    the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, May 23, 2012

  2. In message <jpi15a$hoq$>, David Woolley
    <> writes
    >Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another
    >>number (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number
    >>may need to be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to
    >>change the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-(
    >>Does anyone offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    >This is fairly standard in the non-VoIP 08xxx, 09xxx and personal
    >number markets.

    I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
    me to a company which does provide this, please?

    >It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.

    I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
    I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
    described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
    provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
    forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
    control panel.

    Does such a thing exist?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, May 23, 2012

  3. On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <> wrote:

    > We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
    > (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
    > be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >
    > It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
    > the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    > offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
    divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.

    It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
    facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
    change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.

    On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
    automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
    to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):

    0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#

    Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
    command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
    lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 23, 2012
  4. Malcolm Loades

    Graham. Guest

    On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:01:49 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <> wrote:
    >
    >> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
    >> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
    >> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >>
    >> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
    >> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    >> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    >A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
    >divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
    >
    >It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
    >facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
    >change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
    >
    >On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
    >automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
    >to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
    >
    >0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
    >
    >Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
    >command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
    >lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.

    Can you get that facility on non-featureline lines?
    I have a "Featureline Compact" line here that is permanently diverted
    in that way (long story, don't ask).

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 23, 2012
  5. On Wed, 23 May 2012 19:24:32 +0100, Graham. <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:01:49 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
    >>> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
    >>> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >>>
    >>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
    >>> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    >>> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    >> A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
    >> divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
    >>
    >> It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
    >> facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
    >> change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
    >>
    >> On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
    >> automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
    >> to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
    >>
    >> 0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
    >>
    >> Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
    >> command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
    >> lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.

    > Can you get that facility on non-featureline lines?
    > I have a "Featureline Compact" line here that is permanently diverted
    > in that way (long story, don't ask).

    Mine is a bog standard POTS line with no other options or features. It costs
    £5.40 per month.

    If you ask a retail sales rep about remote access forwarding they won't have
    a clue because this product is usually sold for Business lines. So ask for it
    by its correct name of "Smart Divert" and insist they look it up.

    http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7699/~/how-do-i-use-smart-divert?

    From its location, that page implies it is a "Business Calling Feature" but
    in fact it's available to all subscribers.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 23, 2012
  6. In message <>, Anthony R. Gold
    <> writes
    >On Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57:23 +0100, Malcolm Loades <> wrote:
    >
    >> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
    >> (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
    >> be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >>
    >> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
    >> the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    >> offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    >A low-tech solution is BT's Smart Divert service that offers three levels of
    >divert for: all calls; calls when busy and calls unanswered after 15 seconds.
    >
    >It gives the ability to set a different number for each level and the
    >facility to dial a BT access number to turn the services on and off, to
    >change the destination numbers for the diversions and to query the settings.
    >
    >On the negative side the dialed string is quite long, so best to have some
    >automation available to send it without error. For example this is my string
    >to forward all calls (where n is a numeral I do not wish to publish here):
    >
    >0207nnnnnnnP*44*nnnn*0207nnnnnnn*020nnnnnnnn#
    >
    >Where the first number before the P pause is the access number, 44 is the
    >command code to forward all calls, then a PIN, the number to be forwarded and
    >lastly the number to receive the forwarded calls.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    After lots more Googling with varying search strings I finally came upon
    http://tinyurl.com/d6t3f8c who offer "Telephone Control to allow change
    of diverts via Telephone - Simply call a control number, enter account
    details, and switch diverts to pre-set telephone numbers or voicemail".
    It is limited to 7 pre-sets but we can live with that.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, May 23, 2012
  7. Malcolm Loades

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <JUN2cfJ$>, Malcolm Loades
    <> scribeth thus
    >In message <jpi15a$hoq$>, David Woolley
    ><> writes
    >>Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >>> We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another
    >>>number (this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number
    >>>may need to be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >>> It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to
    >>>change the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-(
    >>>Does anyone offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?

    >>This is fairly standard in the non-VoIP 08xxx, 09xxx and personal
    >>number markets.

    >I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
    >me to a company which does provide this, please?
    >
    >>It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.

