    which is incidentally "active"?
    Cheers,
    Brian
    Brian Griffin, Mar 28, 2009

  2. "Brian Griffin" <> wrote in message
    news:qqtzl.62199$2...
    > After several days of trial and error removing a ICH5R RAID and going back
    > to two separate drives, I have got XP working on one of the drives that
    > originally formed the RAID, but unfortunately this drive is now labelled
    > "I". I
    > have copied an image of this drive to the other former RAID drive and
    > labelled this drive "C". I went back into the BIOS to get it to boot from
    > drive C, but changing the drive boot sequence did not have the desired
    > effect but just changed over the names of the drives which I had given
    > them.
    > The computer still boots from drive I. How do I get it to boot from drive
    > C,
    > which is incidentally "active"?
    > Cheers,
    > Brian

    I ran into a similar issue -- multiple drives, and the boot drive was
    renamed away from C -- and I had to remove all of the drives and boot from
    only drive remaining. This forced it to be renamed C, then the other drives
    plugged in afterwards picked up the subsequent letters. Plug in the USB
    drives last, and any other hard drives after C gets named and before the USB
    drives are installed.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 28, 2009

  3. Cheers Jeff, I'll give it a try.
    Brian

    Brian Griffin, Mar 28, 2009
  4. All Windows operating systems want to boot from C. C is the default drive to
    boot from.

    Additional drives are designated in alphabetical order. Your boot drive got
    removed from the device manager at some point, and all of the other drives
    moved up in the hirarcy, then the boot drive came back into the mix and was
    assigned the next available drive letter, in this case it was I because all
    of the lower letters were already assigned and are not bootable.

    Maybe what you need to do is remove all of the drives except the one you
    wish to boot from, then boot to the XP installation CD and do a reinstall or
    repair. This should force the drive letter back to C for that drive.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 29, 2009
  5. Hi Jeff,

    Brian Griffin, Mar 29, 2009
  6. If I do a repair, will it wipe out all the customisations which I done to
    XP?

    Brian Griffin, Mar 30, 2009
  7. Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.

    My instinct is no, Windows should not kill your settings. Windows should
    only look at the stuff it did and fix it. This would imply to me that the
    stuff you did would remain intact.

    The way I see it, Win is going to look for a particular file(s) to replace
    it(them), and any other files it finds it should ignore. If your work uses a
    Win file, then it should still use the Win file after it is repaired, and it
    if put in new files, Win should ignore them.

    Having said that, I don't really know what is going to happen relative to
    your RAID settings. XP supports RAID, so it should be okay with yours.

    I think that what has happened is your system was booted with the drives
    removed for one reason or another. If this happened, then the existing
    drives would be renamed starting with C, and your HDD when it was finally
    reintroduced would get the next available letter, and it is also the boot
    drive because the prior letters are assigned to non-boot volumes. Now, you
    are trying to get the boot drive back to C.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 30, 2009
  8. I caught a glimpse of "Brian Griffin" <>
    on Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:27:31 +0100, writing in alt.computer:

    >Hi Jeff,
    >I did exactly as you said but had no luck I'm afraid. It appears that my
    >copy of XP seems to call the drive it is booting from Drive I. I suppose
    >there might be a registry entry saying this, which was written when XP was
    >installed and drive I was the first bootable drive it came across. The
    >battle continues. I've been on the Acronis site to see if their Disk
    >Director Suite 10 can do it.

    I had a similar problem with a new WinXP Pro install.
    It isn't just a registry problem.

    I had to resort to Partition Magic to rename drives and format C: and
    make it a primary and I had to be careful not to delete data on d: & e:
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Mar 30, 2009