you to copy files (including date and time of
    creation and modification). As in "duplicates exactly". It _doesn't_
    create a new file and move the internal data into it while leaving
    other critical bits of the data (such as creation and modification
    times) behind. Mac OS does this automatically. *nix does it with the
    -p flag for CP (which also should reset the "last access" flag). The
    new file is an exact duplicate of the old one, with the backup bit
    cleared.

    > then if you copy the files to a
    > backup drive you have to reset them again.

    Again, a competent OS wouldn't make YOU worry about this. A *copy* is
    a *copy* - an exact clone, down to the very last piece of data with the
    possible exception of the backup bits or permissions (if someone else
    than the original owner is copying it in the latter case) and last
    access time (which may get set to the creation time on some OS's or
    with some utilities).

    > Wouldn't it be less work to
    > just view the column which corresponds to the exif date in your file
    > manager?

    Why should he have to open his file manager? How about if he wants the
    OS to sort them in a file directory according to their date? Which OS
    has a complete set of EXIF data columns?

    There are many reasons why someone might want files with creation times
    matching internal data. Not all programs have access to the EXIF data,
    either. If the file date has been corrupted somehow, or, for instance,
    he's opened it in Photoshop and saved it as a different file (a
    frequent occurrance), it will have a different date and possibly be out
    of sequence with the rest of the shots of a series. Perhaps the
    program he might want to use for something (say, a slideshow program)
    will only access the files in the order they are listed in the file
    dialog, according to how the OS sorts them.

    If it's objectionable to you, by all means don't do it with your own
    files, but don't come up with non-valid, scare-tactic arguments ("It'll
    corrupt the file system", "Backup program won't work properly", etc.)
    as to why it _shouldn't_ be done by someone else who has reason to do
    it and the wherewithal to want to find out how.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Ron Hunter

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <121220061752277691%>, Ken Lucke
    <> wrote:
    > times) behind. Mac OS does this automatically. *nix does it with the
    > -p flag for CP (which also should reset the "last access" flag). The

    oops, typo error - that should be "cp" not "CP".

    I've aliased "cp -p" to "cpx" (for "CoPy eXactly") on my own system,
    and I rarely ever think to use "cp" in its plain form.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 13, 2006
  11. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Eugene wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> bugbear wrote:
    >>> It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    >>> to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    >>> create date.
    >>>
    >>> As far as a filing system is concerned, the fact
    >>> that the file is a photograph, taken
    >>> by a camera at a particular time is not important.
    >>>
    >>> On some operating systems, setting a files createdate
    >>> "arbitrairily" requires high level priveleges.
    >>>
    >>> BugBear

    >> Well, the computer is MINE. The files are MINE, and if I want the dates
    >> to read something other than the date I uploaded the pictures, that's MY
    >> decision. I always run with administrator setting as I might want to
    >> actually DO something with my computer...
    >> sigh.

    > For backup software/scripts that looks at those dates. Also sometimes
    > copying/moving the files will set those dates as well so your going to have
    > to constantly check/reset those dates, then if you copy the files to a
    > backup drive you have to reset them again. Wouldn't it be less work to
    > just view the column which corresponds to the exif date in your file
    > manager?

    IF the file manager would display that column for pictures, it would
    help, but then my photo organizer (PSE3) doesn't check the EXIF date
    either. To me, for organization purposes, it is the date the picture
    was taken that is important, NOT when I managed to get it on my laptop,
    or the date I got home and transferred it to my desktop. Darn confusing
    when trying to find a picture by the date it was taken.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 13, 2006
  12. Ron Hunter

    Richard H. Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > IF the file manager would display that column for pictures, it would
    > help, but then my photo organizer (PSE3) doesn't check the EXIF date
    > either. To me, for organization purposes, it is the date the picture
    > was taken that is important, NOT when I managed to get it on my laptop,
    > or the date I got home and transferred it to my desktop. Darn confusing
    > when trying to find a picture by the date it was taken.

    Hi, Ron.

    Odd. I seem to recall that PSE3 does support EXIF dates. PSE4
    certainly does. The whole timeline bar on the top of the organizer
    screen is based on it. In fact, I couldn't get it to ignore EXIF if I
    wanted to.

    I also find it useful to sync the dates. If the other tool recommended
    doesn't fit the bill, there's always exiftool, a Perl-based tool with a
    command-line interface.