    >I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
    >I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
    >described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
    >provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
    >forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
    >control panel.
    >
    >Does such a thing exist?
    >
    >Malcolm

    We now use VoIPfone for our main incomer over a cable net service and I
    have asked them this and they are actively looking into it after
    receiving a lot of requests!....

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, May 23, 2012
  8. Malcolm Loades wrote:

    > I've googled lots on this but can't find such a service, can you point
    > me to a company which does provide this, please?

    Flextel is one of them, but I think there are several, so I think we
    must be at cross purposes somewhere, if you have failed to find them.

    >> It should be easy to program for yourself on Asterisk.

    > I read this group because I use a simple VOIP system at home - Fritzbox!
    > I know nothing of asterisk and my employer who wants the capability
    > described does not use VOIP. I simply thought that there must be a VOIP
    > provider out there who can supply a VOIP number which can then have it's
    > forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
    > control panel.
    >
    > Does such a thing exist?

    Why does it have to be in the SIP part of the network?
    David Woolley, May 23, 2012

    http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif

    > forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
    > control panel.

    If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
    can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.
    David Woodhouse, May 27, 2012
  10. On Sun, 27 May 2012 15:16:53 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > "David Woodhouse" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 11:51 +0100, Malcolm Loades wrote:
    >> I simply thought that there must be a VOIP provider out there who can
    >> supply a VOIP number which can then have it's

    > http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
    >
    >> forwarding changed by DTMF from a handset as well as the usual web based
    >> control panel.

    > If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
    > can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.
    >

    > Well not quite as simple as that. Multiple handsets can register, but where
    > do the calls go?

    To whichever of those registered handsets is the first to pick up so accept
    the call. Each handset operator must know of any schedule for when they are
    "up" to respond to the incoming calls.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 27, 2012
  11. On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 16:09 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2012 15:16:53 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    > <> wrote:
    > > If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
    > > can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.

    No, *I* said that. I think Mark's message was entirely broken in its
    citations. Mark, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be grateful
    if you would please fix your newsreader or use a non-broken alternative.

    Mark said this bit:
    > > Well not quite as simple as that. Multiple handsets can register, but where
    > > do the calls go?

    If one handset *or* another registers, as I suggested, then it *is* as
    simple as that. The OP seemed to be suggesting that this was how they'd
    use it.

    If more than one handset is registered simultaneously, then the first to
    pick up wins as Anthony says:

    David Woodhouse, May 30, 2012
  12. On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:59:45 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    > "David Woodhouse" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 16:09 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 May 2012 15:16:53 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> If it's a VoIP service, you possibly don't even need "forwarding". You
    >>> can just have one handset registered to it, or another as you see fit.

    > No, *I* said that. I think Mark's message was entirely broken in its
    > citations. Mark, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be grateful
    > if you would please fix your newsreader or use a non-broken alternative.
    >
    > Que?

    The problem is that your newsreader is not adding quotation marks to material
    you are quoting. I have heard of a product called Quotefix that may help with
    this.

    > Mark said this bit:
    >>> Well not quite as simple as that. Multiple handsets can register, but
    >>> where
    >>> do the calls go?

    > If one handset *or* another registers, as I suggested, then it *is* as
    > simple as that. The OP seemed to be suggesting that this was how they'd
    > use it.
    >
    > If more than one handset is registered simultaneously, then the first to
    > pick up wins as Anthony says:
    >
    >> To whichever of those registered handsets is the first to pick up so
    >> accept
    >> the call. Each handset operator must know of any schedule for when they
    >> are
    >> "up" to respond to the incoming calls.

    > Alas it does not quite work like that with mine the call tends to go to the
    > last registered handset to call out.

    If an incoming call goes to just one device that suggests its placing that
    last call has caused all the other devices to become unregistered.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 30, 2012
  13. On Wed, 2012-05-30 at 18:59 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    > "David Woodhouse" <> wrote in message
    > > No, *I* said that. I think Mark's message was entirely broken in its
    > > citations. Mark, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would be
    > > grateful if you would please fix your newsreader or use a non-broken
    > > alternative.

    > Que?

