    --
    Denise

    ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Apr 17, 2007

  2. Denise wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >For an unknown reason, one of my hard drive icons has changed to a generic
    >icon in My Computer. Is there a way that I can change it back to the icon
    >of
    >a drive? I know how to change icons in Properties for a folder but there's
    >no option to change the icon in Properties for a drive.

    The only possibilities I can think of are:

    a) an autorun.inf file in the root of the drive, or
    b) corruption of the disk shell icon cache (unlikely, but Win95 used to
    suffer badly from this)

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Apr 17, 2007

  3. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for your suggestions. They nudged a memory of something that I did
    about a week ago. I have several ext hdds. They all give me the option to
    open the drive when I turn it on except for the one that had the generic
    drive icon. I thought that if I copied the "autorun" icon from one of the
    other drives and put it on the drive that wouldn't autorun, it would autorun.
    *blushing* I should have remembered that but it escaped me. I just removed
    the icon, rebooted and a drive icon is now there.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=, Apr 17, 2007
  4. Denise wrote:

    >Thanks for your suggestions. They nudged a memory of something that I did
    >about a week ago. I have several ext hdds. They all give me the option to
    >open the drive when I turn it on except for the one that had the generic
    >drive icon. I thought that if I copied the "autorun" icon from one of the
    >other drives and put it on the drive that wouldn't autorun, it would
    >autorun.
    > blushing I should have remembered that but it escaped me. I just removed
    >the icon, rebooted and a drive icon is now there.

    I thought the autorun most likely, and it is sometimes very useful to be
    able to dictate what icon we get.

    Glad we were able to help you fix it.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]