    Since Windows Explorer doesn't read EXIF in RAW files, I find it's
    useful to sync the filesystem date. During my workflow, tags are added
    to the RAW file, which updates the filesystem Modify_Date, so
    re-sync'ing the dates fixes this. (FYI, there's also the Create_Date
    timestamp, which isn't normally visible and doesn't need to be sync'd.)

    Also, when shooting with multiple cameras, you're dependent on timestamp
    to keep the images interleaved in sequence. When sharing files with a
    3rd-party (even JPEGs), it's easier to have them sort by the date in
    Explorer than explain how to turn on the display columns for Date_Taken.

    There's only a slight hazard in tweaking the dates, as you can't quickly
    tell which of two versions was newer, if you had more than one copy.

    FWIW,
    Richard
    Richard H., Dec 13, 2006
  13. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Richard H. wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> IF the file manager would display that column for pictures, it would
    >> help, but then my photo organizer (PSE3) doesn't check the EXIF date
    >> either. To me, for organization purposes, it is the date the picture
    >> was taken that is important, NOT when I managed to get it on my
    >> laptop, or the date I got home and transferred it to my desktop. Darn
    >> confusing when trying to find a picture by the date it was taken.

    > Hi, Ron.
    >
    > Odd. I seem to recall that PSE3 does support EXIF dates. PSE4
    > certainly does. The whole timeline bar on the top of the organizer
    > screen is based on it. In fact, I couldn't get it to ignore EXIF if I
    > wanted to.
    >
    > I also find it useful to sync the dates. If the other tool recommended
    > doesn't fit the bill, there's always exiftool, a Perl-based tool with a
    > command-line interface.
    >
    > Since Windows Explorer doesn't read EXIF in RAW files, I find it's
    > useful to sync the filesystem date. During my workflow, tags are added
    > to the RAW file, which updates the filesystem Modify_Date, so
    > re-sync'ing the dates fixes this. (FYI, there's also the Create_Date
    > timestamp, which isn't normally visible and doesn't need to be sync'd.)
    >
    > Also, when shooting with multiple cameras, you're dependent on timestamp
    > to keep the images interleaved in sequence. When sharing files with a
    > 3rd-party (even JPEGs), it's easier to have them sort by the date in
    > Explorer than explain how to turn on the display columns for Date_Taken.
    >
    > There's only a slight hazard in tweaking the dates, as you can't quickly
    > tell which of two versions was newer, if you had more than one copy.
    >
    > FWIW,
    > Richard

    Windows XP offers access to the 'last accessed' date, so it is possible
    to see which was changed, if one keeps copies in different locations.

    As for PSE3, if it offers keeping files by EXIF date, I haven't found
    that setting, but that is possible as there are a LOT of settings in
    that program.
    Maybe I should put PSE5 on my Christmas list...
    Ron Hunter, Dec 13, 2006
  14. Ron Hunter

    Eugene Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:

    >> For backup software/scripts that looks at those dates.

    > A _competent_ backup software looks at backup bits "set" or "not set",
    > or its backup catalog (or both). A competent backup program does not
    > *ever* rely on dates, as it knows that often files get moved into
    > places that they didn't exist previously, even if the file itself did,
    > so therefore the dates may not correspond in any meaningful way.

    Most backup software will let you select files based on attributes such as
    dates as well. I use the file date in a simple script to copy files to a
    USB drive

    > If a today someone gives me a copy of a file dated three days ago, or I
    > change the date on one of my files (which should automatically "set"
    > the backup bit), or copy a file to my hard drive that existed only on
    > my laptop, no decent backup program would miss that, even though the
    > file existed previously to my latest backup. Or if I actually restored
    > a previously backed up version of a file that had changed and had
    > subsequently been backed up again since that change. Or... or... or...
    > All of these would be recognized as whether or not they need to be (or
    > had been) backed up by a competent backup program, totally independent
    > of file dates. Even if I backed up 10 minutes ago.
    >
    >> Also sometimes
    >> copying/moving the files will set those dates as well so your going to
    >> have to constantly check/reset those dates,

    > A competent OS allows you to copy files (including date and time of
    > creation and modification). As in "duplicates exactly". It _doesn't_
    > create a new file and move the internal data into it while leaving
    > other critical bits of the data (such as creation and modification
    > times) behind. Mac OS does this automatically. *nix does it with the
    > -p flag for CP (which also should reset the "last access" flag). The
    > new file is an exact duplicate of the old one, with the backup bit
    > cleared.
    >
    >> then if you copy the files to a
    >> backup drive you have to reset them again.