    (I've fixed up the above citation, again).

    Mark,

    Have you ever tried reading back one of the messages that you have
    posted to this newsgroup, as it actually appears to others? It's
    impossible to tell what is *your* contribution, and what is simply a
    repetition of what has gone before.

    Perhaps you don't realise because your message editor isn't a "WYSIWYG"
    editor, and it shows colours or formatting or something that isn't
    really there in the message that actually gets sent?

    Take a look at http://david.woodhou.se/mark-msg-1.png and
    http://david.woodhou.se/mark-msg-2.png for example. Can you tell who
    actually said what? You might *remember* which bits you typed
    personally, I suppose. But what about someone else who's trying to make
    sense of it? It's almost completely unreadable.

    When replying to a news post or an email, you should cite only those
    parts of the previous message which are absolutely necessary for
    context, and make sure they are *clearly* marked as citations, usually
    by adding '> ' at the beginning of each line.

    At http://david.woodhou.se/mail-thread.html you can see an example
    sequence of messages where this is done *correctly* — you can easily see
    who said what, and there isn't a lot of pointless repeated cruft in each
    message.
    David Woodhouse, Jun 1, 2012
  14. On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 13:15 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > Usually my reader (MS Outlook Express) correctly handles replies and inserts
    > ">" at the start of each line of the message being replied to.
    >
    > For some reason some messages (like yours deliberately left below) defy this
    > and the ">" is not inserted. Affects about 5% of replies.

    There is perfectly good software out there, which will manage to compose
    a readable reply in 100% of cases, rather than only 95%.

    For a piece of software whose sole purpose is communication, 95% isn't a
    particularly good success rate, don't you think?

    I take it you have no support for this broken software that you're
    using, and don't have its source code, and hence have no prospect of
    actually getting it *fixed*?

    You'd be doing us all a favour, and almost certainly yourself too, if
    you switched to one of the many non-broken alternatives.
    David Woodhouse, Jun 4, 2012
  15. On Sun, 2012-06-03 at 13:17 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
    > >> Alas it does not quite work like that with mine the call tends to
    > >> go to the last registered handset to call out.

    > > If an incoming call goes to just one device that suggests its
    > > placing that last call has caused all the other devices to become
    > > unregistered.

    > No they are still registered and can call without re-registering.
    > The server is choosing which registered handset to ring.

    I have a vague recollection of seeing similar behaviour in the past.
    I believe I reported it as a fault, and it doesn't happen any more.
    David Woodhouse, Jun 4, 2012
  16. Malcolm Loades

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Malcolm Loades
    <> scribeth thus
    >We require a single 'phone number which then forwards to another number
    >(this must be a mobile). Problem is that the mobile number may need to
    >be changed 2 or 3 times a day.
    >
    >It would be easy if we had access to a PC each time we need to change
    >the number to receive the forwarded calls, but we don't :-( Does anyone
    >offer forwarding which can be controlled from a handset?
    >
    >Malcolm

    Malcolm..

    We've managed to do this on VoIPfone and perhaps it may well work with
    others using a Linksys SPA3102.

    You can enter a number of codes like *72 wait for the 2nd dialtone enter
    the number to divert to then clear down. When you want to cancel divert
    then *73 and divert off.

    You can also use other * whatever numbers to do div on no answer and
    after a number of rings which you can set its all in there and
    works:)...

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Jun 4, 2012
  17. Malcolm Loades

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:15:18 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
    <> wrote:

    >Dear David,
    >
    >Usually my reader (MS Outlook Express) correctly handles replies and inserts
    >">" at the start of each line of the message being replied to.
    >
    >For some reason some messages (like yours deliberately left below) defy this
    >and the ">" is not inserted. Affects about 5% of replies.

    This behaviour of Outlook Express in selectively not correctly quoting
    messages sent by other newsreaders is will known (even if not well
    understood, by me anyway).

    It's inability to quote correctly when following up a post made via
    Google Groups is particularly well known, although that is not the
    case here.

    This was the reason I abandoned Outlook Express some time ago, that,
    and it's refusal to put a pre defined signature at the *foot* of the
    post rather than the top.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%