    Any ideas how to remove the "windows (default)" option from the start
    up list or to make the other windows option the default?

    Thanks

    Rats, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Rats

    Rats Guest

    On Jan 28, 2:35 pm, Rats <> wrote:
    > I recently installed a fresh copy of XP on a new computer. However on
    > starting the system up I am presented with two windows options to
    > select from a dos screen. One just says "windows" while the other is
    > "windows (default)". The default one is highlighted and if you don't
    > change it in time (there is a 30 second timer running) it attempts to
    > launch it but fails with some missing file error. If you select just
    > windows by itself then windows starts up successfully.
    >
    > Any ideas how to remove the "windows (default)" option from the start
    > up list or to make the other windows option the default?
    >
    > Thanks

    Don't worry. I figured it out. The wonders of google. ;-)

    For anyone else who needs to know. It's all here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

    Rats, Jan 28, 2010

  3. Rats

    Enkidu Guest

    Rats wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 2:35 pm, Rats <> wrote:
    >> I recently installed a fresh copy of XP on a new computer. However
    >> on starting the system up I am presented with two windows options
    >> to select from a dos screen. One just says "windows" while the
    >> other is "windows (default)". The default one is highlighted and if
    >> you don't change it in time (there is a 30 second timer running) it
    >> attempts to launch it but fails with some missing file error. If
    >> you select just windows by itself then windows starts up
    >> successfully.
    >>
    >> Any ideas how to remove the "windows (default)" option from the
    >> start up list or to make the other windows option the default?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Don't worry. I figured it out. The wonders of google. ;-)
    >
    > For anyone else who needs to know. It's all here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

    I think that TweakUI will also allow you to edit the file, but I'm not sure.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 28, 2010
  4. In article <4b6119e1$>,
    says...

    > Rats wrote:
    > > On Jan 28, 2:35 pm, Rats <> wrote:
    > >> I recently installed a fresh copy of XP on a new computer. However
    > >> on starting the system up I am presented with two windows options
    > >> to select from a dos screen. One just says "windows" while the
    > >> other is "windows (default)". The default one is highlighted and if
    > >> you don't change it in time (there is a 30 second timer running) it
    > >> attempts to launch it but fails with some missing file error. If
    > >> you select just windows by itself then windows starts up
    > >> successfully.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas how to remove the "windows (default)" option from the
    > >> start up list or to make the other windows option the default?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    > > Don't worry. I figured it out. The wonders of google. ;-)
    > >
    > > For anyone else who needs to know. It's all here:
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
    > >

    > I think that TweakUI will also allow you to edit the file, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    In %windir%/system32/ there is a program bootcfg.exe .

    You have to run it from a command prompt - doesn't work with the start
    -> run dialog, you just get a black flash thataway :)

    Iirc it has built in help - been a good long while since I used it.

    And it's really easy to mess up, by the way. Make absolutely doubly and
    triply sure you don't delete the entry for the startup windows that you
    actually *want*.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 28, 2010