    I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
    to do it or should I just leave it alone
    Lewis Engle

    Lewis Engle, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Lewis Engle

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:40:09 GMT, "Lewis Engle" <>,wrote:

    >What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999 can
    >I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
    >to do it or should I just leave it alone
    >Lewis Engle

    Leave it alone.

    Meat-->Plow, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Lewis Engle

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:40:09 GMT, Lewis Engle wrote:

    >What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999 can
    >I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
    >to do it or should I just leave it alone

    Leave it alone, unless you need support for a newer CPU/bit of hardware
    or a specific bug fix.

    Generally to u/g a bios you need,
    DOS boot floppy, with
    the new BIOS image file and flash utility.

    Oh, and no power failure for about 5 minutes.

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Lewis Engle

    Buffalo Guest

    "Lewis Engle" <t> wrote in message
    > What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999

    can
    > I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech

    things
    > to do it or should I just leave it alone
    > Lewis Engle

    Flashing the BIOS is a fairly simple thing to do, if all the instructions
    are followed precisely..
    However, a power surge or power loss during the 'flash' could render your
    computer non-functional.
    Same thing if you somehow use the wrong BIOS (one not for your particular
    motherboard brand and model).
    Unless you need the benefit of a newer BIOS, you shouldn't really try it.
    Some of the newer Asus motherboards have the option of doing it while in
    Windows and online.
    Most require you to go into regular DOS (not a DOS window).
    Go to your motherboard mfg's website or PC's mfg website and get all the
    info you need there.

    Buffalo, Oct 10, 2003