  1. brenda

    brenda Guest

    How do I make a new email address my main email using NTL
    brenda, Sep 5, 2007

  2. brenda

    meerkat Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    news:W3uDi.13020$...
    > How do I make a new email address my main email using NTL

    Tools/Accounts/New account.
    meerkat, Sep 5, 2007

  3. brenda

    brenda Guest

    You cannot change the primary account with NTL, you can change any
    additional but not the primary.

    brenda, Sep 5, 2007
  4. brenda

    ded Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > You cannot change the primary account with NTL, you can change any
    > additional but not the primary.
    >
    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >> > How do I make a new email address my main email using NTL
    >> >

    >> Tools/Accounts/New account.

    Explain exactly what it is you want to achieve..

    I'll start with a guess or two.

    If you mean Outlook Express and posting to NG's, you can use any
    email addy in the "from" and "reply" filelds.
    Tools>Accounts>News Tab
    Click to highlight your NTL server
    Click the "Properties" button
    Change the entries
    Click "Apply" then "OK"

    If as an example, you use the "Send link by Email" option for
    a website, in the ensuing email dialog you can use any email
    account from the drop down that is configured into OE.
    All you have to do is configure the required email account
    into outlook express or client of your choice.

    How to configure NTL accounts into Outlook Express
    http://tinyurl.com/2y8o29

    How to modify and general email help
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email.php
    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  5. brenda

    brenda Guest

    With NTL / Virgin you are allowed a primary email account plus about 10
    other email accounts.

    You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other email
    accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.

    Lets say the primary email is plus
    another 10 emails then the primary cannot be changed, how do I do this.

    brenda, Sep 5, 2007
  6. brenda wrote:
    > With NTL / Virgin you are allowed a primary email account plus about 10
    > other email accounts.
    >
    > You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other email
    > accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.
    >
    > Lets say the primary email is plus
    > another 10 emails then the primary cannot be changed, how do I do this.

    You probably need to close your present account and open a new one to
    change the primary mail account. I'm not an NTL'er, but that's the way
    it usually works.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 5, 2007
  7. brenda

    Stanley Guest

    Stanley, Sep 5, 2007
  8. brenda

    old man Guest

    You cannot change your primary account, thats the one assigned to you by
    your ISP, only they can, maybe, change it

    old man, Sep 5, 2007
  9. brenda

    Gordon Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > With NTL / Virgin you are allowed a primary email account plus about 10
    > other email accounts.
    >
    > You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other
    > email
    > accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.
    >
    > Lets say the primary email is plus
    > another 10 emails then the primary cannot be changed, how do I do this.

    You need to contact NTL - only they can do that.
    Gordon, Sep 5, 2007
  10. brenda wrote:

    > You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other
    > email accounts,

    and

    > all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.

    Seems to me you have answered you own question. "You are not allowed to
    change the primary email"...

    If you don't want to use the primary ID, why not just put a block on it
    - or simply ignore it - and use another of your IDs as your 'main' ID?

    I would recommend you check the primary once in a while to see if the
    ISP sent you any system notices.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 5, 2007
  11. brenda

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:48:54 GMT, brenda wrote:

    >How do I make a new email address my main email using NTL

    Why wouldn't you ask in the exNTL and new VM newsgroups?

    virginmedia.support.e-mail

    Can't tell you what the exNTL groups are, as I am BY.

    Most likely you mean creating an alias for the primary account. Or
    adding an additional mailbox and creating an alias on that.

    Me
    why?, Sep 5, 2007
  12. brenda wrote:

    > You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other email
    > accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.

    Nice example of NTL-think. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 5, 2007
  13. On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:17:49 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > brenda wrote:
    >
    >> You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other
    >> email accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary
    >> email.

    > Nice example of NTL-think. :)

    Somehow reminds me of:-
    Man walked into a bar in Dublin, & asked for a pint of Guinness. "We're
    not open yet, sir" replied the barman. "Ok, when are you open?" asked the
    man. "Half an hour, sir" "Is it alright if I sit & read my paper till
    you are?" asked the man...."Certainly, sir. And would you be liking a
    pint of Guinness while you're waiting?" asked the barman. :)

    --
    Testing Ubuntu 7.10 'Gutsy' - Tribe 5
    William Poaster, Sep 5, 2007
  14. brenda

    ded Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    > With NTL / Virgin you are allowed a primary email account plus about 10
    > other email accounts.
    >
    > You are not allowed to change the primary email but you can the other
    > email
    > accounts, all I want to know is how do I change the primary email.
    >
    > Lets say the primary email is plus
    > another 10 emails then the primary cannot be changed, how do I do this.

    I haven't got a clue what you are talking about, you fail totally to
    explain in what context you want to change it, so one last attempt
    to get something of any sense from you.