    > Again, a competent OS wouldn't make YOU worry about this. A *copy* is
    > a *copy* - an exact clone, down to the very last piece of data with the
    > possible exception of the backup bits or permissions (if someone else
    > than the original owner is copying it in the latter case) and last
    > access time (which may get set to the creation time on some OS's or
    > with some utilities).

    Try using windows XP . I tried to copy files from old cds to my work laptop
    and burn them to a dvd. Well even though I would tell it to copy the file
    attributes it would reset the directory dates to current, then if I copied
    from another cd and the same directory existed it would copy the different
    files and reset the rest. xcopy and robocopy.

    >> Wouldn't it be less work to
    >> just view the column which corresponds to the exif date in your file
    >> manager?

    > Why should he have to open his file manager? How about if he wants the
    > OS to sort them in a file directory according to their date? Which OS
    > has a complete set of EXIF data columns?
    >
    > There are many reasons why someone might want files with creation times
    > matching internal data. Not all programs have access to the EXIF data,
    > either. If the file date has been corrupted somehow, or, for instance,
    > he's opened it in Photoshop and saved it as a different file (a
    > frequent occurrance), it will have a different date and possibly be out
    > of sequence with the rest of the shots of a series. Perhaps the
    > program he might want to use for something (say, a slideshow program)
    > will only access the files in the order they are listed in the file
    > dialog, according to how the OS sorts them.

    Windoze explorer will let you view the date taken, as well a Konqueror and
    natulis under KDE and Gnome.

    Eugene, Dec 14, 2006
  15. Ron Hunter

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Eugene
    <> wrote:

    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    > >>
    > >> For backup software/scripts that looks at those dates.

    > > A _competent_ backup software looks at backup bits "set" or "not set",
    > > or its backup catalog (or both). A competent backup program does not
    > > *ever* rely on dates, as it knows that often files get moved into
    > > places that they didn't exist previously, even if the file itself did,
    > > so therefore the dates may not correspond in any meaningful way.
    > >

    > Most backup software will let you select files based on attributes such as
    > dates as well. I use the file date in a simple script to copy files to a
    > USB drive

    "Will let you" and "as well" != "rely on"

    > > Again, a competent OS wouldn't make YOU worry about this. A *copy* is
    > > a *copy* - an exact clone, down to the very last piece of data with the
    > > possible exception of the backup bits or permissions (if someone else
    > > than the original owner is copying it in the latter case) and last
    > > access time (which may get set to the creation time on some OS's or
    > > with some utilities).
    > >

    > Try using windows XP .

    I have, when absolutely forced to by circumstances which I was unable
    to control.

    > I tried to copy files from old cds to my work laptop
    > and burn them to a dvd. Well even though I would tell it to copy the file
    > attributes it would reset the directory dates to current, then if I copied
    > from another cd and the same directory existed it would copy the different
    > files and reset the rest. xcopy and robocopy.

    Thank you for confirming my point. I said a _competent_ OS.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 14, 2006
  16. Message from bugbear:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    >> mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    >> photo importing programs offer to do this?

    > It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    > to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    > create date.

    I see at least one legitimate reason to want to change the EXIF date
    fields: when the travelling photographer forgot to adjust the time/date
    of the camera to the new time zone. I'm back from Nepal and thanks
    Exifer I could correct my mistake and add 5:45 hours to the recorded time.

    --
    Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
    Philippe Noth, Dec 14, 2006
  17. Ron Hunter

    Eugene Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:

    > In article <>, Eugene
    > <> wrote:

    >> > A _competent_ backup software looks at backup bits "set" or "not set",
    >> > or its backup catalog (or both). A competent backup program does not
    >> > *ever* rely on dates, as it knows that often files get moved into
    >> > places that they didn't exist previously, even if the file itself did,
    >> > so therefore the dates may not correspond in any meaningful way.
    >> >

    >> Most backup software will let you select files based on attributes such
    >> as
    >> dates as well. I use the file date in a simple script to copy files to a
    >> USB drive

    > "Will let you" and "as well" != "rely on"
    >

    >> > Again, a competent OS wouldn't make YOU worry about this. A *copy* is
    >> > a *copy* - an exact clone, down to the very last piece of data with the
    >> > possible exception of the backup bits or permissions (if someone else
    >> > than the original owner is copying it in the latter case) and last
    >> > access time (which may get set to the creation time on some OS's or
    >> > with some utilities).
    >> >

    >> Try using windows XP .

