Changing default paths

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Roberto Hernández, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. How can I change the default path for the Documents and Settings and Program
    Files to other partition?
    Roberto Hernández, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 16, 2005

  3. Ultimately, it's a registry hack, and a fairly extensive one, to get ALL
    your stuff moved. Look in HKLM\Software\Micrsoft\WindowsNT\Shell, and
    Explorer, if remember correctly.

    All the usual caveats about editing the registry apply, in spades. Be
    careful, make backups, do at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  4. That will get My Documents, but leaves a whole lot else behind. :(

    One of the features I've asked for moving forward is a default of Documents
    and Settings being on a separate partition if one is available. This
    simplifies recovery in the event of an ugly mess or malware event that
    requires a rebuild.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Roberto:
    Use TweakUI64.
    It is an independent x64 version of MS tweakui.
    This is their web page:
    http://neosmart.net/Products/TweakUI64.htm
    And this is the download link:
    http://neosmart.net/downloads/TweakUI_64Bit.msi
    Carlos

    Roberto:
    Te conviene usar la versión 64 bits del PowerToy TweakUI.
    Hay unos tipos que la han desarrollado, o sea, no es oficial de Microsoft.
    Arriba en este e-mail te he colocado los links.
    Puedes cambiar no sólo las rutas por defecto sino infinidad de cosas, como
    con el viejo TweakUI de 32 bits.
    Carlos (de Argentina)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Roberto Hernández

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    > Ultimately, it's a registry hack, and a fairly extensive one, to get ALL
    > your stuff moved. Look in HKLM\Software\Micrsoft\WindowsNT\Shell, and
    > Explorer, if remember correctly.
    >
    > All the usual caveats about editing the registry apply, in spades. Be
    > careful, make backups, do at your own risk, YMMV, etc.

    Is it possible to set this paths in specific text file _before_ installing
    Windows XP x64?

    Thanks, Roman
    roman modic, Nov 17, 2005
  7. It's technically possible, using automated deployment tools, but not
    trivial. This is something I'd suggest you ask in a deployment newsgroup.
    There's a client deployment newsgroup that's probably your best bet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Hello Roman,
    For Doucments and Settings you can use unattended settings during
    installation:

    ProfilesDir
    Specifies the location of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family profiles.

    Syntax ProfilesDir = path_to_profile_folder
    Value path_to_profile_folder
    Default Value "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings"
    Example ProfilesDir = "%SYSTEMROOT%\Profiles"

    Comments This entry is useful if you require new installations to use the
    same profile folder as Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000. This entry is valid
    only on clean installations of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family.
    Setup ignores this entry during upgrades.
    The specified directory can contain an environment variable such as
    %SYSTEMDRIVE% or %SYSTEMROOT%. Enclose path_to_profile_folder in quotation
    marks if it is a long file name or if it contains an environment variable.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "roman modic" <>
    <Subject: Re: Changing default paths
    <Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:45:45 +0100
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hello!
    <
    <"Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    <> Ultimately, it's a registry hack, and a fairly extensive one, to get ALL
    <> your stuff moved. Look in HKLM\Software\Micrsoft\WindowsNT\Shell, and
    <> Explorer, if remember correctly.
    <>
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Nov 17, 2005
  9. The tricky part is getting a way to do that, since he can't boot except off
    the CD to do the install, and may not have 64-bit WinPE available. It could
    be done with RIS, but it's non-trivial if the network driver isn't one of
    those that's in the box. The storage drivers are a bit easier, you can even
    resort to F6 during the process.

    A good resource for this is:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/bddoverview.mspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Gracias.
    Funciona bien.

    Ahora lo que me gustaría es poder cambiar el directorio por defecto para
    instalación de nuevos programas "Program Files" y también los directorios
    temporales.

    Gracias.

    Roberto Hernández, Nov 17, 2005
  11. Roberto:
    Glad to hear that.
    About the Program Files folder relocation well... this is as far as I can get.
    Maybe the Microsoft nerds will help you.
    See ya.
    Carlos

    Roberto:
    Qué bueno que pudiste solucionar tu problema, aunque parcialmente.
    No te puedo ayudar con la reubicación de la carpeta Program Files.
    Quizás los muchachos de Microsoft sí.
    Nos vemos.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 18, 2005
  12. Roberto:
    Para los archivos temporales se me ocurre lo siguiente.
    Click con botón derecho en Mi PC, "Propiedades", "Opciones Avanzadas", click
    en "Variables de Entorno".
    Ahí parece que puedes reubicar los TEMP.
    Coméntame si funcionó.
    Carlos

    Roberto:
    It seems that the TEMP folders can be relocated by righclicking on "My PC",
    "Properties", "Advanced Properties" and click on "Environment Variables".
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 18, 2005
  13. THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! Can't believe I never spotted that. It's been
    driving me nuts cos my C drive was forever in need of free space and now
    defaulting to my larger drive is another little frustration out of the way.
    Thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlzdGFyb24=?=, Jan 8, 2006
  14. Hmm, ok, you are welcome. :)
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta