    Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

    "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
    It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"
    Alasdair Baxter, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Alasdair Baxter

    trout Guest

    Alasdair Baxter wrote:

    > I use Windows 2000. When I click on a hyperlink in most windows
    > programs, the hyperlink changes colour. Please, can someone tell me
    > where the memory for this colour change is stored and can it be
    > edited. I understand that the memory resets itself after a time; is
    > this so and what resets it?

    Perhaps, not helpful; but in 98x there's a "Colors" button on the
    General tab of Internet Options in the Control panel, where those
    settings can be edited.
    --
    "I don't know if 2000 is similar."
    trout, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Alasdair Baxter

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:42:45 -0700, trout wrote:

    >Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    >
    >> I use Windows 2000. When I click on a hyperlink in most windows
    >> programs, the hyperlink changes colour. Please, can someone tell me
    >> where the memory for this colour change is stored and can it be
    >> edited. I understand that the memory resets itself after a time; is
    >> this so and what resets it?

    > Perhaps, not helpful; but in 98x there's a "Colors" button on the
    >General tab of Internet Options in the Control panel, where those
    >settings can be edited.
    >--
    >"I don't know if 2000 is similar."

    It is.

    --
    "Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable
    from malice." -- Vernon Schryver
    Mara, Sep 18, 2003
  4. Alasdair Baxter

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:26:31 +0100, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

    >I use Windows 2000. When I click on a hyperlink in most windows

    Should not make a difference what OS. 'Most' is rather general so it can
    be assumed it's any browser and apps like Excel and Word?

    >programs, the hyperlink changes colour. Please, can someone tell me

    It's meant to do that. Defaults are unvisited links blue,
    active/selected red and visited purple.

    >where the memory for this colour change is stored and can it be

    It's not in memory but if everybody plays nice the defaults are set by
    the program authors following some guidelines on UA (where user agent is
    a browser, printer or other display device)

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html
    This style sheet describes the typical formatting of all HTML 4.0
    ([HTML40]) elements based on extensive research into current UA
    practice. Developers are encouraged to use it as a default style sheet
    in their implementations.

    From this you can see hyperlinks have an underline -
    A[href] { text-decoration: underline }

    For the visited / link colors see
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#link-pseudo-classes

    Check the interesting comment -

    Note. After a certain amount of time, user agents may choose to return a
    visited link to the (unvisited) ':link' state.

    So it may be dependant on the browser (most common UA) and the person
    that wrote the program, clearing out the history / cache.

    >edited. I understand that the memory resets itself after a time; is
    >this so and what resets it?

    Look at history settings , in whatever app you are using. In MSIE you
    can clear the History and Cache this then looks like you had not visited
    a page.

    For MSIE and may the default for MS apps,

    Tools / Options / General Tab / Colors / Links , this will change the
    colors but not have an affect on the history / length of time it
    changes.

    Me
    why?, Sep 18, 2003
  5. Alasdair Baxter

    Jethro Guest

    trout wrote:

    > Alasdair Baxter wrote:
    >

    >>I use Windows 2000. When I click on a hyperlink in most windows
    >>programs, the hyperlink changes colour. Please, can someone tell me
    >>where the memory for this colour change is stored and can it be
    >>edited. I understand that the memory resets itself after a time; is
    >>this so and what resets it?

    > Perhaps, not helpful; but in 98x there's a "Colors" button on the
    > General tab of Internet Options in the Control panel, where those
    > settings can be edited.

    yup thats where u set it at using ie 6.0
    --
    Jethroz weak site http://ib34swm.tripod.com i b 40 now
    ICQ#: 143233167 http://web.icq.com/wwp?Uin=143233167
    Jethro, Sep 18, 2003