    You posted your messages to this group from Outlook Express,
    Do you mean in Outlook Express you want to change so that
    another email address is used by default rather than your NTL
    primary email address. Just post YES or NO.
    If it's yes to above we will supply instructions - though I've already
    posted instructions.....

    If it's nothing to do with OE, then try and give an example, a
    context in which you want to change it.

    ded, Sep 5, 2007
  15. brenda

    brenda Guest

    I am getting junk email by the load, my best bet is to create a new email
    address

    brenda, Sep 5, 2007
  16. brenda

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:28:53 GMT, brenda wrote:

    >I am getting junk email by the load, my best bet is to create a new email
    >address

    If you used the primary account mailbox name, sadly something a lot of
    people do you can't stop it. Adding an alias to it won't help much, you
    have to start applying filters / message rules in your mail application.

    If you are allowed to create another mailbox (as an ex BY user I can
    have 5 each with 3 aliases) do that then add an alias. Swap 'trusted'
    users on to the new address.

    You could leave the primary account just collecting the spam and
    automatically clear it out or not in case you get some valid mail.

    Another option is a mail only account from some place like
    www.1and1.co.uk 81p/month with, several base account addresses, spam and
    av scanning.

    Why wouldn't you ask in the exNTL and new VM newsgroups?

    virginmedia.support.e-mail

    Don't use it myself but I think lot of exBY people at least, use
    mailwasher with the bounce feature disabled.

    >> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:48:54 GMT, brenda wrote:
    >>
    >> >How do I make a new email address my main email using NTL
    >> >

    >> Why wouldn't you ask in the exNTL and new VM newsgroups?
    >>
    >> virginmedia.support.e-mail
    >>
    >> Can't tell you what the exNTL groups are, as I am BY.
    >>
    >> Most likely you mean creating an alias for the primary account. Or
    >> adding an additional mailbox and creating an alias on that.
    >>

    >> Me

    Me
    why?, Sep 5, 2007
  17. brenda

    ded Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >I am getting junk email by the load, my best bet is to create a new email
    > address
    >> Me

    Open Outlook Express
    Click: Tools>Accounts
    Click the "Mail" tab
    You will see your "primary" account listed
    Click on it once to highlight it
    Now click on the "Remove" button
    A prompt will appear asking if you are sure you want to remove it -
    Click "OK"

    Now click on the "Add" button, select "Mail"
    A dialog will appear, first enter your Name
    Then Click "Next" button
    Now enter one of the other NTL email address you now wish to use.
    Click "Next"
    In this next section are the NTL servers listing, they should already
    be inserted as you are replacing one NTL account with another.
    There are 3 listings:

    "My incoming mail server is a: POP3" (If POP3 is not listed use drop down
    to select it.)

    "Incoming mail (POP3) server:"
    Ensure "pop.ntlworld.com" is entered

    "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:"
    Ensure "smtp.ntlworld.com" is entered

    Click the "Next" button
    Now enter the username of the NTL email account you wish to use,
    just the username, not the full email address. (exclude @ntlworld.com)
    Enter the password
    Click "Next"
    Click the "Finish" button

    You now have another NTL email account as your "primary"
    (Anyone else reading, yes I know....)

    Now you're on your own
    ded, Sep 6, 2007
  18. brenda

    Gordon Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message news:fbogrf$5ka$...

    > "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >>I am getting junk email by the load, my best bet is to create a new email
    >> address
    >>> Me

    > Open Outlook Express
    > Click: Tools>Accounts
    > Click the "Mail" tab
    > You will see your "primary" account listed
    > Click on it once to highlight it
    > Now click on the "Remove" button
    > A prompt will appear asking if you are sure you want to remove it -
    > Click "OK"
    >
    > Now click on the "Add" button, select "Mail"

    All that's very well IF the email addresses the OP has are TRUE separate
    email addresses, and not just aliases of the master account - if they are
    aliases then the Op will still get all the email to the master account...
    Gordon, Sep 6, 2007
  19. brenda

    ded Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "ded" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am getting junk email by the load, my best bet is to create a new email
    >>> address
    >>>

    >> Open Outlook Express
    >> Click: Tools>Accounts
    >> Click the "Mail" tab
    >> You will see your "primary" account listed
    >> Click on it once to highlight it
    >> Now click on the "Remove" button
    >> A prompt will appear asking if you are sure you want to remove it -
    >> Click "OK"
    >>
    >> Now click on the "Add" button, select "Mail"

    > All that's very well IF the email addresses the OP has are TRUE separate
    > email addresses, and not just aliases of the master account - if they are
    > aliases then the Op will still get all the email to the master account...

    Indeed, but NTL'ers do get ten seperate email addresses, I'm giving up
    on Brenda, she is just too much hard work getting any sense out of her.
    ded, Sep 6, 2007