    > I have, when absolutely forced to by circumstances which I was unable
    > to control.
    >
    >> I tried to copy files from old cds to my work laptop
    >> and burn them to a dvd. Well even though I would tell it to copy the
    >> file attributes it would reset the directory dates to current, then if I
    >> copied from another cd and the same directory existed it would copy the
    >> different
    >> files and reset the rest. xcopy and robocopy.

    > Thank you for confirming my point. I said a _competent_ OS.

    Yes, I don't use it either but a lot of people still don't know any better.
    Xp can display the exif 'date picture taken' as it called in windoze
    exploder. Konqueror (KDE on Linux) displays it as well as kphotoalbum,
    digikam, etc. There are also several free picture organizing and viewing
    programs for windows so there is no need to play with the file creation
    dates.
    BTW rsync is what looks at the file dates on my Linux laptop to decide which
    to copy to my Linux server.
    Eugene, Dec 14, 2006
  18. Ron Hunter

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes:

    > It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    > to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    > create date.

    The date normally used is the modify date, not the create date, and it's
    routine for files to be copied from another device, preserving the
    modify dates from the original files. That operation requires the
    ability to set the modify dates on the targets.

    I'm believe jhead -ft works on Windows; it certainly works fine on Linux
    and other Unix variants.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.
    Bruce Lewis, Dec 15, 2006
  19. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Philippe Noth wrote:
    > Message from bugbear:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of software that will do this, preferable in batch
    >>> mode, and free? Seems like such an obvious thing, so why don't all
    >>> photo importing programs offer to do this?

    >> It might be considered a corruption of the filing system
    >> to have a file with a create date that isn't the file's true
    >> create date.

    > I see at least one legitimate reason to want to change the EXIF date
    > fields: when the travelling photographer forgot to adjust the time/date
    > of the camera to the new time zone. I'm back from Nepal and thanks
    > Exifer I could correct my mistake and add 5:45 hours to the recorded time.

    When I travel, I normally take my laptop, and dump the pictures to it
    daily, but if I only take a few on a given day, I might not transfer
    them. This gets the file and EXIF dates out of sync, and my organizer
    program seems only to look at the file date, making its calendar
    function pretty much useless. Worse, when I add a picture from some
    other source (pictures sent by friends, or scans), the file date needs
    to be adjusted most of the time. Hey, they are MY files, on MY
    computer, I can put whatever date I WANT on them, right?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2006
  20. Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Eugene wrote:
    > Ken Lucke wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Eugene
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Most backup software will let you select files based on attributes such
    >>> as
    >>> dates as well. I use the file date in a simple script to copy files to a
    >>> USB drive

    >> "Will let you" and "as well" != "rely on"

    >>> Try using windows XP .

    >> I have, when absolutely forced to by circumstances which I was unable
    >> to control.
    >>
    >>> I tried to copy files from old cds to my work laptop
    >>> and burn them to a dvd. Well even though I would tell it to copy the
    >>> file attributes it would reset the directory dates to current, then if I
    >>> copied from another cd and the same directory existed it would copy the
    >>> different
    >>> files and reset the rest. xcopy and robocopy.

    >> Thank you for confirming my point. I said a _competent_ OS.
    >>

    > Yes, I don't use it either but a lot of people still don't know any better.
    > Xp can display the exif 'date picture taken' as it called in windoze
    > exploder. Konqueror (KDE on Linux) displays it as well as kphotoalbum,
    > digikam, etc. There are also several free picture organizing and viewing
    > programs for windows so there is no need to play with the file creation
    > dates.
    > BTW rsync is what looks at the file dates on my Linux laptop to decide which
    > to copy to my Linux server.

    Thanks for pointing out that Windows XP can display the EXIF date in
    Windows Explorer. I never noticed that check box before. Maybe because
    they hid it three levels deep in the menus....
    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2006